Replacing car head unit

LocutusOfBorg

Free speech is more important than your feelings
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I'm looking to replace my OEM head unit in my 2014 Xterra since it doesn't stream bluetooth (except for hands free phone). But should I upgrade to bluetooth to stream SiriusXM or get a SiriusXM ready receiver with a SiriusXM receiver or both. The built in receiver works fine until I'm under a canopy. But streaming doesn't work when not in range of a cell tower. I hear the audio quality is better when streaming. I haven't gone through a tunnel in a long time so I don't know if they'll both drop out in a tunnel.

I'm looking to replace my OEM head unit in my 2014 Xterra since it doesn't stream bluetooth (except for hands free phone). But should I upgrade to bluetooth to stream SiriusXM or get a SiriusXM ready receiver with a SiriusXM receiver or both. The built in receiver works fine until I'm under a canopy. But streaming doesn't work when not in range of a cell tower. I hear the audio quality is better when streaming. I haven't gone through a tunnel in a long time so I don't know if they'll both drop out in a tunnel.
IMHO a bluetooth-capable radio is a must have for safety. That way you can place and receive calls via the radio rather than fiddling with your cell phone.

As for streaming from your phone or from satellite... I think they'll both go out in a tunnel. What I do is use SiriusXM to discover new artists I like, and then I buy the track or album, download to a thumb drive, and play the thumb drive in my car. If your Xterra doesn't have such capability, you can buy radio/players that can.

Reactions: Jimbo and Foxbat
I'm looking to replace my OEM head unit in my 2014 Xterra since it doesn't stream bluetooth (except for hands free phone).
I’ve used Crutchfield.com for many years and they have a “Will it Fit?” page that will help identify your options.
Not knowing which radio you have in your 2014 Xterra, I went with the base radio and Crutchfield identified over 150 possibilities that would fit.

I’ve used Crutchfield.com for many years and they have a “Will it Fit?” page that will help identify your options.
Not knowing which radio you have in your 2014 Xterra, I went with the base radio and Crutchfield identified over 150 possibilities that would fit.
I don't have the Rockford version but I have the double DIN radio. Looks like there's only 6 with the features that I want. I've already changed out the speakers. I doubt I'll put a subwoofer in.

With the double DIN size you should be able to get a nice screen in that space. I guess Nissan OEM speakers were 2 Ohm so you replacing them helps with the replacement radio. Hopefully you have some ideas of what’s available and the costs.

When I helped my son replace the factory radio & speakers in his Pontiac G6, Crutchfield had the step-by-step instructions on removing the interior trim pieces. They also had the harness available for a plug-and-play replacement (although I have no problems with soldering).

Good luck with your refresh!

With the double DIN size you should be able to get a nice screen in that space. I guess Nissan OEM speakers were 2 Ohm so you replacing them helps with the replacement radio. Hopefully you have some ideas of what’s available and the costs.

When I helped my son replace the factory radio & speakers in his Pontiac G6, Crutchfield had the step-by-step instructions on removing the interior trim pieces. They also had the harness available for a plug-and-play replacement (although I have no problems with soldering).

Good luck with your refresh!
I need to finish the 02 Mustang upgrade first. I need to remount the 4 channel amplifier and install more sound deadening material. But I'm not going to go nuts and cover every square inch. Plus I just got a new laptop that I'm working on customizing and adding Linux to it. Lots of projects to keep me busy in retirement.

Reactions: Foxbat
Bluetooth and Carplay should be a requirement and HD radio should be a desireable option. Carplay gives you navigation without the added expense of a GPS and permits streaming

Reactions: LocutusOfBorg