Replacing a defective receiver restarts your two year commitment?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

daverp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
Canceled DirecTV last month after switching to Uverse and just got a $360 charge on my credit card. On hold now for a supervisor but the rep is telling that replacing my defective receiver in January restarted my two year commitment. He says “that’s how it works, any receiver change, add, remove, or defective replacement restarts your contract”.

Does this sound even close to being true to anyone?

I have had the same equipment (not conting all the replacemnts of my HR-2X) and programing package for the last 2 1/2 years.

all i know is when my dvr, the one i bought and owned went kaput, they sent me a new dvr, then when i tried to cancel, they said since i got my dvr replaced, i have a two year contract.

They wavied the fee and credited it back to me. After 30 minutes the rep came back on and just said they would wave it. Supervisor never did get on the line.

daverp,
I think if you have the Protection plan you do not get the contract extension.

I did have the protection plan. I don't know if it was a screw up and rep was just talk out his as* like normal or is this a real thing. They waived the fee so I don't care.

I have I of three defective receivers.

I tried to activate one of many "legacy" receivers I have & was told it would not work. Called back and got another CSR who actually tried without success.

SO I have a garage full of SD receivers. DTV will not activate any of them. They do want another two year commitment (after about ten years).

I am looking around.

Joe

A 2 year extention for replacing THEIR DEFECTIVE equipment that you pay a lease fee on is not right. Is this in the user contract? I couldn't find it, but didn't read every single line.

If it's not in writing, I don't see how they can get away with this. And what exactly would the protection plan have to protect you from a contract extension. I didn't see any mention of that in the protection plan agreement.

Does Directv make this stuff up as they go along?

i wish i could get outa my two year contract, but since they leased me a new dvr, there isnt
IF THERE IS TeLL ME!!!

i have read their contract several times regarding loopholes and that is not something that is stipulated in the contract.

i have read their contract several times regarding loopholes and that is not something that is stipulated in the contract.
I don't believe it's something they can enforce, unless it's in the contract. Perhaps this is why the OP was able to get a "waiver."

I simply do not see how it is right to renew a 2 year commitment for their defective equipment. An upgrade, yes. A replacement for defect, no. The protection plan shouldn't make a difference, and does not seem to be mentioned in the protection plan agreement anyway. Somehow, this seems to be word of mouth, which of course is not a legally binding agreement.

i wish i could get outa my two year contract, but since they leased me a new dvr, there isnt
IF THERE IS TeLL ME!!!
Getting new equipment seems somewhat fair to extend a contract, sorry. Defective replacement is absolutely not right to extend.

I replaced a defective HD DVR a couple months ago and recently inquired about cancelling. They didnt even try to pull this bologna on me but these horror stories and ridiculous treatment of customers is one of the reasons why I am planning to leave. The agreement of their policies by some of the D* shills on here is another reason. Fair is fair and this is absurd.

If you receiver is leased (activated after March 2006 IIRC) then it is DirecTV owned. If DirecTV owned equipment fails, they replace it at no cost (excluding $19.95 shipping).

This should not result in a new contract, if they replace a leased receiver with the same equipment (i.e. H for H or HR for HR).

If it was an owned receiver, then they can require a two year contract and the new receiver could be considered leased, but they would have to disclose those things to you before shipping or activating the new replacement receiver.

Whenever I have a receiver replaced I am very careful to remind them they own the equipment, as I am a lease customer, and there should be no extension of contract. Each time the CSR agreed and indicated that was how the order was entered.

Since it can be done both ways, I believe that often it is a screwup on the CSR when ordering the replacement receiver.

This should not result in a new contract said:
It was a leased revicer. Over the 2 1/2 years I had multiple failures and the replacements where HR20, HR21, HR22.

This is the kind of convoluted rules that scares me. Why do they not simply post your commitment end date online and on your paper bill so you ALWAYS know what the terms of your commitment are?

i dont know why, i cant just send in my leased box, thus ending the contract.

im going to zero my balance and suspend it for 6 months

Come Monday when the Comcast installation is complete, I will happily tell D* to stick it were the sun doesn't shine. They have finally driven me to the point of no return. I'll miss the NFL package, but not enough that my $200 a moth bill will keep me up at night.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts