Repack dates for Flint-Saginaw-Bay City Michigan DMA

Discussion in 'Over the Air TV By RabbitEars.Info' started by primestar31, May 13, 2019.

1. primestar31

primestar31 Topic Starter SatelliteGuys Master

I've got this:

Update on WAQP:

It won't be back up to full power until AFTER the revised antenna is installed.

WAQP-TV, SAGINAW, MICHIGAN
    REQUEST FOR EXTENSION OF TIME TO COMPLETE TRANSITION

WAQP-TV, Saginaw, Michigan is a Phase 3 station scheduled to transition on June 21,
    2019. TCT was recently notified that its antenna will not be available until August 1, 2019, at the
    earliest
    . See the attached letter from Electronics Research, Inc.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiqiqyom8TjAhVXB50JHV9qD3sQFjABegQIAhAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fenterpriseefiling.fcc.gov%2Fdataentry%2Fapi%2Fdownload%2Fattachment%2F25076ff36b6ca1be016b76432cf00f29&usg=AOvVaw0iOuY5E8xQFD97NdXQ3uI3

2. Trip

Trip RabbitEars Webmaster Staff Member HERE TO HELP YOU!

3. primestar31

Sorry, I don't believe it. There's NO WAY they are running at full power as of yet. Their tower is right next to WSMH-66, (RF16) which still comes in perfect, and also WJRT-12 (RF12) which also comes in perfect.

WAQP-49 used to come in perfect, but doesn't any longer. IMO, they have not jacked up their signal from the interim 16~ whatever KW they were running at with the temp. antenna. If they were, I'd be receiving them solid.

4. Trip

Fair enough. I assume these things are filed by an attorney far away, which is why I try to verify.

Let me know what you observe.

- Trip

primestar31 likes this.
  5. primestar31

I just sent them another PM via Facebook asking if their power has been increased as of yet since I heard the new fixed repack antenna was installed yesterday, and explaining that I can still basically no longer receive them since repack. They aren't usually very responsive, so let's see if I can get an answer. If so, I'll share it here.

6. primestar31

Here you go Trip, I got a timely answer this time!

Also, I went up on the roof, and did a little re-config of my antenna system. I was able to remove my formerly dedicated to WBSF-46 HDB91x antenna completely, along with the Jan Jenca Jointenna, since they are now broadcasting from WEYI's tower and cranked up their signal.

I then slightly turned the "all channel but WBSF" HDB91x (which now also includes WBSF) to 1/2 the way in-between WEYI and WAQP/WSMH towers (it was pointing directly at WEYI before). I got WAQP up to a fairly solid 30%~, without affecting my other stations adversely, in fact all the rest come in solid at an average of 76%~ or more, even though WNEM and WDCQ are way off to the North in Azimuth. WSMH at the same time, is coming in at 78%, and they are right next to WAQP.

I'm in a unique situation where nearly ALL my local towers are in an arc almost exactly or close to about 35 miles away.

WJRT-12 is on it's own dedicated Y10-7-13 antenna, and bypasses the Kitztech KT-200 preamp, but has an added FM filter (older KT-200, before they added an FM filter) I use a Radio Shack UVSJ, so the Kitztech can get power through the UHF side.

WAQP.jpg

#46 primestar31, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    charlesrshell likes this.
  7. primestar31

Trip, they installed the new-'new' (repaired/rebuilt) 70' repack antenna on top of WAQP's 1,000' tower the other day using a sky-crane helicopter. They showed a couple minute video of them doing it on TCT Today show last night. It was pretty cool. There were men up there that connected the antenna to the helicopter, then released the bolts. Then bolted down the new antenna when it was placed.

I had no idea one of these antennas all by itself could be 70' tall!

They have NOT turned the power up as of yet (Saturday 8/3 evening), so likely are still using the interim 16kw antenna at the lower tower level.

charlesrshell likes this.
  8. Trip

Great! They probably need to do other things like install transmission line and whatnot before they can go live with it. But that's great news.

- Trip

primestar31 likes this.
  9. primestar31

They haven't announced it so far as I can see, but they are finally running at FULL power as of this morning, 8/9/2019.

Trip likes this.

Separate names with a comma.

More...