Replaced HR22 with HR23 and now RC24 RF remotes perform poorly

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

U235

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
My HR22 bit the dust (constant crashing) and DirecTV replaced it with an HR23.

However, now my three RC24 RF remotes have severely reduced range. I used to be able to use them anywhere in my bedroom or office. Now I have to deliberately point the remotes towards the room with the HR23 and even then it only works about half the time.

Is there anything I can do as it's very annoying right now. Nothing else changed, it's the same remotes, same location of the DTV box, no new sources of interference.

Thanks

Did you set the HR23 to operate in RF mode? I know, stupid question, but usually its the stupid things that are overlooked. Hope you remembered to take off the B-band converters as well, the HR23 has them built in.

Libra, yes the remotes are in RF mode. There's no way they'd work at all in my configuration if they weren't.

Also, all remotes have fresh batteries (have already checked that).

I have not turned off the b-band converters. How do I do that?

Thanks

I was referring to the actual settings inside of the receiver. Menu>Parental/Favs/Setup>System Setup>Remote>RF Setup, I believe it is, to set up the receiver to detect RF. The remote would have been pre-programmed to to RF to the old receiver, which may have a similar RF code but not the specific one that the HR23 is set to use, which could account for the reduced range.

The B-band converters (or filters) are grey or black boxes that are connected between the satellite line and the receiver. They were essential to up-convert the low band signals to the receiver with the older models. The 23 model receivers detect the lower frequency without assistance from the B-bands, and having them attached to an HR23 may affect whether or not you get HD.

I was referring to the actual settings inside of the receiver. Menu>Parental/Favs/Setup>System Setup>Remote>RF Setup, I believe it is, to set up the receiver to detect RF. The remote would have been pre-programmed to to RF to the old receiver, which may have a similar RF code but not the specific one that the HR23 is set to use, which could account for the reduced range.

The B-band converters (or filters) are grey or black boxes that are connected between the satellite line and the receiver. They were essential to up-convert the low band signals to the receiver with the older models. The 23 model receivers detect the lower frequency without assistance from the B-bands, and having them attached to an HR23 may affect whether or not you get HD.

Yes I already reprogrammed the remotes in the menu you speak of. I programmed the remotes with the new ID from the receiver; they definitely work in RF mode, but not as well as the previous HR22.

As far as b-band, I still have this black box hooked up before my receiver. I assumed it was a signal booster; is that what you're talking about?

FYI, I've noticed no problems or degradation (even with HD) with that box in. The installer clearly saw it and didn't advise against it.

Actually my thing is called a DirecTV Power Inserter.

Yeah, that black box is it. When we first got HR23s in my office, one of the guys put them on and wondered why he didn't get his HD stations. I went with him to the job, noticed the blunder, removed them, and the HD came back. Did the installer leave you with any newer remotes? RC24s are somewhat older, we are using RC64s now. If you are inclined to, you can probably get RC64Rs from Best Buy. It may or may not help.

Yes I got one new remote with the new receiver; it looks exactly the same. Is there an easy way to tell what model they are?

Actually the black box is a power inserter and it's required for the slimline dish or something like that. It is definitely not a BBC.

Okay, yeah. Don't remove that, you'll lose your signal. lol.

Top left of the remote, right above the TV input button, it will have a model number. The one I have right in front of me reads RC64, which does not do the RF function. There is also another one that is RC64R, which does do the RF.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts