Repaired My AM21 Today

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Lynskyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Houston, Texas
It has been a long time since I have posted here but I wanted to share this for anyone who may have a "dead" AM21 off-air tuner.
My AM21 stopped working and the HR24 display showed both off-air tuners as "removed". Tried resetting, different USB cable, etc. but no joy.
I decided to crack open the AM21 and noticed that two of the 10uF 250V capacitors were bulging a bit.
Replaced both caps and it works again. $2.50 in parts and a bit of soldering - not bad.
Sorry I did not note the cap numbers. Be sure to get low profile replacement caps as the box is so thin.

From what I read earlier, Solid Signal bought up a large stock of them ... and according to thier website, they have sold out.

From what I read earlier, Solid Signal bought up a large stock of them ... and according to thier website, they have sold out.
I still plan to get another AM21, probably on eBay and a THR22 on Amazon or Weaknees or somewhere sometime within the next year. Yes, I know that the THR22's not the best, but I'm just going to use it as an additional DVR and if you guys recommend me to use another one instead; well I really don't need another DVR but I want this one for other reasons. I would just like to use the TiVo function with my DirecTV even if it's not the best or even if it's old technology (doesn't bother me).

I still plan to get another AM21, probably on eBay and a THR22 on Amazon or Weaknees or somewhere sometime within the next year. Yes, I know that the THR22's not the best, but I'm just going to use it as an additional DVR and if you guys recommend me to use another one instead; well I really don't need another DVR but I want this one for other reasons. I would just like to use the TiVo function with my DirecTV even if it's not the best or even if it's old technology (doesn't bother me).
I think Amazon had the AM21 for $150. last I looked.
ebay pricing would be all over the place I suppose.

For a device that we all bought for around $50 and it brought in OTA air channels into our guides .... and does NOT SCAN any longer ... the kind of prices they are asking is ludicrous ...

Reactions: raoul5788
It's not just the THR22's old technology though, but the higher monthly fee, $15.00/mo. is it instead of $7.00?

And no WH ability either ...

These in addition to the platform's age are total deal-breakers to me ...

Plus I use a TIVO OTA instead of an AM21 anyway. So I enjoy my TIVO UI from there.

IF you could integrate the TIVO OTA unit into the D* guide, THEN I might consider the TIVO.
Newer TIVOs that is, not the one that's multiple generations old.

IF you could integrate the TIVO OTA unit into the D* guide, THEN I might consider the TIVO.
Newer TIVOs that is, not the one that's multiple generations old.
I like old technology sometimes. I still prefer classic NES type games as well as 80's arcade games to the video games of today. There are also some neat things you can do on some old DOS computers, and they have great games too. King's Quest anyone? Don't knock old technology. If I had the option to go back to that era, I would. They were much better times anyways.

Reactions: . Raine
I like old technology sometimes. I still prefer classic NES type games as well as 80's arcade games to the video games of today. There are also some neat things you can do on some old DOS computers, and they have great games too. King's Quest anyone? Don't knock old technology. If I had the option to go back to that era, I would. They were much better times anyways.
Hey, I have a Black and White 13" TV in the back room if your interested !

Hey, I have a Black and White 13" TV in the back room if your interested !
Would be kinda cool if I had a way to get to your home. But it's not like you're going to give your address to a complete stranger anyways, nor would I travel to a complete stranger's home. But yes, that would be neat.

King's Quest, Legend of Kyrandia, Quest for Glory, etc, those games were great.

Reactions: edisonprime

I have an old Nintendo modified to do 1080p via HDMI. IT has an ever drive with every game.

Reactions: edisonprime
I have a AM21N for sale if anybody wants to buy it cuz I have no use for it anymore

I have an old Nintendo modified to do 1080p via HDMI. IT has an ever drive with every game.
I bought an old NES on Amazon last year as well as a Sony 32" CRT on Craigslist. I would love to use my Nintendo on my 65" Sony 4K 3D TV and be able to use functions such as simulated 3D and stuff but then I wouldn't be able to use my Zapper or my planned R.O.B. the Robot or some of the other future accessories I plan to get. Same goes for other future consoles and accessories I plan to acquire. So because of those purposes I'm stuck using a CRT.

You BOUGHT a 32" CRT? BOUGHT?

I'll GIVE you, or ANYONE, a 36 incher, and throw in a 27 incher! I'll even help get it to your vehicle!

Reactions: raoul5788
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)