Relocating an 8 or 10 foot dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bigjohn2345

Original poster
Apr 28, 2020
Booneville, MS
Hello all,
Recently I've been able to find a large dish that is either 8 or 10 foot, I'm not sure of the exact width except that it is quite large. The dish seems to be solid steel or some sort of alloy, indicated by some visible rust, so it probably weighs a good bit. It is assembled in at least 8 sections and a few of the sections are smaller than others. I don't know much else about it other than that most of the bolts are rusty and the dish mount is pretty big. Does anyone have experiences or helpful information to share regarding how I should go about relocating the dish? How much help will I need? What equipment/supplies could come in handy? I should add that I don't need to relocate the pole, as there is already one from the previous owner of equal size that used to support a similar dish.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Hello all,
Recently I've been able to find a large dish that is either 8 or 10 foot, I'm not sure of the exact width except that it is quite large. The dish seems to be solid steel or some sort of alloy, indicated by some visible rust, so it probably weighs a good bit. It is assembled in at least 8 sections and a few of the sections are smaller than others. I don't know much else about it other than that most of the bolts are rusty and the dish mount is pretty big. Does anyone have experiences or helpful information to share regarding how I should go about relocating the dish? How much help will I need? What equipment/supplies could come in handy? I should add that I don't need to relocate the pole, as there is already one from the previous owner of equal size that used to support a similar dish.
Welcome to Satellite Guys! If you have access to a truck or flat bed trailer your best option would be to haul it home in one piece without disassembly. If you must take it apart be sure to make some kind of marks showing you how the sections are currently joined together so that you can reassemble it back that way. Take photos if possible. My wife and I loaded and hauled a 10ft SAMI (mesh) on the back of my pickup truck from a few miles away without issue. If the dish is solid steel and you keep it in one piece you will likely need more than just the wife to help though. :D Here is a link to my thread about removing/refurbing it. Also, a pic of the dish at it's new home. Good luck! :)

Finally found a 10' dish!!

10FTSAMI.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Melvinfta
Can you post some photos of the front and back and mount of the dish, so we can let you know if it's worth going after? Not ALL dishes are worth saving. You don't want to waste a lot of time on a dish that ultimately won't work for you.

If it's stationary, and not motorized, pass it up if it's going to be your only dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)