Recovering Dead AZBOX

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

beavs2112

Addicted to Legal FTA
Original poster
Jan 28, 2010
London Ontario Canada
had problems when upgrading firmware from 5020 to E2.

it is stuck on booting and doesn't recognize any USB stick. removin the second tuner didn't help either. i can't access the box via the nework port (or USB for that matter) via any program (filezila/maz/azup/ftpd32az edit etc. ) the rj45 port leds are orange not green so tried even a cross cable.

tried the method in the dead az recovery procedure. basically that procedure is to connect to the box via rs-232. power up the box and during the boot cycle interrupt it then send some commands to get the rj-45 working again. then you can reload things.
i can connect via rs-232 and i see data but it is gibberish. i've tried every data rate/bits/parity/flow control combination on the serial connection. also the rs-232 program has a language translator and i tried every language and format available. so i tried loading the files anyway but no good.

haven't given up though. even if i can't revive her i've learned a few valuable lessons.

tried checking the IDE DOM on my windows PC but it doesn't show up. I think i fried the DOM cause it's polarity sensitive and i plugged it in backwards. glad my pc is ok. the DOM's are available here in Canuckland for $20 bucks. when my new plus arrives next week (anxiously awaiting) i'm gonna carefully try making a copy of ALL of the programs in it's memory. since the az is like a computer gonna try treating her like one. back up the hard drive/memory.

thanks for the updates. i know its never easy discussing ones frustrations. hopefully with a replacement DOM you will be back up in running. so that others may learn from your (hopefully) successful recovery, if you are able to take any pictures or show what steps you used to get back up would be welcome.

one other thought which you may have already tried. as it sounds like the original patch file may have been corrupt, have you tried reformatting usb stick and putting on new copy of patch.bin?

Hello Beavs

Hello Beavs
Have you try this program to upload the ENIGMA 2 it comes with notes on how to use it.
AZUp v.1.2.5
Regards.
Chewie

he said has no access to the box over the network so a new ver of azup prob wont help unless he can get it to boot to usb

When I tried the E2 I nearly boogied up my receiver! It was hard to swap back to the 5020. I had to use a regular b/w tv to be able to see what I was doing as far as reinstating 5020.(Couldn't do it with my big screen tv).
Even if the E2 is acceptable to use with the AZBoxes, I will have to wait awhile before trying again. I paid too much money for my Ultra to screw up!!!

thanks mr3P :) i'll check it out.

my new premium plus and hdd arrived ahead of schedule yesterday :) so i spent all afternoon and evening copying as much data as i could off it. i got it from dr. sat here in canada and he put a new sat/tp list in it so i copied that also. some files in the new one seem to be protected somehow since i couldn't copy them via ftp. it probably involves some linux commands to unlock them and i didn't want to brick my second one so i left them alone. again my knowledge of linux commands is way too limited to attempt it. i formatted the new drive in the unit and that worked fine. i put that drive in the bricked one but it still says booting so i'm convinced the unit is seriously corrupted. how that happened i'll never know. maybe when my power supply blew its fuse it damaged some stuff. i don't have a ups so there could have been an electrical disturbance of some kind but all my other gear(pc/tv/amp/blu-ray) is fine. since i couldn't go any further with the dead one i tried E2 in the new one. the upgrade went well. but since their are flaws in the current version of e2 i'm probably gonna go back to 5020. i will try and document as many of the flaws for our european friends as possible so us new worlders get good firmware for us.

ouch .. another reason why I dont go beyond 5020

hi pro96. i am not convinced my troubles with my premium plus are entirely related to attempting to upgrade to e2. it could have happened if i attempted to downgrade to version 5006. don't forget the fuse in my power supply blew so maybe when that happened it damaged the plus. i don't have any equipment to regulate or clean the hydro in my house so there could have been an electrical disturbance of some kind but all my other gear(pc/tv/amp/blu-ray) is fine. i live in a metropolitan city of 300,000 people so the hydro is pretty stable here.
i know from my experience as a military grade electronic components assembler and test technician that static electrical damage can show up as problems weeks after the intial electrical shock occured.

Last edited:
my TTL to RS-232 converter showed up today. I followed the satpimps guide to recovering the box and it worked :) the other one should work also. so just to clarify the AZ uses TTL signal levels NOT rs-232 as stated by some. i got my TTL to RS-232 converter from here:
hxxp://www.rs232-converters.com/rs232-to_ttl3.3_converters.htm i chose the 3.3V model cause that was one of the voltages i measured on the AZ connector. you might be able to find some cheaper so....
also another member messaged me saying he was also able to recover his AZ so it IS possible.

Great news. I ordered one on Ebay last week just for the peace of mind that should crap hit the fan I'd be able to recover.

1_189.jpg My cable arrived today. Hope I never need to use it but just in case !@#$ hits the fan I'll be ready.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)