Remotes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Hello everybody.
I have been using 2 RC 24's (RF) remotes, H-10's actually 2 remotes, 1 H-10
Suddenly they both decide to not work.
I reset, and did all the required programming and set it to RF and it will not work.
Then I changed the batteries in both and went thru the resetting again and programming and they will work in IR mode only.
I checked the connection of the RF antenna and it is connected correctly.
When I try to set it for the RF mode, go thru all the set up and when it says to click the select button, it will not do anything...
Also the slide switch IS in the Directv mode
Any ideas guys ???

Why would both remotes quit working ? and what to do next ??

Jimbo

Last edited:
Jimbos said:
Hello everybody.
I have been using 2 RC 24's (RF) remotes, H-10's actually 2 remotes, 1 H-10
Suddenly they both decide to not work.
I reset, and did all the required programming and set it to RF and it will not work.
Then I changed the batteries in both and went thru the resetting again and programming and they will work in IR mode only.
I checked the connection of the RF antenna and it is connected correctly.
When I try to set it for the RF mode, go thru all the set up and when it says to click the select button, it will not do anything...
Also the slide switch IS in the Directv mode
Any ideas guys ???

Why would both remotes quit working ? and what to do next ??

Jimbo

Are you sure the problem is the remotes? Could it not be the receiving end instead? The chances of both remotes going south seems very low, while the chances of the RF receiving end going bad (presumably a single unit) are much higher.

damaged said:
Are you sure the problem is the remotes? Could it not be the receiving end instead? The chances of both remotes going south seems very low, while the chances of the RF receiving end going bad (presumably a single unit) are much higher.
I suppose that would be possible,
I have no other receivers to check out this theory.
Would that mean I would need to have the receiver replaced ?
If I call D* they will go thru the same remote procedures I already have tried. The recieving unit is enclosed inside the receiver, therefore no way to isolate to verify just what exactly it would be....

Any suggestions as to what to do now ?

Jimbo

Jimbos said:
I suppose that would be possible,
I have no other receivers to check out this theory.
Would that mean I would need to have the receiver replaced ?
If I call D* they will go thru the same remote procedures I already have tried. The recieving unit is enclosed inside the receiver, therefore no way to isolate to verify just what exactly it would be....

Any suggestions as to what to do now ?

Jimbo

Well, I don't know all the circumstances of your issue, you've already came up with the most obvious, swapping receivers (I assume you know noone else with an H10/RF setup like yours?), that being said, the next obvious idea that comes to mind is if you have the protection plan, you could get D* to send you a replacement at no cost (per the protection plan as I read it), if you don't have the protection plan, you could activate the protection plan now, wait 31 days, then call D* to swap the receivers

I suspect that you won't want to do that because you know there is no guarentee that you will get a H10 in exchange, a possible remedy to this, is it may be possible to do the protection plan thing, wait to see what they ship you, and if it isn't what you wanted, call D* again and tell them the replacement is defective, and request another one to be shipped (you'll still have your H10), at least it will give you 2 chances to get what you want, I feel that it's unlikely that you'll get an H10 (but what do I know wrt what they have or will ship).

Another possible option is find a place where you can order a H10 WITH some kind of money back guarantee from a 3rd party, you could buy it, try your remotes on it, and if the remotes work, you know it is indeed the H10, and go from there, and if the remotes STILL don't work on the new H10, send it back, get your money back, and go back to the drawing board.

Disclaimer: None of the suggestions I've posted have been tried by me, nor anyone I know, and while I try to be as earnest as I can regarding the accuracy of these suggestions, I make no assurances of their efficacy, or accuracy in this instance.

damaged said:
Make any decision of what to do yet?
I think I will go to a freinds and see if my remotes work there, or bring his back and see if that works.

The remote I am going to bring back is already in the RF mode, so if either of my remotes work it should work his receiver right away.

My receiver won't accept me going to the RF mode, when I try it says to hit DONE as the next step when switching to RF and when I try it doesn't accept the command.

We shall find something out today :)

Jimbo

RF remotes will not just work for any RF receiver. Each receiver has a unique address that is programmed in when setting the remote to RF mode. Have you made sure the remote is programmed correctly?

Newshawk said:
RF remotes will not just work for any RF receiver. Each receiver has a unique address that is programmed in when setting the remote to RF mode. Have you made sure the remote is programmed correctly?
I just realized that, when I went to my Dad's and got his remote that is working on his H-10, and my remote woiuld not work his and his will not work mine.

So is there a way to check the RF transmitter, I guess thats what you would call it.
The remotes will work on IR.

Jimbo

Update

Well, after trying my Dad's remote and finding it to be no different, when I had some time I decided to call D* and ask them about it.....What an experience.

I made my 1st call and waited 15 minutes till someone came on the line (I called the Advanced Tech Support Dept.) I thought I might get thru quicker than the other lines. I thought wrong.
Anyway, some one finally answered and I explained to him what my trouble was and then I suddenly heard the " If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and try again", So after waiting patiently for them , they hung up on me.
So, I called again and spoke with a helpful gentleman and eventually said I need to send you to tier 2, I thought I ws already, but he send me to Teir 2 and I explained myself again .....
The ATS guy diagnosed the trouible to being not the remotes, as we thought, and to my suprise, he said it was not the receiver either. That the RF receiving unit has nothing to do with the receiver.
He said to replace the antenna and it should be good to go, well it's too late to get to the store tonight, but I got to thinking, I have other receivers that have the RF ability, so I swipped the antenna from one in my closet and
WALA !!!! were back in business !!! :hatsoff: :up

Jimbo :)

Jimbos said:
Well, after trying my Dad's remote and finding it to be no different, when I had some time I decided to call D* and ask them about it.....What an experience.

I made my 1st call and waited 15 minutes till someone came on the line (I called the Advanced Tech Support Dept.) I thought I might get thru quicker than the other lines. I thought wrong.
Anyway, some one finally answered and I explained to him what my trouble was and then I suddenly heard the " If you'd like to make a call, please hang up and try again", So after waiting patiently for them , they hung up on me.
So, I called again and spoke with a helpful gentleman and eventually said I need to send you to tier 2, I thought I ws already, but he send me to Teir 2 and I explained myself again .....
The ATS guy diagnosed the trouible to being not the remotes, as we thought, and to my suprise, he said it was not the receiver either. That the RF receiving unit has nothing to do with the receiver.
He said to replace the antenna and it should be good to go, well it's too late to get to the store tonight, but I got to thinking, I have other receivers that have the RF ability, so I swipped the antenna from one in my closet and
WALA !!!! were back in business !!! :hatsoff: :up

Jimbo :)

Excellent, enjoy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts