Renewing - Need suggestions!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nvguy38

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
So, I called the retention department today and got a very nice rep who informed me that she could only offer the HR34 @ $299 plus $49 installation. Do some haggling, back and forth....yaddy yaddah.....she ends up working me a $50 charge for the HR34 and $49 installation. The installation cost she says they can't wave which is a bummer but I know they have to upgrade the splitter to handle the HR34 and the HR24 that I want to keep. My gripe here is that for some reason, I'm losing my HD discount? This was supposed to be for as long as I have auto-pay but the rep said that it was only tied to my 24-month agreement and that it ends with that agreement. I signed up with auto-pay with the understanding that as long as I kept it and required programming that the discount would continue indefinitely. This is how the discount shows on my statement:

11/02
12/01
Advanced Receiver-HD Free HD Access w/Auto Bill Pay
Credit

She did agree to give me another $10 of programming for the next 12 months. I'm downgrading to Choice Ultimate as we don't have time to watch all the premium channels. I guess what I'm wondering is why the hassle with the HD charge? She emphatically denied any possibility for providing the free HD access....said it was impossible even. Is there a way to have them continue the free HD? Here's a summary of the concessions she was able to provide

• $50 for HR34 and keep HR24
  • $49 installation fee
  • $10 discount on programming for 12 months

I'm willing to sign another 24 month agreement for the HR34 discount, but I'm kinda stuck on the free HD thing now. Can they wave the installation fee (or credit thereof since she claims they can't provide 'free' installation)? How can I go about continuing my free HD access?

Thanks for any and all suggestions! If need be, I'll just downgrade my programming and see what the future holds, but I was hoping to get a better deal with free install & free HD (at least for the new committment term)!

Oh, I guess I should mention my contract ends today and I've been with them 2 years now. Thanks again!

Did you get the hd free access as a new customer? If so, you should be able to keep it regardless of what equipment you have. You might try emailing the office of the president here: ellen.filipiak@directv.com and let them know what the situation is.

:D i came back after a year absence at Dish............... i got the HR34, kept my old H20, and got 1 client. total cost with tax..........$29.55. plus they are paying my penalty to Dish for leaving a year early! $200.00. i have the choice extra package. so the Genie , 1 client slimline dish and installation was FREE............!!~!:eek:k:

i think you can get a better deal...!:happydance:

Did you get the hd free access as a new customer? If so, you should be able to keep it regardless of what equipment you have. You might try emailing the office of the president here: ellen.filipiak@directv.com and let them know what the situation is.

I got the free HD when I first signed up back in 2010. I might email Costco VIP support to see what they can do first?

Do y'all think this is a good deal I'm being offered? The rep gave me a pin to use when I call back which I'm sure will 'lock' me into the same deal. If I wanted to try for something better, I suppose I'd have to call back into the retention office again (she gave me direct number) and try another rep?

I'm just trying to hear from y'all as to whether this is a good deal or not. The installation fee caught me a bit off guard but makes since as I'll need a new splitter to accomodate the 7 tuner setup (HR34 & HR24). I was hoping they'd credit against that fee...but she kept saying that I'm getting such a GREAT deal with the discount on the HR34....kinda made me feel bad for trying to ask for more discounts afterwards....

I accept the fact I will not get the deal of a new customer. Kinda sux, but it's reality. I just don't want to sound like I'm whining about the install fee......seems kinda crappy considering all he has to do is swap out splitters? He doesn't have to do any additonal cable runs that I'm aware of. Can't they just ship me the splitte or something? LOL!

I just emailed Costco VIP to see if they can do anything about reinstating the free HD access. I'm kinda peeved about that point.

They are pretty adamant about an install. In my case I already have a splitter in place that allows for 2 of my HR24s to connect just fine. When I talked to them about a swap of 2 HR24s to one HR34, they insisted that an install was absolutely necessary because it wasn't a straight forward swap.

To that I say HOGWASH! :)

Unplug 2 HR24s, remove non-needed splitter, plug in HR34 and done!

In the end I said to hell with it and didn't upgrade.

Wow! I got a response from VIP Suppport for Costco members within 7 minutes of me sending my inquiry about reinstating my free HD access. To my pleasant surprise, they issued an immediate $10 credit (my statement date is in a day or two) AND proceeded to explain how they would provide me with free HD for life!!

I'm blown away.....now THAT is some customer service in an era where this is a very sore subject for most consumers! I know it's not a big deal to most folks about saving another $10, but it's the principal and they came through big time in my book.

Now....to decide if I should go with the $50 HR34 and $50 install........to Genie or not to Genie.....that is the question....if it weren't for that dang installation fee!!! Would be a VERY easy decision.....maybe I'll chew on it overnight. The rep said my 'pin' is only good for 5 days....I can only assume that means the 'deal' they put together expires at that point and we have to start all over again....

Anyhoo....anyone else got any advise to share??!!! :)

Thanks!

