Remote Reaction SOOO Slow!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
there's a sure way to know which is what i've done to prove it's not the remote. use the buttons on the box to perform some commands. i experienced the same lag using the buttons on the DVR. seems like a lack of processing power. needs more juice ;)

I would have to say they either skimped on the ram in the boxes or they just plain need to optimize the software..

The box is the only Complaint about D*, the non DVR's respond better which leads me to my privious statment.

It almost acts like in the windows world when you have a non optimized runaway app that is using to much swap space due to not enough ram.

I notice it the most when recording shows in the backgound

This is the biggest issue that DirecTV seems either unable or unwilling to address. Ive given up on them fixing this. If you are part of the CE program it's an endless cycle of.. "WOAH great Job fixing responsiveness issues!" to "MY DVR is slow again". This has been going on for years now... The debate is, is it the hardware or software? Either way I would not rely on them fixing it.. i'm holding out hope that maybe Tivo will show these boys how to build hardware with their new DVR in 2010.

I have humbly concluded it is a slow processor and/or not enough RAM.I would gladly pay a couple extra bucks for a box with a better CPU.
I remember the good old days when manufacturers competed ,and you could by a box based on features,speed,and manufacturer reputation.I understand why they went the "cable" route of cheap in house made boxes.but for us hardcore guys it isn't cutting it right about now.

This is the biggest issue that DirecTV seems either unable or unwilling to address. Ive given up on them fixing this. If you are part of the CE program it's an endless cycle of.. "WOAH great Job fixing responsiveness issues!" to "MY DVR is slow again". This has been going on for years now... The debate is, is it the hardware or software? Either way I would not rely on them fixing it.. i'm holding out hope that maybe Tivo will show these boys how to build hardware with their new DVR in 2010.

it's the hardware;)

I would have to say they either skimped on the ram in the boxes or they just plain need to optimize the software..

The box is the only Complaint about D*, the non DVR's respond better which leads me to my privious statment.

It almost acts like in the windows world when you have a non optimized runaway app that is using to much swap space due to not enough ram.

I notice it the most when recording shows in the backgound

I have humbly concluded it is a slow processor and/or not enough RAM.I would gladly pay a couple extra bucks for a box with a better CPU.
I remember the good old days when manufacturers competed ,and you could by a box based on features,speed,and manufacturer reputation.I understand why they went the "cable" route of cheap in house made boxes.but for us hardcore guys it isn't cutting it right about now.

good posts guys. that's pretty much how i see it too.

Yeah I don't think they were made for all that D* wants them to do. But to be honest, with all the new stuff D* is doing now, I am surprised they aren't slower than they are. It does seem to be getting better somewhat, so some of it must be software related. Don't feel too bad though, I went to my in-laws who have Comcast also and their HD-DVR box is almost as slow. When I had Comcast 2 years ago, their box was pretty fast. My brother-in-laws Directivo HD DVR is not all that much better than the HR20 that I have.

I think the slowness has become worse over the past few weeks. Yup...I wish they would spend time making sure the basic things work before going out on these other projects.

Am I the only one that has noticed a major delay with the remotes? I mean the reaction time was always delayed but it seems it's gotten much worse. Is there any thing I can do? I have HD DVR-HR-21-700, HD-H-21-100 and 2 D-12's. Yes, all of them have terrible delays when punching in numbers and commands.
Reboot. Press the little red button.

Can't believe nobody has mentioned (or noticed) this yet - the "new", worst delay was brought on by the "scoreguide" feature on the various sports channels. Doing anything with the remote when dialed into a sports channel is excruciatingly slow. I'm not noticing any undue delay on any of the non-sports channels, they all seem to be the same way they've been for years.

They need to give us a way to turn this feature OFF, if they can't fix the performance hit it causes.

I've been saying this for years, and everyone thought I was Nuts!.
I guess I'm not the only one who thought these has issues.:)
i've thought this for awhile too but i still think you're nuts! :D!sadroll

I have noticed the same thing also. But I download the CE's every Friday night when they are available. Sometimes they seem to improve the slowness and unresponsiveness with the remotes in the CE's, but sometimes they go backwards and make them worse again. (I noticed the same thing on my H21 when they launched MRV for it on CE)

When I was on a NR, I noticed that same issues. Sometimes they were slow and sometimes not. So It's gottah be Both Software and Hardware.

This problem has been getting better over the past year or so, but now it's getting worse now, so I am thinking about Switching to Dish Network!!

, so I am thinking about Switching to Dish Network!!
The VIP's are way more stable thats for sure.;)
Plus you don't have to use Beta software in hopes it does good and doesn't makes it worse. I can't believe this is still a issue with D* receivers. My HR-20 while is ok ,Its no perfected receiver at all. The R-16 is still like the Biggest POS that any company ever put out in production. My series 2 Tivo Wips the crap out of that R16 in performance.

I still think a D* Tivo is the answer. Nothing else seems to be.:)

maybe. but whatever the answer might be, i think it's time to move on from the current HR series. they've milked this model long enough.

Status
Please reply by conversation.