Recovery Kit

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
Direct is sending out a recovery kit for a bad receiver they just sent me yesterday. How does this work? How is it sent? How do you send it back. USPS Fedex etc?

They send you a box with packaging and a label in it via FedEx.

Instructions are in it...
put receiver in packaging (bubble wrap)
seal box
put label on
take to whoever they use to ship it (UPS, USPS, FedEx)

Its prepaid

They didn't give me much info over the phone. The girl seemed annoyed since I called back & wanted it to go to my billing address. She made me switch my SA there to get the computer to work for her. She seemed cold when I wanted info. In fact when I told the tech guy earlier I had both the D-11 & D12 sitting on top of each other and 2 dishes hooked up for testing to try to figure out things today he seemed like I shouldn't have been doing that. Well Duh how do you troubleshoot then? I should have told him I had a D-10 & old Hughes hooked up too and was looking at the video on 101 on all of them and comparing, that would have blown his mind. They should be happy I did the troubleshooting I did. It saved them the hassle of sending out another reconditioned whatever.

they usually dont tell you the info I gave above. This is from doing the actual process twice for me (swapped a R15 for a new R22 and swapped a crappy R15 from goodwill with the new R22 when the R15 died) and twice for my mom (when she upgraded a D12 for a HD receiver and then there was a D12 they had from a long time ago that D* never asked for it back)

I checked my DirecTv account online today and it shows nothing of a pending order for a recovery kit. Will that show up?

It wont show in pending orders since from what I remember its a different system they use to create them. Give it a week and if it doesnt show up call back.

Thanks Ice. I just don't want them to charge me for a receiver they never got back. Too many horror stories on the net.

nah you'll be fine. Like I say if the kit doesnt come in a week just call them back and tell them you didnt get a return box. Thats what happened the 1st time for me. The order didnt complete so they created a new order and 4 days later I had the box

As for the charge, my mom had a D12 that was deactivated a year earlier (upgraded to a HD box) and they never sent a kit to send it back. When she upgraded another D12 to a HD receiver they finally sent 2 recovery kits. I had to call them a couple times to get them to send one for the earlier D12 :)

Thanks again, I'll give it a week. Well the D-11 worked all last night, I left the tv on till 4am. I think the factory MR and rehit cleared the issue. All these computer based units get corrupted from time to time even 4D's. I can't think of how many times over the years I had to do hard boots on FTA receivers. Bring back the old fashioned mechanical devices.

I've only gone thru the process once but recall I had to call after a couple weeks. Then FEDEX delivered it to a neighbor who brought it to me. In fairness it's a rural area.
Seems like the return shipping label is tear-off that also has the FEDEX tracking number on your half. If not suggest writing it down. Later I could track the package back to DTV. Also I vaguely recall it did show up on my account. It's been awhile so details are fuzzy.

If most people have to call back to get their kits it tells me they don't want the stuff back they are more interested in charging you for it. I get the feeling they pull this to bamboozle the unsuspecting public out of money. Pretty bad way of doing business.

I just called and got a fedex tracking # for a very old R15 that went bad. I deactivated April 1 and the fedex site says the recovery kit will be here April 8. I guess the week everyone is saying is correct.

If most people have to call back to get their kits it tells me they don't want the stuff back they are more interested in charging you for it. I get the feeling they pull this to bamboozle the unsuspecting public out of money. Pretty bad way of doing business.

I highly doubt that. When I called the 1st time to replace the R15 the rep did the order but didnt complete it for some reason. The 2nd time I swapped receivers I got my kit in 4 days
My mom's thing...well Directv never billed her for the receiver :)

Is there a way I can track when I get it and if it gets back to Direct and use that info for proof in case Direct tries to pull something.

Is there a way I can track when I get it and if it gets back to Direct and use that info for proof in case Direct tries to pull something.

bluerdige posted above
Seems like the return shipping label is tear-off that also has the FEDEX tracking number on your half.

I will see if I can address everything in one post.

1. we always want the equipment back enough said. ( though there are some exceptions )
2. When an ERP (tech ordered replacement ) , or we deactivate the reciever , , or an account in closed our order system should automatically send out a recovery kit except in the case of an ERP where they just put a return shipping label in the box of the new receiver to ship back the old. Well for some technical reason the automatic recovery kit does not always go through . Then someone will call about not getting a recovery kit and we end manually ordering it. Other times it does go through Fedex says they delivered but the customer said no they didnt and we send another one out.
3. Recovery kits are generally shipped out via fedex and the return label is now in most areas a pre paid USPS return label.

I got the box today. It has a label and says take it to the post office or give it to my carrier. I will take it to the PO, my carrier never delivers my mail properly it will get lost if I give that yahoo it for sure. Should I scan and print the label for my records or will the PO issue me a receipt for the package. I want to make sure Direct gets the bad D-12 and they don't try to charge my card for something they didn't get. The PO is terrible by me I hate shipping stuff through them.

I would scan the label for your records. I think there is a tracking number on there otherwise you should be able to get delivery confirmation on it for like 50 cents

Did anyone get the accessories envelope the return instructions describe? Mine may have gotten lost when the recovery box was shipped. The return instructions were sticking out the bottom of the box. Do you have to send anything back besides the rec. and remote?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)