Glad to hear they straightened out your problem so quickly.

NVGuy,
You mentioned earlier that they wouldn't give you the HD for life (sounds like after the original 24 month deal).
Then you said next that she gave you the same amount of discount which essentially covered the HD fee.

(Then later you got the deal you did at the end of the thread, at this point).

I think it comes down to, do you WANT the HR34, or are you good with the HR24's ?
Your call.

The discount the DTV rep proposed was a programming discount that only lasted 12 months; I'd be CoL the remaining 12 months of the contract as well as beyond. I'm MORE than happy that I finally got the "Free HD Access for Life" discount :)

Right now, I've got 1-HR24 and 1-H24. If I upgraded to the HR34, I'd return the H24 and keep the HR24. Thereby giving me 2 DVRs and 7 tuners. I reckon that's why the need for an 'install'. Not sure if there's anything else he'd do unless he wanted to replace my HR24 fan that's humming like a son of a gun. :)

Wife thinks we should pass on the equipment upgrade....decisions decisions....LOL! :)

Right now, I've got 1-HR24 and 1-H24. If I upgraded to the HR34, I'd return the H24 and keep the HR24. Thereby giving me 2 DVRs and 7 tuners. I reckon that's why the need for an 'install'. Not sure if there's anything else he'd do unless he wanted to replace my HR24 fan that's humming like a son of a gun. :)

Wife thinks we should pass on the equipment upgrade....decisions decisions....LOL! :)

Just fyi, as an installer, as long as none of your cables are damaged, and your not getting any new features (do you already have multiroom, or a cinema connection kit?) there is no splitter replacement necessary (now this doesnt mean the tech wont do it just to make sure you have the newest splitter available, but its not entirely necessary) the tech is going to swap your hr24 for your hr34, then carry your hr24 into the back room and swap the h24 out leaving you with two dvrs. I would actually recommend you swap the boxes prior to his arrival just to save the time. The "install" required with the hr34 is to verify all of the features are working. BTW I would take the deal and get the equipment upgrade. If your signing for another two years, might as well get better boxes, and the genie is a much better dvr. You will enjoy it.

Yeah, I already have MRV up & running. Good to know he doesn't have to install anything.

I might just make a move without the wifey knowing and then just 'beg forgiveness' later :)

Thanks for the info!

Question: Do you think DTV will just drop ship the HR34 to my location if I insist on a self install. Then, if we have issues, they can roll a truck out for the 'install' if needed? If they did that, would it still be the $49.99 they're quoting now?

Thanks!

Question: Do you think DTV will just drop ship the HR34 to my location if I insist on a self install. Then, if we have issues, they can roll a truck out for the 'install' if needed? If they did that, would it still be the $49.99 they're quoting now?

Thanks!

Doubtful with the newest product out ...

If the wife is not around when the equipment is changed out, she may not even know, seeing they look pretty much the same.

Just fyi, as an installer, as long as none of your cables are damaged, and your not getting any new features (do you already have multiroom, or a cinema connection kit?) there is no splitter replacement necessary (now this doesnt mean the tech wont do it just to make sure you have the newest splitter available, but its not entirely necessary) the tech is going to swap your hr24 for your hr34, then carry your hr24 into the back room and swap the h24 out leaving you with two dvrs. I would actually recommend you swap the boxes prior to his arrival just to save the time. The "install" required with the hr34 is to verify all of the features are working. BTW I would take the deal and get the equipment upgrade. If your signing for another two years, might as well get better boxes, and the genie is a much better dvr. You will enjoy it.

If I'm paying $50 for a tech to come out, he can swap out the boxes.

nvguy38 said:

Thanks!

No possible way. Directv has already said they will NOT drop ship a 34 now or in the future.

Figured as much Hutch.....just kinda thinking out loud :)

OurCostco DirecTV rep told me that he was advised that existing customer discounts will be significantly increased after January 1st. Not sure what that means, but I'll take any discount they wanna give me :)

Oh, for an update, I called DTV back to punch in my pin for the 'deal' and.......viola.....it didn't work! LOL! So, I got some dude who happened to be really impressed with my 'awesome' payment history and blah blah blah....(I mean, I am on auto-pay...hard to be late with that option). Anyhoo, he racked up several discounts for me in ADDITION to the FFL HD discount ($10) I secured via the Costco VIP support. So, I downgraded to Choice Extra and got HBO, Starz/Encore & Showtime for $37/month along with a $6.50/mth discount for 12 months, 2-$5/mth ($10 ttl) discounts for 6 months, along with a $10/mth for 12 months base programming discount.

Man, talk about your discount fever! He pitched me a Centurylink offer that I initially thought would compete (speed and fee wise) with my existing Cox HSI but turns out Cox reduced my bill AND locked me in for 2 years.....so no rate hikes!

Guess the customer service roulette wheel landed on my block :)

Thanks for all y'all's suggestions!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts