Repurposing My Orby Boat Anchor Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Cosmo Blatz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 13, 2014
S.E. WI and Central NV
I realize I can us the Orby LNB. My question is, if I move the dish from its current position on Eutelsat 116.8 W over to 87 W will the skew automatically be correct when I'm on 87W. Seems the design of the ORBY mount and dish should give the correct skew on any satellite.
Am I correct on this? Or do I have to modify the Orby LNB mount so the LNB can be manually rotated to the correct skew for 87W?

I think the whole dish rotates for skew, there should be some bolts on the back of the dish to loosen and a gauge showing degrees (-/+). The Orby dish is good to go for FTA having a linear ku lnb

Reactions: Cosmo Blatz
If you are interested in adding a dual LNB to the Orby dish - I believe it is the same as the 60cm Shaw Direct Channel Master dish, which originally came with a dual Ku for 4 degree satellites 107 and 111. They got upgraded to an xKu/Ku a few years ago and a lot of the original dual Ku are still floating around looking for new projects. 60cm is a bit small for most FTA but for music on 103 and stuff on 99, it might be a thing. Same with 87 and 91.

I realize I can us the Orby LNB. My question is, if I move the dish from its current position on Eutelsat 116.8 W over to 87 W will the skew automatically be correct when I'm on 87W. Seems the design of the ORBY mount and dish should give the correct skew on any satellite.
Am I correct on this? Or do I have to modify the Orby LNB mount so the LNB can be manually rotated to the correct skew for 87W?
I don't know if you or someone else can answer this for me since you're talking about Orby. I have a DVR that still functions as it did prior to Oby shutting down If I purchase another DVR from some existing stock, will it work with the OTA channels as the one I currently have, or would it require some type of activation before it would work?

I don't know if you or someone else can answer this for me since you're talking about Orby. I have a DVR that still functions as it did prior to Oby shutting down If I purchase another DVR from some existing stock, will it work with the OTA channels as the one I currently have, or would it require some type of activation before it would work?
I believe only activated units will function. :( This thread will bring you up to speed. Usage after demise: Hacking receiver's and DVR's firmware for something else?

You will indeed need to adjust the skew on the Orby dish when re-aiming to another satellite. And -- yes -- that is accomplished by rotating the entire dish after loosening the nuts surrounding the skew axis. Dishpointer.com will provide the skew setting (as well as azimuth and elevations settings) once you zero-in on your location and select the satellite you want to point to.

I have an Orby dish and went through all of this after the Orby company demise and I went FTA with it. pointing it to 103W. I got an Amiko HD265 from Michael and connected that to my Orby dish.

Richard

Attachments

• 6F9BFD55-080F-4FAC-A636-050B6D97F587.jpeg
    6F9BFD55-080F-4FAC-A636-050B6D97F587.jpeg
    278.5 KB · Views: 119
Reactions: k.r.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)