Repack Dates For Washington DC Market

I have heard very little on the tower, save that it was supposed to be done by 8/2/19.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

they applied for an STA in case it is not done. If it is nott ehy will bea t reduced power for some time. Not sure if it is done or not.

I've completely lost WMPT, so I rather doubt they're at full power from the new antenna.

- Trip

I was afraid of that. And with WETA going to lower power for awhile that means reduced assess to PBS. I am hoping that whatever the issue is it gets reolved quickly----or that they just have not turned on the new transmitter.

Reactions: TheKrell
WMPT's FCC filings made it sound like if they weren't done today, they'd be done very soon after. So I'm hoping it doesn't last.

It's also possible it could be my antenna. WMPT was always just barely receivable, and if it is a better antenna on 42 than on 21, that could be the difference. Not really sure.

- Trip

Reactions: TheKrell
i will rescan some time after 5 PM today. FWIW I will post my results for WRC, WPXW, WMPT and WETA. I am assuming that a few ohers (e.g. Navychop) will also let us know what their results are.

I’ll get home 6:30 or so. I have a few to rescan. I’ll try to report on each.

Note to self:
2 HWS
4 TVs
1 CM
Will not scan DTV DVR Pal yet

Somewhat disapointing results here. Some of it may get better but still......

On my Sharp TV tuner I lost WMAR from Baltimore (not part of the repack) and WRZB-LD in DC (again not repacking)

I gained WDCO-CD
but that is a low power shopping channel

On my DISH hopper with Sling

I again lost WMAR but kept WRZB-LD.

i also somehow gained WMPB 67 in Baltimore (again not repacking at this time). It is soming on fine but i suspect that will not last.
WMPT from Annapolis is there but does not always lock when I tune to it. WETA 26 is there but it drops out. I hope both improve if and when they go to full power.

I have no idea on WDVM. i cannot get that here.

I must have something disconnected. Rescan getting 0 channels on MBR HWS.

MBR Channel Master is bringing in I think 46 channels. 26 coming in pretty good, 54 pretty bad.

MBR Samsung TV gets 39 channels. 26 is just fine. Doesn’t see 54.

Reactions: charlesrshell
LR HWS gets 33 channels, including 26.

I get 58 with the sharp tuner. 65 with the original dish Single tuner. 50 with Air TV dual tuner connected to the Dish Hopper with Sling. So i kept the single tuner scan but plugged in the Air TV dual.

General questions regarding repacking: 1) when a TV station moves to another frequency and shares spectrum space with another existing station do they use less bandwidth? Or does that depend on the number of sub-channels? 2) with the paring down of the UHF TV band (originally it was channels 14 - 82) do stations change their level of definition, e.g. Std. Def vs Hi Def?

I have noticed a few stations in my area now have up to 11 sub-channels that include local FM broadcast stations, is this a trend now? I guess the more sub-channels a station has the less bandwidth each channel has to be? Is there a site that explains how repacking affects OTA signals?

Thanks.

More subs in an RF channel, less space for each. With 11, I suspect they are spread across two or three RF channels.

Reactions: spongella
Yep. 8/2 for Hagerstown and NoVA. I’m just amazed at how many devices I have that will need rescanning.

OK, just how many devices needed a rescan? For me, it was just one (the H3). :D

I was blissfully asleep (or watching satellite) when all this happened. This morning I had no signal from WETA, but after a rescan, I am back to 100% on my Hopper (which is what it was before). Let me try WMPT. That was good most of the time before, but did drop out occasionally...

Hopper says SS on WMPT is OK at 82%.

Well I Iost the Baltimore PBS station. I never really thought it would last. I am back to 61 channels. I will miss WMAR a bit but other than local news etc all of the programming is available on DC stations.

Posted earlier. 7, maybe 8.

Haven’t done them all yet. Honeydew list.

Sony TV in LR gets 37 channels. 26 comes in fine. No MPT. Maybe if I reaimed, but then I’d lose others.

Two TVs to go.

Sony TV in LR gets 37 channels. 26 comes in fine. No MPT. Maybe if I reaimed, but then I’d lose others.

I'm a little bit closer to DC (and Baltimore) than you. But I would not expect such a difference. I've always been in the 60's like Geronimo. You may have told us earlier, but what kind of antenna do you have? With so much gear being fed by one antenna, do you use a distribution amplifier?

image.jpg

And yes, a distro amp.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)