Replacing a DVR with an HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jaybird28

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
Seattle
I replaced a old Direct DVR with a new Direct HD DVR using a HDMI cable. I get HD fine on my new LCD TV but the problem is that I can't record one channel and watch another like I can on my downstairs Plasma set-up. It sure looks like I hooked everything up right.
Any ideas????????????????

Just to make sure, you do have two cables connecting your upstairs HD DVR to the dish, or you have a SWM8 or SWMLNB which does allow for two tuner operation via only one cable?

The set-up from the previous DVR looks like one cable what the Direct guy installed is marked DS6.07-02 but the other cable looks like a basic whit cable cord. Could that be the problem. Do I need to change out the basic cord that's being used on one of the hook-ups

Don't know I wouldn't think though so. What I'd recommend doing is if this was an upgrade that DirecTV did call them and have a tech come back out and fix it so it works.

As long as you're checking thing do both lines have the BBC adapters connected on them? Have you done a system test and checked the satellite signals (get to those via MENU and then SETUP to see if it says you have readings on both tuners? Have you tried rebooting the box to see if that helps?

You are so right. Tuner #2 has no signal and says "Not Acquired" but it sure looks like I have an HD quality picture. Now what?

You only need one tuner working for HD, you need two so you can record two programs at the same time or watch one and record another.

Try swapping the two cables and see if it follows. If it does then try just swapping the BBC's, leave the cables and see if you can find the source of the problem. Don't forget to just try a reboot to see if it fixes it.

I tried all the switching and rebooting to no avail. Sounds like if I want to Record one and watch another I'll have to call a Direct guy and get him out here. Thanks so much for your help

One last question. I think I'm looking at one of the two cables coming into the room as a left over from Comcast. Would the basic Direct DVR allow you to record one channel and watch another on just one cable cord from the satelitte?? Is it HD that requires two cables for this feature to work???

Unless a Single Wire Module is installed you've always needed two cables to a DVR to be able to watch one channel and record another.

One last question. I think I'm looking at one of the two cables coming into the room as a left over from Comcast. Would the basic Direct DVR allow you to record one channel and watch another on just one cable cord from the satelitte?? Is it HD that requires two cables for this feature to work???

IF you don't have the SWM 3-5 LNB set up, you need 2 lines connected to the rec.

Weather it's HD or not doesn't matter.
Trace out the left over cable and see where it goes, maybe the D* tech forgot about it or got side tracked.
IF it goes to your LNB or ground block chances are you just need to connect it to the second tuner on the back of the rec.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)