Remote work help

Pstrep

Original poster
Jul 29, 2022
Oxford, ny
Buying home in rural area, only option is satellite service. Both my husband and work remotely, each using different VPN's. Is viasat or starlink going to work for us? Or do I need to get out of this contract with house. HELP!!! TIA

Buying home in rural area, only option is satellite service. Both my husband and work remotely, each using different VPN's. Is viasat or starlink going to work for us? Or do I need to get out of this contract with house. HELP!!! TIA
ViaSat and Hughesnet reportedly don't work very well with video conferences, etc, so Starlink would likely be the preferable solution.

ViaSat and Hughesnet reportedly don't work very well with video conferences
This is the big bugaboo for satellite in general. LEO helps but Starlink is being kind of fussy at the moment.

I've used screen scrapers like RDP and VNC (without VPN) on ViaSat but I don't imagine that VPN should add a lot of trouble.

I would recommend against depending on something that isn't terrestrial if you're going to be hitting the broadband hard. Microwave is often an option where other technologies aren't but that still depends on line-of-sight. Wireless isn't a guarantee of consistency unless there's an antenna in your back yard (and sometimes not even then).

If there is any tree cover at all, Starlink is probably not an option and microwave becomes iffy.

A case could easily be made that anyone who is using Wi-fi is asking for trouble when it comes to telecommuting.
We see that even at work, someone on their laptop and Wi-Fi will have stuttering and freezes due to them not using the Ethernet present in their office.

All I use is Wi-Fi and I have zero issues with Teams meetings or staying connected to the VPN. I will say if you are WFH, reliable internet needs to be a key consideration of where you live.

I've turned 2 satellite Internet customers to Starlink over the past year. One a Hughnet and the other a Wild Blue (Viasat) customer. The equipment is expensive for startup but fees are comparable. But no "brick wall" caps and surprise fees if you do go over your data.
No sudden drops during a rain storm. Dishy melts snow. Although an occasional sweep is needed if you don't park it vertically (you lose signal of course). They love it. The WB guy bought his equipment off of eBay.
Plus. You can take it with you and strap it on top of your vehicle, camper.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Starlink uses 12GHz so that doesn't seem likely.
It's already proven. LEO sats at that freq. seem to do pretty damn well. You can research it.
That was one of the things my friend let me know when a torrential storm blew through.
He said the same thing when a snow storm passed where his WB would go dead, dead, dead.

Reactions: TheKrell
It might potentially switch to a different satellite in another direction and thereby avoid an outage.
And that, folksies, is the beauty of Starlink.
We don't need no stinkin' support arms making sure we're precisely aimed at one assigned transponder.

Just remember that the damage done happens at the thunderhead level, not somewhere further out.
With Starlink the cup is mostly always half full dude. I don't know why the constant negativity.

100% during heavy rain and even during moderate snow storms you will lose Ku & Ka signal.
Also if my memory serves me correctly Ka satellite services put the consumer at 2nd tier during daytime hours.
Reserving bandwidth for commercial (ie: the $1000/month) business class clients.
You're free to Google Verizon's commercial satellite service. Hope you're wearing your Depends.

All I have to say, and final, is people are saying nothing less than wow when they go Starlink.
There is no bait and switch as is all too common with Viasat and like services.
And if the only option is satellite Internet. It is definitely the way to go.

Looking over the negativity and rebuttal. If you need a VPN to work that is reliable and your signal is coming from the sky.
There are 2 ways to go. I'm thinking by the pile of Ka sat dishes and tria's I have laying around....haha and support arms. Starlink is absolutely the way to go. No if, and, or buts.

As my friend found out who him and his wife run a B&B. Mentioned elsewhere here.
When the hunters come in and hook to their wifi. Their bandwidth capped in 15 minutes until the next billing cycle.
With the resulting customer complaints. That went away with no-cap Starlink. 100%.
And his calling me and telling me he doesn't have to go out and sweep off the fc*n dish in the winter.
It heats and melts snow, and it can be parked vertically to dump it off. And back in service in minute or two.
C'mon Watney. Even that's gotta' be cool to you.

With Starlink the cup is mostly always half full dude. I don't know why the constant negativity.
I'm probably a victim of too many of the recent YouTube testimonials but there is some science behind my caution.

I've used Viasat, Wildblue and microwave and I have to say that I prefer microwave.

I'm probably a victim of too many of the recent YouTube testimonials but there is some science behind my caution.

I've used Viasat, Wildblue and microwave and I have to say that I prefer microwave.
Psst. (ummm dude....viasat and wildblue are one in the same).
If you love microwave then you will undoubtedly, unquestionably, positively love this!
Even if you do ride a CAFAH.
'Can't afford a Harley'. lol!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-6mI708yWc

Psst. (ummm dude....viasat and wildblue are one in the same).
They weren't the same then (prior to Viasat's acquisition of Wildblue in 2009). Wildblue came with a new dish and equipment that wasn't made in Israel and offered much better bandwidth. Similarly, Viasat acquired Exede in 2017.

I'm not a CAFAH. I simply don't favor to the "All Flashbang, No Dash" proposition represented by the typical H-D motorcycle. Admittedly, that my insurance company rates on displacement rather than horsepower had a lot to do with it too. An "800cc" (781 actual) bike is much cheaper to insure than a ~1200cc model. Why get a V2 when you can ride a V4?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)