Repost, but time running out

johnml

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 3, 2006
fort lauderdale
Originally Posted by johnml

I am considering switching to Xfinity. I've been informed my neighborhood has been upgraded to fiber. I've been a Directv customer for ten years and really like it. I currently have 3 HD-DVR's and one standard. Xfinity was in my neighborhood yesterday pitching their new service - every channel, three room HD- DVR (whole house?) with one standard receiver for back bedroom. Internet speeds up to 100 Mbps and home phone. The first year it's $145 tax included, the second year it jumps up $20. I really like Directv, but the Xfinity package sounds great. As far as Internet, the fastest available in my area (Ft Lauderdale) is 1.5 Mbps which sucks for the area I live in. From what Att tells me I'm just outside the stations hi speed limit of 1000 ft. Anybody have any thoughts? I'm comfortable with Directv, but the monthly bill is $110 with no pay channels, just three HD DVR's and one standard DVR.

I have a scheduled appointment Friday, and I'm going nuts here (still considering canceling). gAlthough with Xfinity I'll get every pay channel, 3 room (whole house) DVR and digital box for back room, high speed (30mbps) and home phone fir $20 more than my Directv bill. Im on the fence still even know it's a great deal from Xfinity, but I left Comcast/Xfinity ten years to come to Directv due to crappy customer service. I'm concerned of the HD picture quality for Xfinity.

Any thoughts? Advise?
Anybody in south Florida do the switch? How is it?

Thanks in advance

johnml said:
Originally Posted by johnml

I am considering switching to Xfinity. I've been informed my neighborhood has been upgraded to fiber. I've been a Directv customer for ten years and really like it. I currently have 3 HD-DVR's and one standard. Xfinity was in my neighborhood yesterday pitching their new service - every channel, three room HD- DVR (whole house?) with one standard receiver for back bedroom. Internet speeds up to 100 Mbps and home phone. The first year it's $145 tax included, the second year it jumps up $20. I really like Directv, but the Xfinity package sounds great. As far as Internet, the fastest available in my area (Ft Lauderdale) is 1.5 Mbps which sucks for the area I live in. From what Att tells me I'm just outside the stations hi speed limit of 1000 ft. Anybody have any thoughts? I'm comfortable with Directv, but the monthly bill is $110 with no pay channels, just three HD DVR's and one standard DVR.

I have a scheduled appointment Friday, and I'm going nuts here (still considering canceling). gAlthough with Xfinity I'll get every pay channel, 3 room (whole house) DVR and digital box for back room, high speed (30mbps) and home phone fir $20 more than my Directv bill. Im on the fence still even know it's a great deal from Xfinity, but I left Comcast/Xfinity ten years to come to Directv due to crappy customer service. I'm concerned of the HD picture quality for Xfinity.

Any thoughts? Advise?
Anybody in south Florida do the switch? How is it?

Thanks in advance

Trying to get Comcast/Xfinity customer advise.

HD quality is great. If your area has World of More, you'll have more HD than Direct.

Why not do the install, keep Direct connected, and try it out for a couple of weeks? If you don't like it they have a 30 day Money Back guarantee.

Don't forget to check out all the HD On-Demand!

HD quality is great. If your area has World of More, you'll have more HD than Direct.

Why not do the install, keep Direct connected, and try it out for a couple of weeks? If you don't like it they have a 30 day Money Back guarantee.

Don't forget to check out all the HD On-Demand!

The On-Demand is where cable really shines. The internet service is great too. The only outage I have ever had was during a severe ice storm and I don't blame them for being out. Comcast is rock solid in our area and we should have DOCSIS 3.0 within a few days. Very happy that I jumped from AT&T.

Did they give you the price of the additional digital outlets? They didn't with me when I switched to Comcast a few years ago. Came as a surprise when I was charged an additional $10 for the second digital outlet. Don't be surprised to see things like this on your bill that they didn't tell you about until you see it.

I'd say go with Comcast, but watch out. They made me a great deal a year ago, but when the introductory offer expired, my bill suddenly (and quietly) jumped from about $100 to about $300. I called the service rep, and after a detailed discussion, I was able to get the new amount down to about $200. Remember, everything is negotiable, but this is the best I could do this time. Comcast HD picture quality is great, better than DirecTV I would say, and the Xfinity Internet is many times faster than DSL and satellite. FIOS might be as fast, but it is not available everywhere. You really have to pay close attention to all the details when dealing with the phone, Internet and cable TV companies, or you will be quietly taken to the cleaners.

Over all I'm happy. I get the triple play (HBO / STARZ) 20 Mbps (at least) and home phone for $140 a month for first year, then 160 for 2nd year. So far, so good. I was a Directv guy, but the price was $115 a month with no pay channels. I have the whole house DVR now when before I had a DVR in every room-that's the only adjustment I needed to make. I can record two shows and watch a third. I'm in south Florida.

1 whole house DVR with three HD TV's connected and 1 HDTV connected with just a digital box.

just be aware that comcast 'whole home dvr' is just basically remote viewing, if its available in your area (basically ask a neighbor if there boxes are motorola, or scientific atlanta/cisco, needs to be moto only) you can watch things you record on the slave boxes, but cannot setup recordings anywhere other than the physical dvr, and you can only have 1 physical dvr at this time. Also the anyroom a/os need to be HD boxes, which are the same monthly price as sd boxes, so make sure to tell your rep you have all hd tvs.

Just be sure you compare apples to apples. I am seeing quite different scenario's being used here to compare.

I'd say go with Comcast, but watch out. They made me a great deal a year ago, but when the introductory offer expired, my bill suddenly (and quietly) jumped from about $100 to about $300. I called the service rep, and after a detailed discussion, I was able to get the new amount down to about $200. Remember, everything is negotiable, but this is the best I could do this time. Comcast HD picture quality is great, better than DirecTV I would say, and the Xfinity Internet is many times faster than DSL and satellite. FIOS might be as fast, but it is not available everywhere. You really have to pay close attention to all the details when dealing with the phone, Internet and cable TV companies, or you will be quietly taken to the cleaners.

I ran into the same situation recently. Last yr, I went with Comcast on a 2 yr deal. First year, it was $89.99 a month, which went up to about $103 with some extras. The basic pkg was most if not all, their HD channels, HBO & Starz, 15 mbps internet and, phone, of course. Second yr, it's supposed to go up by $20. Thing is, at the end of the first yr, it all goes bakc to normal prices and I got a bill for about $240. MY son went through the same thing. I called them to tell them what the deal was. I got inot a huge argument with a service rep. She said my account showed no kind of deal like that and the best she could do for me was $154 a month. I told her no way, that me and Comcast agreed to a 2 yr deal and I expected them to hold up their end of it. She kept insisting that there was no deal like that at this time. I said, it didn't matter what the deals were now, we agreed to it last yr. I hung up on her, then called back and got someone else, told them what was going on and she said, she knew all about it, the other rep was wrong and that she was going to connect me with someone in promotions. Got there and they fixed everything up and even took some money off the new bill. It seems that on a 2 yr promotion, after the first yr, you have to do it like a new deal. So, now, I'm happy, my bill regualr bill will be about $123 a month. They promotions rep said next yr, when this one is up, we'll see what kind of promotions are going and maybe get another good one.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts