Regional sports channels

Does anyone know if Dish is still in talks about getting the Fox regional sports channels back or as John Lennon once sang, the dream is over, what can I say

Or perhaps B.B. King singing "The Thrill is Gone" or Steam "Na Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Them Goodbye"

3b1da8e1762ba34e8c45952a88d361a7.jpg

I saw this on Twitter -

RCN here in Chicago had a rate increase in January based off of what they projected Marquee Sports Network would cost, and now they are increasing their rates by another $2.40 because of how much more expensive Marquee is than they expected. 2 rate hikes in less than 90 days.

The more I read these things, the more unlikely I see the RSN's ever coming back unless they are put at the highest tier or an add-on package. I was hoping I would see NBC Sports Chicago come baseball season, but...

I saw this on Twitter -

RCN here in Chicago had a rate increase in January based off of what they projected Marquee Sports Network would cost, and now they are increasing their rates by another $2.40 because of how much more expensive Marquee is than they expected. 2 rate hikes in less than 90 days.

The more I read these things, the more unlikely I see the RSN's ever coming back unless they are put at the highest tier or an add-on package. I was hoping I would see NBC Sports Chicago come baseball season, but...

So they based an increase (increase # 1 ) on a guess of how much the channel would cost? Evidently they didn't have a contract or they would have known the price. Good thing the price wasn't so high that they had to have a second increase of $10.00 . I guess they were going to have that channel no matter what the cost, and just stick it to the customer. :rolleyes:

Have the Cubs signed with Comcast yet?...That has to be 50% or more of the Chicago market.

I heard in interview with the local Cardinal owners that MLB has approved local in market streaming with out having to belong to a provider. Hope it is this year.

Clubs can negotiate their own local deals - and can go to streaming if they like going forward. This may come in the future, but unlikely right now - you see the local RSNs have locked up exclusivity. So they'd have to renegotiate any existing deals in place, first. Unlikely - because the RSN is paying for exclusivity. And if they do not get it, then why pay the huge sum?

Have the Cubs signed with Comcast yet?...That has to be 50% or more of the Chicago market.

Anyone know when DISH's current contract to carry Sinclair-owned local channels expires? The most recent reference I can find to the last time they renewed that contract was in Aug. 2015.

Seems like we might be getting close to time for another renewal. (Maybe it's a 5-year deal?)

What I'm getting at is that I would expect Sinclair to try to force all their channels on DISH in any new contract, both locals and RSNs. So if Sinclair's Fox Sports RSNs are ever going to return to DISH, that's when I'd expect to see it happen. (It's also possible at that time that we see all those Sinclair-owned locals in nearly 100 markets across the nation completely disappear from DISH if both sides completely walk away from the table, as Charlie has done more than once before.)

Anyone know when DISH's current contract to carry Sinclair-owned local channels expires? The most recent reference I can find to the last time they renewed that contract was in Aug. 2015.

2021. Not sure what month. I posted this link in another thread somewhere. Head down to the area where it talks about Dish and Sinclair RSN's.

Reactions: NashGuy
Remember when I said this months before the channels were removed?

I will have a solution if they do not settle by march. I'll be in contact with you about it. Chuck U
Nothing will be settled. Dish's position is one that Sinclair will never accept. Dish simply isn't big enough to demand special treatment and change the entire RSN model. It is one thing for Dish to make a strategic decision not to carry RSN's anymore, but it is slightly offensive for them to repeatedly imply that negotiations are ongoing. Just be honest and tell your customers that RSN's are not coming back, rather than stringing people along. Maybe there will be changes to the RSN model in the long term, but it will take a lot more than a Dish holdout for that to happen.

Reactions: zippyfrog
Nothing will be settled. Dish's position is one that Sinclair will never accept. Dish simply isn't big enough to demand special treatment and change the entire RSN model. It is one thing for Dish to make a strategic decision not to carry RSN's anymore, but it is slightly offensive for them to repeatedly imply that negotiations are ongoing. Just be honest and tell your customers that RSN's are not coming back, rather than stringing people along. Maybe there will be changes to the RSN model in the long term, but it will take a lot more than a Dish holdout for that to happen.
They make up over 11% of the US pay tv population, and if it works for them, it’s not hard to believe others such as Comcast will follow next. Why is it offensive that they remain open to a deal and haven’t closed Sinclair off? Although it is unlikely for the channels to return, even with the locals negotiations(Sinclair cannot legally use the locals as a negotiation tool as it would go against good faith negotiations), that doesn’t mean they don’t want them back. They just will not pay fees that customers are unwilling to pay.

Reactions: satjay
Why is it offensive that they remain open to a deal and haven’t closed Sinclair off?
Read between the lines on any comments about their "negotations" with Marquee Sports Network. Cubs' President Crane Kenney recently stated that Dish will accept "nothing less than upending the existing regional sports network business model." So while Dish may be technically open to a deal, they are only open a deal on their own completely unrealistic terms. And again, a provider with roughly 10% of the market is not going to upend the business model by themselves. Statements such as "we are working hard to bring your sports channels back" are disingenuous. I think it is more appropriate to say that Dish has drawn a line in the sand and is sitting back hoping that the market will eventually come back to them. That does not appear to be happening anytime soon.

Reactions: AZ.
So somebody who wants a company to pay them for their channels said something that would encourage that companies customers to harass them and then bitch at them for raising their rates, and that is what we are going to use as our line in the sand?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts