Rename Your Town 'DISH,' Get Free Satellite TV for 10 Years

Oyving

SatelliteGuys Family
Supporting Founder
Oct 3, 2003
Amboy IL
WOW! Maybe this is the deal that will get French Lick, IN. or Intercourse, PA to change their names. :p :D

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Mar 9, 2004
If the name of my town was changed to DISH I would want free service for a lifetime. Who the heck would do that for 10 years unless your town already has a crappy name. Plus I feel cheated now that I see Dish is wasting money on people to think up this crap when they could be working on other stuff they have promised with there service I want.

Darkman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
I like it too.. ( and "TV Sucks" also :) ) ...Smart, unique marketing..

"Name town DISH" promo has expiry date.. and, besides, no "large town" will rename itself PERMANENTLY to "DISH", lol ... even though would be interesting to see how it would all play out, if say NYC changed it's name to "DISH" .. AHAHA :D

(example: Would DISH declare bankruptcy then?) :p

Darkman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Any way you look it it, still, it shows you DISH has guts .. to offer something like that!

hehe.. the headline still makes me smile:
DISH Network(TM) satellite TV service announced today it will provide free programming for 10 years to all households in the first U.S. municipality willing to change its name legally and permanently to "DISH."

"As part of DISH Network's re-branding efforts and new advertising campaign trumpeting 'Better TV for All,' we invite a city or town to join us by re-branding itself DISH," said EchoStar President Michael Neuman.

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
Courtesy of a co-worker: "DISH Washington" :D

Maybe the inhabitants of Walla Walla, WA would be up for a refreshing change.

Darkman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Nice alternative to hacking also by the way ... lol - just rename your city or town to "DISH" .. and don't worry about Nagra 2, etc for next 10 years" :)

Darkman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
Darkman said:
Any way you look it it, still, it shows you DISH has guts .. to offer something like that!

TuxCoder said:
There, I've now named my left nut DISH. Gimme some free sat tv.
Actually thinking back to your post, TuxCoder - maybe i should have said "Any way you look at it, still, it shows you DISH got balls... to offer something like that" :smug

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Oct 13, 2003
IMO their marketing department needs to be fired. This is just coconuts. What if somehow a big city like Detroit changed their name? That'd be great, Charlie would go under. Then the city could change back :)

Besides, they dont say what level of programming the town gets. Do they get the AEP + locals + PPVs + sportspaks + HD? If I lived in the town that did this, I'd want ALL the channels :)

ats7627

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 10, 2003
Street names for the Town of DISH.

Dish Street, with the Town Hall at 119 and the annex at 110.
Legacy Lane
SuperDish Blvd
DishPro Ave
Acquiring Satellite Signal Loop. 1 entry way and no exits.
No Compelling Content Way
921 Debacle Road
Name Based Recording Court
No New HD Highway
Charlie Chat Parkway

Darkman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 8, 2003
HokieEngineer said:
IMO their marketing department needs to be fired. This is just coconuts. What if somehow a big city like Detroit changed their name? That'd be great, Charlie would go under. Then the city could change back :)

Besides, they dont say what level of programming the town gets. Do they get the AEP + locals + PPVs + sportspaks + HD? If I lived in the town that did this, I'd want ALL the channels :)
Yes the DO say.. just gotto read more carefully ;)
A town of 1,000 households, for example, would receive approximately $4 million worth of free programming, equipment and installation.

To participate, the town government must agree to change the name legally and permanently on government buildings, post offices, official letterhead, schools and hospitals if applicable, street signs where necessary, and any other government signage that contains the city or town's name. The municipality must also file all necessary state and federal documentation.

In exchange, DISH Network will agree to provide every household within the municipal limits a free DISH Network satellite TV receiver, free standard installation, and America's Top 60 programming package free for 10 years. The DISH Network offer is subject to the terms and conditions of DISH Network's residential service agreement and other terms negotiated.

Submissions must be sent to CityMakeover@dishnetwork.com for approval by Nov. 1, 2005.
It's right there - America's Top 60, lol ...

So lots of people would upgrade to a higher package more likely and DISH would make some of their money back.... :)

Besides.. The campaign would make good tax write-off as well :D

TuxCoder

Collector of Space Beams
Supporting Founder
Jul 8, 2004
Dayton, OH
I like that list, ats. :)
ats7627 said:
No Compelling Content Way
This is where all the sports arenas and stadiums are, and maybe the good movie theaters too.

ats7627 said:
Name Based Recording Court
I love the double meaning. :D

ats7627 said:
Charlie Chat Parkway
This road suffers from visibility problems caused by bad lighting and fog (which also causes blurring on the windshield, and reduces the amplitude of any sound).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)