Recordings are always 2 minutes off

Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
I'm wondering if this is a KTVI Fox 2 station issue alone and not a DIRECTV specific issue, but I thought I'd ask here and get feedback.

We record Hot Bench and Judge Judy in the afternoon's and the first part of the cases for 3:00, 3:30, 4:00, & 4:30 are always out of sync.

I.E. the first part of the 4:30 episode is at the end of the 4:00 one.

I've come to realize they seem to begin their news at 4:58.

I'm not sure how much of the day is off, but, cannot figure out why they are doing this.

It really causes issues if you watch out of order because you miss the beginning.

Thanks for any insight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's your local station, it's a very common problem. Here in DFW the channel 8 ABC news, particularly at 10pm, consistently starts 2 minutes early. And on several stations, many of the syndicated programs in the afternoon start at times a few minutes different from the schedule.
If you set up the series link for this program only to say "start 2 minutes early" for the episodes then each case will start using a different tuner than the one already recording.So you will have two tuners recording instead of one, at least for two minutes.
Note that the DVR usually starts a program slightly early but since these programs are on the same channel and consecutive the "early buffer" does not apply. You will need to adjust the series link time as I suggest.

One other thing to look at is, see if the shows are scheduled for say 4:00pm or if it actually says something like 4:02 pm.
Ive seen a lot of times the show is scheduled to start a few minutes late (or early, nbut usually late).

I think the OP is saying they all start early....

According to the guide they should start on time. The stations clock seems to be 2 minutes off. I just adjusted the season pass. Will see what happens tomorrow.

According to the guide they should start on time. The stations clock seems to be 2 minutes off. I just adjusted the season pass. Will see what happens tomorrow.

Is it a particular network or many ?
I was thinking, maybe you want to talk to the Engineer at that Network.

These are not networked shows as such. It is syndicated programming which essentially is recorded and then the local station plays it back at a time they choose. My guess is that the early news start time is deliberate and it's tied up with getting higher rates for the commercial breaks during the news programming. I really doubt that the station clock is wrong.

These are not networked shows as such. It is syndicated programming which essentially is recorded and then the local station plays it back at a time they choose. My guess is that the early news start time is deliberate and it's tied up with getting higher rates for the commercial breaks during the news programming. I really doubt that the station clock is wrong.

I'm not suggesting their clock is wrong, just frustrated they think it's necessary to put things 2 minutes off.

It just messes up the recordings. You have to watch at least the end of a 4:00 episode to catch the beginning of a 4:30 episode for instance.

Yes. try my suggestion for the series link anyway, I think this will solve the problem.

Thanks for this solution.

It has been working very well.

As stated by Texasbrit, with the DVR starting recording a bit early, it was only necessary to adjust the pass to start the recording 1 minute early.

The photos below show that they do indeed start their 5PM news at 4:58. I know their clock isn't off. I guess they just need a couple of extra minutes for the news!!

The daily evening news 5PM news still begins at 4:58, but what I have done is working.

Pleased I could help. As I said, my local ABC station does the same thing for their 10pm news.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)