Red Ring on start up

golface

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
Hi guys
I turned on my 360 this AM and got the dreaded RROD. But I restarted and it booted up fine. Does this mean I should expect my 360 to die any day now??
Thanks

RROD is an indication of hardware failure, and things like the power or video cable can cause it to appear. There is a difference between 2, 3, and 4 red lights. Check your video and power connectors. Unless it starts freezing or doing other suspect things, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

if it happens again, I would call MSoft and see what they want to do, they may be proactive and have it replaced before it really dies...

Mine has done that a couple of times. Make sure your power cable is plugged in all the way. That solved my problem.

lOOK YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR XBOX AND BASICALLY DISSASSEMBLE THE WHOLE THING AND GET THE MOBO OUT. TAKE OFF THE X-CLAMPS BECAUSE THERE FLAWED AND THEN REPLACE WITH SCREWS AND WASHERS i WILL POST A LINK TO THE TUTORIAL. GHERE YOU GO.
http://copronymous.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/fix-for-the-3rlod.pdf

IF YOU HVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS

This sounds like a terrible idea to ME, man! If this is like a one time thing, I really wouldn't sweat it yet. I'd follow the others' advice and check your connections. I've seen specific threads on the RROD, and recall seeing one in particular that specifies what each light (i.e. one light, two lights, etc...) mean, as well as trouble-shooting them... I believe it was on the XBOX forums. If it's a recurring problem, you might consider contacting Microsoft themselves. I mean, you DID buy the EXTENDED warranty... right?! Lol...:eek:

RROD is still under warranty for all consoles. They'll fix it free, and pay shipping. Just got mine back last week. It's a launch system.

Hi guys
I turned on my 360 this AM and got the dreaded RROD. But I restarted and it booted up fine. Does this mean I should expect my 360 to die any day now??
Thanks

You might as well post in the Another one bites the dust thread and call MS to get your coffin.

You might as well post in the Another one bites the dust thread and call MS to get your coffin.

Which is kinda like your car not starting and calling a mechanic only to have him tell you that the key has to be in the ignition.

Red lights are a diagnostic tool, not a gravestone. Often it's not the full ring, indicating the video or power needs to be plugged in properly.

Which is kinda like your car not starting and calling a mechanic only to have him tell you that the key has to be in the ignition.

Red lights are a diagnostic tool, not a gravestone. Often it's not the full ring, indicating the video or power needs to be plugged in properly.

If he woke up to the 3 rings then most likely he had a power outage (maybe only a brief one) during the middle of the night.

I have gotten several when the power has gone off, even for a second.

RROD is still under warranty for all consoles. They'll fix it free, and pay shipping. Just got mine back last week. It's a launch system.

How long did it take to get yours back? I ask because I had to send my launch system in last week.

I am speaking from the experience of the 200 plus members of my gaming group. This is a SURE indication of bad things to come.

I am speaking from the experience of the 200 plus members of my gaming group. This is a SURE indication of bad things to come.

Right but what you're prescribing is akin to someone getting a BSOD so they get Dell to send a new computer and let it sit there at the BSOD for 4 weeks waiting for it instead of doing what it says at the bottom 'if this is the first time you've seen this screen just reboot'.

POST beeps don't mean a motherboard is bad.

A car alarm going off doesn't mean your car is being stolen (especially while you are sitting in it fumbling with keys).

To insist someone forsake 4+ weeks of gaming, lose their console ID so they have to be online for every purchase they've made, disable the ability for other gamertags to play that purchased content when the purchaser is not signed on... is not a reasonable suggestion.

Right but what you're prescribing is akin to someone getting a BSOD so they get Dell to send a new computer and let it sit there at the BSOD for 4 weeks waiting for it instead of doing what it says at the bottom 'if this is the first time you've seen this screen just reboot'.

POST beeps don't mean a motherboard is bad.

A car alarm going off doesn't mean your car is being stolen (especially while you are sitting in it fumbling with keys).

To insist someone forsake 4+ weeks of gaming, lose their console ID so they have to be online for every purchase they've made, disable the ability for other gamertags to play that purchased content when the purchaser is not signed on... is not a reasonable suggestion.

I understand what your saying, but this is not a car and this is not a computer.
This problem is not going to magically fix itself, hence the reason MS extended the warranty on the 3 red rings.

I had a temporary problem with the red rings when I had a Nyko Intercooler hooked up to my 360. I bought it to keep it cool after hearing about all the overheating problems, however, after doing some research online I found out that the way this device connects between the console and the power supply can cause problems since it sucks away some of the voltage to the 360.

Once I removed the Intercooler, the occasional rings and accompanying error message (which I have since forgotten) has gone away. However, as others have mentioned, there are several other bad things that may be causing your problem that may lead to a console failure in the future.

I just got some red rings yesterday, make sure all the cables are attached tight, I had to re-attach the cables which fixed my issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts