Is there no town named "Dish" already?
MapQuest Found:

Dishman, WA, Spokane, US
Dishaw, NY, St. Lawrence, US
Dishman Springs, KY, Knox, US

TerraServer adds:

Dishman Hills Natural Area, Washington, United States
Dishna, Alaska, United States

It sounds like Dish Network is wanting to make history and wanting to get a lot of free press. Nobody could end up with being named Dish and they get all that press for free.

Maybe a small town in the south that gets wiped out will take this offer. Besides, Dish Network has a special offer for hurricane victims anyways. Dish Network would most likely do it for a place hard hit in the south where it makes more sence to them.

cablewithaview said:
I hope a city like Dallas or San Francisco takes up on this offer and bankrupt them. then we will have only one provider. :D

Yeah, that would keep your satellite/cable prices down!

I could possibly see this working in small rural town with no infrastructure in place....this could be a boon to them and get them on "the map".

Cable, IL be renamed to Dish, IL

Today (probably on Good Morning America) they told that residents of city Cable, IL voted to rename it to Dish.
If it was planned by Dish it is kind of very smart plan. :D
Also they told that some die hard cable residents don't want to change the name.

Okay I found Sherrard village in the census

Boundaries

Facts Sheet

Total population 694
Occupied housing units 271

So if dish installs at the bare minimum a receiver and dish in those 271 units with AT60 for 10 years it will cost them hardware (I assume they will be leased to the houses) plus the programming of AT60 DHA for 10 years $1,040,314.80

Cable and Sherrard are two separate towns, I live about 15 miles from there.
Cable has about 45 Families living in it. It is a little town in the middle of nowhere. There isn't even a decent road to that town. Yet they didn't like Dish's offer very much. I would take the offer if I lived there, why not. That town has nothing. Here is a some local coverage about it.

CABLE, Illinois -- Representatives from Quad City Satellite got anything but a warm welcome Monday night at a township meeting in Swedona, Illinois.

The 45 families from nearby Cable have been presented with a deal from the Davenport company. The deal is ten years of free dish service for naming rights to the town, part of a nationwide Dish city promotion by Echostar Communications, the parent compnay of Dish Network.

Eighty percent of the town attended the meeting to speak against the plan. All but one voted againt the name change.

Jennifer McMeekan, the only resident who favored the deal, says ten years of free dish service amounts to $6,000 cash.

Three residents were so upset they threatened to throw their dish in the garbage.

Mike Hinton with Quad City Satellite says he heard the message loud and clear and doesn't want to battle the town. It appears, for now, the former mining town of Cable will keep its naming rights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts