Remote control

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
I'm using the Directv remote to run my yamaha a/v receiver, my 55' tv, and my directv. Here's my question, I'm wanting to run all these plus my ps3 as well so would a harmony 650 remote work? I haven't had one before and I don't want to blow a lot of money in it until I know I will like it better. I'm not sure if this will be moved or not, I posted in another forum with no answers so hopefully somebody here can help

I'm using the Directv remote to run my yamaha a/v receiver, my 55' tv, and my directv. Here's my question, I'm wanting to run all these plus my ps3 as well so would a harmony 650 remote work? I haven't had one before and I don't want to blow a lot of money in it until I know I will like it better. I'm not sure if this will be moved or not, I posted in another forum with no answers so hopefully somebody here can help

Will the D* remote not do all of them ?

Hutch1814 said:

I have a Harmony 650 running my Dtv, onkyo, lg tv, wii, and computer.

The harmony really just simplifies things when you have many devices. The only reason I use a harmony is bc it was given to me. It will not power on my computer or wii but it changes the input on the tv to the desired activity while it turns everything off not needed for that activity with one push of a button.

IMO, in your case, getting a harmony just replaces pushing a couple extra buttons on your Dtv remote.

I have used Universal Remote brand remotes, 880 I think it was.
Liked it very well, did everything like SA Holley Springs said, however they are more expensive than I care to spend.

Jimbo, yes it works everything but the PS3 but doesn't turn the yamaha receiver on. Just controls the volume. Thinking I'll just stick to the DTV remote

I have a Universal Remote 980. Anything that's IR can be controlled, it does macros, can follow state of various pieces of equipment and you program it on your computer using URC's Complete Control. Yes, they're expensive, but I went through 4 Harmony remotes in about 3 years. The URC MX-980 is worlds apart from the Harmony line in capabilities and durability.

Well I'm really just trying to get rid of the a/v remote. The only thing I use it for is to turn the unit on and off. Everything else is controlled via the DTV remote. I'll prolly just keep the remote I have and keep getting up to turn the Yamaha on and off

I have a Universal Remote 980. Anything that's IR can be controlled, it does macros, can follow state of various pieces of equipment and you program it on your computer using URC's Complete Control. Yes, they're expensive, but I went through 4 Harmony remotes in about 3 years. The URC MX-980 is worlds apart from the Harmony line in capabilities and durability.

Is that the Color remote, I think I was using the 880, the non color version.
I liked it very well, except in order for it to do RF which I like, I would have to get other equipment and it was going to cost me much more than I wanted to invest in a remote.

Also, I'm use to the D* remote, having to get use to the MX880 with buttons in different positions would be another learning experience.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)