Regional Sports Fee

ppappas

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 10, 2004
San Jose, CA
Has anyone tried and successfully had their regional sport fee removed from their bill? I just had a typical useless chat session with Dish asking what the fee was and why it was added starting in February. Of course the response was because of the increased programming cost. I asked if I could cancel it and was told I can't because it's part of the Top 250 package. If it can't be canceled why is it a separate fee and why isn't it just part of the Top 250 price. Of course they could not answer that since it's not part of their script. I have been a customer for 22 years and it's only $3.00, but it's the principal. I just wonder if it's worth bitching to retention?

Has anyone tried and successfully had their regional sport fee removed from their bill? I just had a typical useless chat session with Dish asking what the fee was and why it was added starting in February. Of course the response was because of the increased programming cost. I asked if I could cancel it and was told I can't because it's part of the Top 250 package. If it can't be canceled why is it a separate fee and why isn't it just part of the Top 250 price. Of course they could not answer that since it's not part of their script. I have been a customer for 22 years and it's only $3.00, but it's the principal. I just wonder if it's worth bitching to retention?
It's a separate fee because certain areas have more RSN channels or more expensive RSNs than others, so rather than charge everyone the same, they charge only certain areas. For instance my area has no additional fee.

At least that is how it was designed before the RSNs went into dispute and COVID stopped all live sports. That's a different argument.

And you'll also find that most if not all other cable/sat providers have this fee and have a much higher fee than Dish.

OK, I get that, but did that all of the sudden change this year? Thanks for the explanation though, I didn't realize the fee was different for different regions.

OK, I get that, but did that all of the sudden change this year? Thanks for the explanation though, I didn't realize the fee was different for different regions.
I thought it changed at the beginning of 2019, but I could be wrong as it's not on my bill.

Hello, ppappas. The Regional Sports Surcharge fee was introduced this year in January and added to applicable accounts in certain areas. You can find more information about this change and view the different fee amounts based on zip code here.

Yes, I understand that. However, if Dish is going to break out certain channels in a separate fee, we should have the option to drop those channels. You did that with local channels and the same should be true with these regional sports channels. At some point, this nonsense as to stop.

Reactions: Gobucks
Yes, I understand that. However, if Dish is going to break out certain channels in a separate fee, we should have the option to drop those channels. You did that with local channels and the same should be true with these regional sports channels. At some point, this nonsense as to stop.

The thinking is that this is also local. Some areas have networks with high fees and other have none or low fees.

It's not a break out of a separate fee, otherwise it would be a lot higher, like$10-$20 or more. The majority of the cost is built into the package, but a surcharge is added in more expensive markets.

The only way to have optional access to regional or national channels {but not all) is to subscribe to the Flex pack.

It's not a break out of a separate fee, otherwise it would be a lot higher, like$10-$20 or more. The majority of the cost is built into the package, but a surcharge is added in more expensive markets.

The only way to have optional access to regional or national channels {but not all) is to subscribe to the Flex pack.

Can you get international channels with the Flex pack? If not, that’s a non-starter. My wife is from Greece and watches the Greek channels most of the time

Can you get international channels with the Flex pack? If not, that’s a non-starter. My wife is from Greece and watches the Greek channels most of the time

Great question! Currently, the Flex Pack is not eligible to have international base packages added. We are always looking for ways to offer our customers more options. Keep an eye on us, we might surprise you with new additions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)