refurbishing old dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

satus751

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2009
texas
hello all

Need some expert help.....was able to locate a 4'9" fiberglass satellite dish. the depth on the dish when a flat 2 x4 placed across it measures at 8 5/8 inches. The problem the dish had its arms(to hold the scaler ring) removed and could not be located. I have some from a old 8ft that i can use but need to figure out the length they need to be. Was told the old dish was a spitfire but could not find any info on the net. Hoping to refurbish it and put in to good use.

hello all

Need some expert help.....was able to locate a 4'9" fiberglass satellite dish. the depth on the dish when a flat 2 x4 placed across it measures at 8 5/8 inches. .

Hi satus751. Those measurements sound like an offset style ku dish not a prime focus c-band.

Was told the old dish was a spitfire but could not find any info on the net.

Spitfire sounds like a ku-band lnbf.

Pictures of the dish will help us help you.

refurbishing 4.5 sat dish

okay here are the pictures of the dish and mount. the blacked out portions and the red out i did so no one accuses me of promoting the sat dealer. Also what type of paint can i use on this fiberglass dish. can it be sanded and what grit number should i use.

Attachments

• 20131118_181722.jpg
    20131118_181722.jpg
    798.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 20131118_181758.jpg
    20131118_181758.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 20131118_181815.jpg
    20131118_181815.jpg
    1,002.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 20131118_181820.jpg
    20131118_181820.jpg
    933.1 KB · Views: 174
Why bother? Of what possible use could you put it to? A really big pizza dish?

hello all

Need some expert help.....was able to locate a 4'9" fiberglass satellite dish. the depth on the dish when a flat 2 x4 placed across it measures at 8 5/8 inches. The problem the dish had its arms(to hold the scaler ring) removed and could not be located. I have some from a old 8ft that i can use but need to figure out the length they need to be. Was told the old dish was a spitfire but could not find any info on the net. Hoping to refurbish it and put in to good use.

Ignore all the naysayers. I have that dish in my storage pile. Used it until I could get a 7.5ft mesh. Mine is an EchoStar, with same dimensions. I removed the original feed and replaced it so it sits at 21 1/4" focal distance.

The three struts are 29" long with 1" at each end bent flat. One bolt to each leg at the feedhorn.

I'll show you a picture when I get a chance to go out there.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I called it a five footer...

I high pressure washed mine and spray painted it with flat gray primer.. Worked fine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    911.9 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    742.5 KB · Views: 137
Thank you T4Runner and i am not paying any attention to the naysayers......haha......have two 8ft set up now..... 1 in the front of the house and 1 in the backyard.....this one will be for testing what i can bring in with a meduim size dish......would not consider this a mini dish as most people are playing with old primestar dishes. will look at my dish and determine where i can put the legs for the scalar......the dealer drilled some other holes to anchor the dish but your pictures should help. will let you how successful i am........as for the paint on the dish all the lettering i took it to a car wash and attempted to to wash it of but it would not come off.

Thank you T4Runner and i am not paying any attention to the naysayers......haha......have two 8ft set up now..... 1 in the front of the house and 1 in the backyard.....this one will be for testing what i can bring in with a meduim size dish......would not consider this a mini dish as most people are playing with old primestar dishes. will look at my dish and determine where i can put the legs for the scalar......the dealer drilled some other holes to anchor the dish but your pictures should help. will let you how successful i am........as for the paint on the dish all the lettering i took it to a car wash and attempted to to wash it of but it would not come off.

Okay. But I used the wrong words when I measured that dish. That 21 1/4" was to the scalar, without a LNBF on it, not the focal distance. Also if you have a couple other dishes, then you know the top struts should have a slot to allow adjustment of the scalar distance. Mine did not have that.

Posted Via The SatelliteGuys Reader App!

got it.....was planning on cutting the old struts at the bottom so i can keep the top slotted holes for the scalar.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)