Repairing My Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TTSE

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2014
Trinidad, West Indies
I have dish that I wanna repair guys. Its a 4' fiber glass channel master. The arm broke off and lost when they took it off the house so it has no arm. There is also a hole about 1" diameter. I wanna fix the hole and repaint the dish. What are the guidelines in terms of choosing the right type of paint and color? Also what about the arm,I need a replacement and I cant seem to find one easily. I know I might not get one like the original, any suggestions?

IMG-20140226-00019.jpgIMG-20140226-00020.jpgIMG-20140226-00021.jpgIMG-20140226-00022.jpgIMG-20140226-00023.jpg

The small hole on the edge of the reflector has minimal or no effect on the signal. That repair would just be cosmetic. Clean and Bondo patch, sand and paint.

The damage on the LNBF mount will need to be reinforced before repair. I would use fiberglass or simply add an angle bracket that is secured to the reflector. Add two side support arms to take some of the load bearing off of the lower arm mount.

Are there more of these type dishes in your area? If so, take measurements so you can create a tripod arm support for the LNBF. The distance from the reflector and angles are critical!

Last edited:
4ft across = 1.2 meter. Arm? looks to be a fixed mount.

I'd first https://www.google.com/search?q=diy...lient=ubuntu-browser&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
You'll need 'glass cloth and resin. The cloth comes in many 'courses'. Think a pretty course one would build up faster.
Grinder to 'clean' the cracks so they can be filled. No sense filling a hole that surrounded by cracks, it may pop out later.
Plenty of rubber gloves. And a tyvek suit to save your 'threads'(??)
There's nothing you can do about the smell, so plenty of ventilation is needed.
Build up the thickness one layer at a time. Grind and sand to finish

You can paint it with just about anything you want. Just don't use high gloss paint.
Semi-gloss is Ok, but flat is bestl Don't want to reflect the sun onto the feed.
Just a thought - is there a Vocational/Tech school nearby? Do they have an auto body program?
If so, inquire about having it fixed there. I know the one near here would beg for something fiberglass for the students to get 'hands on' on.

I am assuming the OP is talking about the LNBF support arm.

Xtgold maybe they weren't used in your market. The dish is 1.115 meters or 111.5 cm or 43.5" which works out to 3.625 ft which can be rounded off to 4ft but not precisely. I have another Directv fiber glass dish that's exactly 36" or 3 ft both are Channel Master brand, I have an 18" Directv dish that's being used for my service right now but its metal. I'm very hands on so I can do the repairs myself, I've done that kinda stuff before. The material can be found at the hardware store here. The hard part will be replacing the arm or fabricating one since I don't have another one exactly like it. The most I can do is take the measurements from the other 2 dishes and convert them to scale and ratio but I'll still need the angle for best results. I can get a tripod and install it but without the correct measurements I'll still have problems to get the proper LNB angle like Titanium said, that will affect my elevation when searching for sats. My best bet is to try to get an original. If anyone is supplier and has the part that would be great. The model number of the dish is 3040929 Channel Master. Thanks for all the response, guys, anymore suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
To get the LNBF in the right place there's Parabola Calculator 2.0 click on WIFI tab for offset antennas.
Or at least very close accounting for measurement errors.
Then one could 'fine tune' with polgyver's mirror method.
Nope, didn't know of that size CH. Master dish. [adding to the list] What is the vertical dimension?

Last edited:
Look on the back of the dish again very closely and see if it has more information molded into it. Mine has the mold no. In addition, which will help you find the specs for that dish.

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1393467194.041006.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1393467232.581620.jpg

My 1.2M dish is very flat and the LNBF is supported by very long struts. The focal length is waaaaay out there.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

To get the LNBF in the right place there's Parabola Calculator 2.0 click on WIFI tab for offset antennas.
Nope, didn't know of that size CH. Master dish. [adding to the list] What is the vertical dimension?

Ok thanks Fat Air. Its 47.5" vertical. The model number is 3040929. I didn't get the link to the mirror method but I was sitting a few weeks ago and an idea came to me to place a mirror on the lnb and see where the light hits on the dish but I wasn't sure it would work and how exactly to proceed. I guess this method you mentioned is along that line.

Last edited:
Look on the back of the dish again very closely and see if it has more information molded into it. Mine has the mold no. In addition, which will help you find the specs for that dish.

View attachment 95720

View attachment 95721

My 1.2M dish is very flat and the LNBF is supported by very long struts. The focal length is waaaaay out there.

I didnt think it would be necessary since I have the model number / part number. I've realized the mold number corresponds with the size of the dish. I notice that the mold number for your 1.2M is 1.2M-1 and the number for my 1.1M is 1.1M-1IMG-20140226-00026.jpg

Okay, good. I usually start scanning the internet for a specification sheet or a manual for the dish I pick up and it will help later when youre setting the focal length or have to completly replace the strut(s). Mine has three struts. Yours may have had one?

Okay, good. I usually start scanning the internet for a specification sheet or a manual for the dish I pick up and it will help later when youre setting the focal length or have to completly replace the strut(s). Mine has three struts. Yours may have had one?

Yes this model comes with one only. I'd love to find a spec sheet for mine. I'm searching right now. As we speak I'm on the Channel Master website.

Channel Master fibreglass dishes have become Raven and Andrew along the way.

The naming convention is 1.8 metre - type 180, 1.2 metre - type 120, etc.

Try searching for Andrew type 110 dish, or Raven type 110 dish.

The PDF at this link might help you somewhat - http://viasatelital.com/manuales/channel_master/channel-master-type-120.pdf

Also, it's not really helping to find any more info, but I think you may have a typo in the mold number... could it be 3040929?

Last edited:
Thanks, FaT Air, but I am rather an advocate (or, fan) of using small mirrors, as many members used them earlier, just to mention Cham, for example...
Another guy, Satcom 1 (from Chicago area) also recommended this trick when discussed his dish-making with Casser - it was on UK forum a few years ago, very long thread, 20 pages...
Attaching small mirrors is fun, when done with Scotch double-sided glue tape, and the mirrors do not impede reception. A few mirrors would do, although more can show if a dish is distorted.
As I did not figure out yet, how to insert a link in a post, the simplest way to see the mirrors on a dish is to google two words : ariza porch. Then see photo # 4.

TTSE : the small mirrors should be attached to the dish's "face" in various places, even randomly, but NOT on LNBF...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)