Rectangular dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyinggreg

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Columbus,OH
Anyone seen those rectangular looking dishes on places like gas stations? Anyone know what those are about? Anyone know how they compare to the 40x30 p*? they seem they would be excellent for selectivity between satellites that are spaced close together and want to receive a narrow sector (mini-bud - hint, hint). Anyone know where to get one other than the local BP?:devil:

Last edited:
Seen many on Gas stations as you described, I have my eye on a dish thats sitting on a Franks Nursery that has closed down almost 2 years now.

jayelem said:
Seen many on Gas stations as you described, I have my eye on a dish thats sitting on a Franks Nursery that has closed down almost 2 years now.

Hmmmm.......dark moonless night, ninja suit, police scanner, toolbox, ladder...:devil:

flyinggreg said:
Hmmmm.......dark moonless night, ninja suit, police scanner, toolbox, ladder...:devil:

I'd probably look like Chris Farley in that Ninja spoof movie, anyways not my kind of adventure, I'm like 8 minutes away walking distance and know the territory , and Mall security would be on my butt in no time, that and the fact that the Po-Leece in my town don't mess around.:D

Well, electronical speaking when talking about signal propagation (yada-yada-yada), if you have an ellipsoidal (or rectangular) antenna with the major axis is the horizontal axis and the vertical axis is the minor axis (it's wider at the horizontal axis vs vertical) you will have greater attenuation in the horizontal plane, increasing received signal gain in the vertical. That makes it more directional in azimuth. Now, if the axis are swapped (it's tall and skinny), then the reverse happens. The antenna will be directional in theelevation. For something like c-band mini-buds, where you want to be directional over azimuth, you want to mount the ellipsoidal antenna with the major axis in the horizontal.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)