Status
Please reply by conversation.

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
Anyone know where I can get one for a SuperPowerJack QARL3624? Or should I just buy a new actuator?

If the motor has quit, it is quite typical for the SuperJack wire to have a broken lead on one of the the brushes. Might be able to get a few more miles out of the actuator by disassembling the motor housing and soldering the wire.

If you by another actuator, consider the Venture Maxi Ball. It will likely outlive all of us with occasional maintenance.

It's either that or put in my 18" actuator or buy a new 24" actuator. The actuator works in above freezing temperatures but gives an Er2 (loss of pulse counts) message in colder weather.

Anyway, it's getting harder to find this stuff in the U.S.

SuperPowerJack QARL3624?
I have some of the motors available. If you give exact diameter of the tube of the actuator and can compare to motors I have. I also can check workability of the motors before you decide whether you need it or not. Shipping could cost ~10 bucks.

Attachments

• IMG_20161227_223835 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20161227_223835 (Custom).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 273
I have some of the motors available. If you give exact diameter of the tube of the actuator and can compare to motors I have. I also can check workability of the motors before you decide whether you need it or not. Shipping could cost ~10 bucks.

This is the tube size I found at http://www.dmsiusa.com/linear-actuator/ : Tube Diameter: 41.275mm / 1 5/8 inches

Actuators I have are 18' and 24' long and have tube diameter about 35mm.

Attachments

• IMG_20161227_231401 (Custom).jpg
    IMG_20161227_231401 (Custom).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 203
Doesn't sound like a motor problem. Errors during cold weather operation could be due to moisture freezing in the extension tube and/or the type of lube in the tube and gears. Installing an rubber accordion cover on the extension will help keep water and moisture from entering the tube. Many lubes turn to the consistency of glue when below operating temperature.

Remove the current lube, clean and dry the tube and gears. replace with a moisture resistant cold weather lube (Jet-lube Artic or other synthetic). Some actuators are wrapped with heat tape and insulated to keep them moving in cold regions.

I was getting errors on my 18" Superjack until I straight wired the connections in the motor housing. The terminal block wasn't giving a good connection. IIRC, it was worse during cold weather.

I pigtailed the wire pairs then screwed them into a terminal spot for good measure. Only takes a few minutes to do. (And you can always switch them back later if it doesn't help)

I could have replaced the terminal block, but I don't figure my actuator will last much longer anyway.My acme nut/thread is about stripped.

Reactions: hank123
Doesn't sound like a motor problem. Errors during cold weather operation could be due to moisture freezing in the extension tube and/or the type of lube in the tube and gears. Installing an rubber accordion cover on the extension will help keep water and moisture from entering the tube. Many lubes turn to the consistency of glue when below operating temperature.

Remove the current lube, clean and dry the tube and gears. replace with a moisture resistant cold weather lube (Jet-lube Artic or other synthetic). Some actuators are wrapped with heat tape and insulated to keep them moving in cold regions.

It'll be awhile. It's too cold to be messing with this right now. I'll just use Netflix if I really "need" to watch TV.

Reactions: hank123
Titanium said: ?

It'll be awhile. It's too cold to be messing with this right now. I'll just use Netflix if I really "need" to watch TV.

I tried using some heat tape wrapped around the actuator but it's only rated for 5 watts. So I tried wrapping the heat tape with fiberglass insulation to see if that would help. I still can't get the actuator warmed up enough even though the snow won't accumulate within 6 inches of the heat tape. It's only 8 degrees and snowing as I write this. I can't find any heat tape around here that would impart more heat and the ones I did find aren't suppose to wrap around the pipe - those have to be installed straight. Anyway, I've got a new actuator coming. It's the same type as I got now - QARL3624.

On my existing actuator, I've noticed that a moisture seal is missing. I suppose the birds were hungry or needed the material for a nest. If this existing actuator is repairable I don't know if I can find a new seal to keep this from happening again. So, I'll have to keep looking for a suitable heat tape to help prevent this from happening again whether or not I find a suitable replacement for the moisture seal. I guess looking for an accordion cover is something to look into.

I should look for heat blankets to put on the back of the dish also. Snow accumulation in the dish wipes out the high symbol rate (30000+) signals even on my 12 foot C-band dish.

Heh, Amazon just sent me an e-mail to inform me that they're cancelling my QARL 3624 order because it's out of stock. When I ordered it, they said they had more than 10 in-stock. Anyway, I found it a lot cheaper at squareup.com. I don't know the reputation of this site and I wonder if this a refurbished unit (because of it being $90 less than at Amazon).

I contacted Von Weiss for a quote. They requested more info even though I told them exactly what I wanted. Regardless, I tried to reply to their e-mail only to find out that they're using an RBL that rejected my reply. Interesting that the RBL that they are using is the *only* RBL that blacklists my IP. I could contact them via a different mail server but it ticked me off that they rejected mail from my main SMTP server so I won't be considering their product. Besides, the QARL3624 has worked great for over 10 years until now.

I was thinking used rather than new. The only thing that seems to go on these is the nut in the tube which can be replaced. Good Luck!

Saved by Amazon! :D Someone above the Clarke belt is trying to tell you to buy a better product! LOL!!!!

Venture: 866-365-1985

That phone number is incorrect. Anyway, I called them and got a lower price but they seem somewhat disorganized. I don't know when they'll ship because the lady I talked to had no idea if they had one in stock and the people that know are gone for the day. I hope their product is better than their customer service.

Had grabbed the number off the Internet. Sorry! 866-365-1957 is the number in my files.

Venture has been around as long as the satellite industry and the ball screw is considered to be one of the best!

Satellite actuator sales are a fraction of what they once were. If it weren't for RV leveling jacks/slideouts and automatic gates, we wouldn't still have a great company providing a great product for our dishes!

They run an occasional satellite actuator production to maintain an "as needed" inventory. The original owner's son now runs the company and he has some great stories about the early years and his dad building samples at their home. You can tell that he has an interest in continuing to support the industry. :)

It's either that or put in my 18" actuator or buy a new 24" actuator. The actuator works in above freezing temperatures but gives an Er2 (loss of pulse counts) message in colder weather.

Anyway, it's getting harder to find this stuff in the U.S.
I notice C band parts are almost non existing doing google searching. Kind of sad.

I notice C band parts are almost non existing doing google searching. Kind of sad.
yeah, but i did notice the actuators used for solar panels appear to be nearly identical, and have seen up to 48" actuators for solar applications. Havent looked into weather or not they would work or not or are compatible (reed switch) but they are 36v.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts