Repack troubles

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
My area completed the repack overnight. Using a stellar labs VHF fringe anteena, never had problems with WHNS Fox Carolina. They moved down in frequency and I have lost them. I realize I am using a VHF antenna for UHF, but never had a problem before. I guess I am looking for amp options, but have yet to find one that suits my needs. I used to love the old CM7778's mild amp and worked great until you had a thunderstorm within 30 miles. Got to the point that I had to reolace a couple times a year. And yes all is grounded to the house ground. Any Ideas what to use now a days?

When did you last check? Until about 2PM, WUNE was still broadcasting on WHNS's new channel. If you haven't checked since then, try again.

Alternatively, WHNS is currently on a temporary low-powered facility. They plan to install the new antenna around 9/26. The signal will return to its previous strength, hopefully within a few weeks.

- Trip

Reactions: primestar31
WHNS is and will remain a UHF station and will continue to beg for a UHF capable antenna. The shift of four channels (24MHz) shouldn't be the end of the world and if you really are using a VHF antenna, things should improve when the power comes back up.

There are a lot of translators scattered around there.

The Albany, NY area change occurred on August 2 and the PBS affiliate WHMT was broadcasting at very low power until last week. They are finally up and running again.

This market gained ION TV and some home shopping channels also.

The Albany, NY area change occurred on August 2 and the PBS affiliate WHMT was broadcasting at very low power until last week. They are finally up and running again.

Since August 2, WMHT, WTEN, and WCWN were running low gain antennas and reduced power. As of Sep 6 they are now on their full auxiliary antennas with more gain but still at reduced power and not yet on the main antenna. They will reduce power or go off the air when the main 8” copper line is installed.

More metal in the air does not hurt.
This is typically not an accurate statement. The metal you have needs to offer single coverage (to avoid multipath interference) and it should be of the appropriate frequency range for best performance.

If you're close enough to the station, it may not take more than rabbit ears, a UHF loop or a chunk of cable to pick up all of your channels.

As the repack progresses (not just in your area but in surrounding markets), things are likely to be more crowded and having just the right antenna may become important.

Finally, it is important to understand that signal quality is not the same thing as signal strength. Most TVs report signal quality that can be very high with a middling signal. Not so hot signals may produce a great result in good weather only to take a dump when the weather turns.

Hogwash, we are talking receiving, if we were talking transmit I would agree. I have been a ham for 40 years and know antennas. If you are so almighty right, why do I receive other frequencies in the UHF band so well?

Which of my statements are you disputing?

Are you saying that multipath from having a mish-mash of different antennas isn't an issue?

Are you saying that small antennas can't be just right?

Do you believe that signal quality is synonymous with signal strength or that they are somehow locked together?

Does your ham experience make you an authority at all points in the TV bands?

Physics doesn't care whether you've read the ARRL handbook or learned it the hard way. It doesn't care if you've been at it for your entire life or you started yesterday. Physics is always there looking over your shoulder and riding herd over what can and cannot be done.

I'm confused; that's your first mention of WLOS being a problem for you. You initially complained about WHNS due to the repack. WLOS has not changed anything in the repack, so it would not be a repack related issue.

- Trip

WLOS has not changed anything in the repack, so it would not be a repack related issue.
I'm not sure that follows in all cases. With the repack increasing channel sharing, something changing in a nearby market could impact one's own market. Since Comptech is using a fringe antenna, it would seem even more likely that one station may be treading on another (hence my comment about too much metal).

I'm not sure that follows in all cases. With the repack increasing channel sharing, something changing in a nearby market could impact one's own market. Since Comptech is using a fringe antenna, it would seem even more likely that one station may be treading on another (hence my comment about too much metal).

The repack has nothing to do with channel sharing, except insofar as some stations opting to go off the air and channel share made room for stations to be repacked. All the channel sharing cases were resolved more than a year ago, and in any case, channel sharing has nothing, whatsoever, to do with signal strength or reception.

So I will repeat: Nothing has changed for WLOS. No stations have repacked around it on co-channel or adjacent-channel frequencies. It has not changed channel or power (or if it has reduced power due to a hardware failure or something, it's unrelated to the repack). You might want to check that your antenna system is undamaged.

- Trip

Sorry guy's got called into work yesterday. Any way, I should have started a new thread. I was informed WHNS is temp low power, so next week I will see what happens there. My gripe was about WLOS this time. It has been problematic in the upstate for years. I had it fine for the last six months and then it just went poof. Won't even show on a scan, never mind watchable. They are supposed to cover the upstate but do a very poor job of it. Looks their antenna beams more north from Pisgah and hence weak to no signal here at times. I was just Pi**ed because I could not watch the Clemson game. For more info look at City Data Forums under Greenville SC. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts