Replace an Openbox S10 with the more popular S9?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

radio

"On the Air" in MI
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2007
West Central Michigan
Been using an S-10 for about two months now, with its quirks. Can't fault it for picture quality, and it seems reliable where my motor drive (V-box modified for Birdview with rotary encoder) is concerned.

The more I read on this site, the less I see reference to the newer "10"...and the more I am convinced that I would have a better chance of correcting the power on/off issue, (which kills the front panel by remote but not the video-audio, it just slows and freezes requiring a full reboot) and, that I would also also be more "compatible" with the credible sources of firmware and information that are here on this site by buying the model S9.

I'm not one to constantly upgrade FW, I just want something that is proving itself to be reliable for regular day to day use. I don't do much in experimenting beyond occasional fine tuning of a dish/arc/LNB, so I'm not too "excited" about trying to change the FW in my model S10 given that info on FW compatibility between the 9 and 10 is questionable, and the more "credible" info here is always for the S9.

I, like some others may have assumed the S10 would be an improvement on S9, or I may have gotten a "knock off" box. Either way, thoughts are welcomed on my migrating to a model S9, with stable firmware. The only reason for upgrading from my Visionsat IV200 was to add HD feeds and a few channels that by nature it could not receive. Other than that, I'd still be using it!

I've not been able to verify that my box is "real", "clone," or "knockoff", and the more I read, the less this seems as important as getting a box that is fully operational with the proper FW. I don't like the idea that I may have unknowingly bought something less than genuine (which always cheats those involved in the original design and manufacture) but, I feel that I'd be more likely to enjoy my FTA if I'm on the same playing field as the majority of Openbox owners who on this site seem to be users of the previous model. Granted, the newer model will populate over time, but....sometimes "newer is not better!"

The big question: hypothetically, if this takes place, can I save my satellites and positions, then simply "dump" into a new S9 and not re-program all my satellites and favorites?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I've already sent you a PM but I'll chime in here also to get the discussion started. I think the S10 is the better choice. Since it is the newer box it should be supported longer. Also I read (sorry, can't remember where) that some firmware that works on the S10 doesn't work so well on the S9. I have the S10, never tried the S9. I will say that I have never gotten the PVR function to work on high definition signals, I have to use my PC and DVBViewer software if I want to record HD.

I take an opposite view. The S10 has fewer ports on the back, and that makes for a more limited receiver, in my view. I have the Solomend 800 from Sadoun, and it really doesn't need any more support. The PVR doesn't work well on high bit rate feeds, but other than that, I suspect the various software versions can give you a very decent , inexpensive receiver. Except for the composite video issue, I still prefer the 9/27/2010 software. :)

I had the S9 and now I have the S10 and I like the S10 much better in all feature it brings, even if they are equal i all except in size.

I had the S9 and now I have the S10 and I like the S10 much better in all feature it brings, even if they are equal i all except in size.

Did you have any issues "out of the box" with your S10 that needec correcting? What in particular do you like better in the 10, (what would I miss if I went to a properly working S9?) Thanks for responding! (and what FW version do you have?)

I felt more "educated" on FTA before buying the S10. It's like going backwards in some ways.....with more reported quirks and many varying opinions on firmware versions for individual receivers. Definitely in my case more confusing than the Pansat or the Visionsat ever was in terms of updates and the quest for stability.

Did you have any issues "out of the box" with your S10 that needec correcting? What in particular do you like better in the 10, (what would I miss if I went to a properly working S9?) Thanks for responding! (and what FW version do you have?)

I felt more "educated" on FTA before buying the S10. It's like going backwards in some ways.....with more reported quirks and many varying opinions on firmware versions for individual receivers. Definitely in my case more confusing than the Pansat or the Visionsat ever was in terms of updates and the quest for stability.

I like the gui on the S10 better than the S9 I am using file 8102011 file and this part is awesome, the only thing I don't like is the diseqc motor controls it does not seem to hold them properly I have to go and readjust the setting on certain sats , but I like the more compact size of the unit, the Time Clock in the front Panel , I notice I have hit more Sats with the S10 than S9 but it could be me since I am more dedicated to get it going better, but yes I had some issues and still do but minor ones and like all on new products there will be problems but with proper support there will be also solutions to them.

Also I use HMDI so green fix problems I have not had I also don't record any tv shows. so my use is just basically Tv and if I don't find nothing good on FTA I switch over to OTA and if not watch the MLB game online and if all else fails I go to the living room and watch Cable with the wife and daughter.. lol

regards

Mr.d

Your power off issue if because of a USB powered HDD??? Right??? I have a powered HDD that when plugged in the box will not die...hard reset. I got a new HDD case and that cured it...It seems some drives back the power up into the box and half power it or something.

Anyone else reading this, study before you buy! Also I have not read much about the HDD/power off issue and thought my box was screwed! Point is, either not many people are using powered HDD's or not many cause this problem.

Take a poll here to see what drives are working. I'll do it.

Your power off issue if because of a USB powered HDD??? Right??? I have a powered HDD that when plugged in the box will not die...hard reset. I got a new HDD case and that cured it...It seems some drives back the power up into the box and half power it or something.

Anyone else reading this, study before you buy! Also I have not read much about the HDD/power off issue and thought my box was screwed! Point is, either not many people are using powered HDD's or not many cause this problem. Take a poll here to see what drives are working. I'll do it.

There is no hard drive connected. The power issue is unique to the satellite receiver itself! Requires full reboot to shut down and bring back up. Power-off from the remote only causes front panel to go dark, and stuttering of audio and video as if the box is "half" functional. (give or take.) Me? Not impressed with the basics of this box. Like I said earlier, picture and sound quality, sensitivity good! Having to chance a FW update to fix a basic issue, NOT good. Dealer has not responded by the way.

Hmmm, that is exactly the way my S9 works with the wrong HDD. I'd try FW and sorry to hear about the dealer not responding.

And, I forgot, you should be able to use your list...you might load it in the channel editor and save it just to make sure it passes thru there ok.

Since you don't have a HDD you might see what others say about this power issue...I read one post somewhere about a box that did that and I believe it was FW or a bad (corrupted) channel list.

seagate 1tb externally powered from K-mart on the blue light special 58 bucks, works perfectly with the s9

As of this writing, the firmware update as posted for "Openbox" here on Satellite Guys and dated 8/30 helped GREATLY.
1) Front panel now shuts down from remote, goes to "clock" (which I have yet to set.)
2) Video and audio shut down with power on remote, no reboot required for full shut down.
3) The more popular muli-column favorites menu and left-hand menu icons arrived
4) The update went FLAWLESSLY with only having saved favorites to reinstall, and a backup copy of what was "original" to the box when it arrived. It did not require
anything except the usual "upgrade" commands, no manual reboot, all automatic.

I believe, given this update, that my next FTA install for a friend (converting from the old BUD days) will be to this box and this update.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts