Requesting a little alignment assistance...

hillsmi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Michigan
I am trying to help a lady install her Glorystar dual LNB system with a Fortec Merc II.

I had to relocate the dish due to trees.

I am currently getting a signal level of 86-88%, but my problem is that I cannot, for the life of me, get my signal quality above 50% to lock all the channels.

The best I can get is around 46-47. It bounces between the high 30s to mid-40s.

I'm working with a zip of 48806; settings of azimuth 207.5, elev of 38 and skew of +14.9. All of these settings are as close as I can get them. And with a signal level of 88-90%, I would think I would be right on.

I can adjust the elevation 'just a hair,' and I do mean 'just a hair' and I notice a huge signal difference, but not in a good way.

My LNB is set at the 3/4" and I've even tried moving it closer to and away from the dish, but with no positive results.

I relocated the receiver with a small t.v. at the dish, so I can see the results of anything I do immediately.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the signal quality up and over the 50% mark so that I can lock all the channels?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I may add that I did perform, per GS instructions, the factory reset procedure, and used the 2020 code.

I then entered the TP menu, located the GS19 bird, changed to 11842, polarity to Horiz, and also the 22000; at this point is when I received the 86-90% SL, but can only get a quality of mid-40s.

hillsmi said:
I may add that I did perform, per GS instructions, the factory reset procedure, and used the 2020 code.

I then entered the TP menu, located the GS19 bird, changed to 11842, polarity to Horiz, and also the 22000; at this point is when I received the 86-90% SL, but can only get a quality of mid-40s.

Signal Level only indicates that you are connecting to a working LNBF it is not an indication of being on a correct satellite or aiming.

Do the channels scan in? If not, you may not be on the correct satellite. Try 12177 V 23000 and verify correct satellite with TBN channels scanning in.
Check for warped or bent dish?
Rotate the LNBF for peak Signal Quality?
Push or pull the LNBF towards or away from the relector?
Check for line of sight issues?

Further...

Signal Level only indicates that you are connecting to a working LNBF it is not an indication of being on a correct satellite or aiming.

Do the channels scan in? If not, you may not be on the correct satellite. Try 12177 V 23000 and verify correct satellite with TBN channels scanning in.
Check for warped or bent dish?
Rotate the LNBF for peak Signal Quality?
Push or pull the LNBF towards or away from the relector?
Check for line of sight issues?

I am revisiting this site / dish tomorrow...

1. There are no LOS issues; clear sky above, in front of and around.
2. I did try manipulating the LNB closer to and away from the dish, without much improvement.
3. I did rotate the dual LNB bracket, starting with the prescribed 14.8 / 14.9, but did not find an improvement over the prescribed setting of the 14.8 or 14.9.
4. Dish does not appear warped from side-viewing; I will apply the string test to see if the dish is not true.
5. I will try the 12177 setting with vertical and 23000.

Am I supposed to choose the G25 C or Ku? Both those options are available when I toggle through the birds.

This is the first GS setup I've tried solo.

Could one please explain regarding the scanning for channels, best way to, menu choices for, etc?

Thank you again. I will be taking these suggestions to the site tomorrow and applying them in hopes of getting a good q-level and locking in the channels.

Last edited:
Doh!!

Prior to going back out to this site today, I wanted to read and gather as much info as I could to hopefully get it right in a short amount of time.

I've made myself notes from other threads, watched the install / re-aiming video, etc.

I think I may have found my problem, and will update when job is complete.

After, for some reason, re-reading the install manual for the Merc II, I found that LNB2 is for G19.

All day yesterday, I was trying to get a signal lock and quality from G19 using LNB1. :rant: :eek: This would probably explain a lot wouldn't it?

How dumb do I look? :eek: (If you are new to something, read the instructions people).

What am I missing? Still can't get it

Okay, so, after reading the manual, I began to acquire the signal off LNB2 with a direct connection from the LNB to the receiver with a tv located at the dish.

In the TP screen, G25 97.0W, Freq 11842, Horizontal and Symbol of 22000, I can get a Level of 80s, but still cannot get the Quality above 50.

Am I starting with too high of a Level, to get the Quality over 50?

Should I adjust the dish for a lower level of around 60 or 70 to try for a >50 Quality?

I've been working this dish for two days, adjusting az, elev, skew and LNB / reflector distance, but just can't get the Quality to lock above 50.

There are some channels coming in, but not as many as there should be.

I've done a factory reset of the box, and entered the 2020 code (dual LNB system).

The TBN channel comes in with level >70 with <50 Qual, but when trying the other suggested channel (I forget which), there is about a level of 50s with Qual of 30s-40.

I popped this dish in about a year ago without problem, but now after having to relocate due to tree growth, I just can't get it done.

Any more ideas? Some expertise, etc.

Thanks,

hillsmi said:
, G25 97.0W, Freq 11842, Horizontal and Symbol of 22000, I can get a Level of 80s, but still cannot get the Quality above 50.
------snip-----
The TBN channel comes in with level >70 with <50 Qual

The install is sounding successful. 50% SQ on the Fortec Star Mercury II is more than adequate for these transponders to lock, scan and display the channels. What other TP are you trying to lock and scan?

The install is sounding successful. 50% SQ on the Fortec Star Mercury II is more than adequate for these transponders to lock, scan and display the channels. What other TP are you trying to lock and scan?

I'm just using the 11842, Hori, and 22000 on G19. Level is in the 80s, but Quality can't get above 50%.

I've panned, elevated / declined, skewed, and moved the LNB in and out.

And I was using LNB2, as the booklet dictates for G19.

Should I be doing it from a screen other than the TP screen in the setup? This is where a GS phone tech rep said I should be doing it from, and when I get Qual above 50, to press 'Store'

Currently, the Level is low 80s, and Qual is 40s.

I think you are misreading my post...

The signal 'level' which is the top of the two bars on the bottom of the screen on the Merc II is in the 80s.

However, the 'quality,' which is the bottom of the two bars, is what I am having trouble getting up and over 50 for a good lock and channel scan.

This 'quality' % is what a GS phone tech states has to be > 50 for the the receiver to scan and lock all the available channels. They stated that if the 'quality' is < 50%, that I won't be able to gain all the channels, and in inclimate / severe weather, will most-likely lose the little that I have, being that the 'quality' is < 50%.

There were two versions of the Mercury II's firmware. the later version read lower Signal Quality levels then the first. I have seen many times when it was not possible to achieve 50% on 97W according to the MII reading - but on my Super Buddy meter I would get readings in the mid 70s. So you can not rely on absolute readings when adjusting a MII. This is one of the main reasons I like to use my own meter or as in days past my own receiver for alignment - that way I am working with readings that are comparable to previous installs.
Bob

There were two versions of the Mercury II's firmware. the later version read lower Signal Quality levels then the first. I have seen many times when it was not possible to achieve 50% on 97W according to the MII reading - but on my Super Buddy meter I would get readings in the mid 70s. So you can not rely on absolute readings when adjusting a MII. This is one of the main reasons I like to use my own meter or as in days past my own receiver for alignment - that way I am working with readings that are comparable to previous installs.
Bob

The above being true, can anyone (Glorystar1) confirm this, and tell me where I can identify the firmware version of the receiver (it's over a year old; maybe 2 or 3), and tell me which version may read lower signal and quality values.

(E* did this a while back, applying updates to the receiver that deceptively led the customer / installer that the visible signal level displayed by the receiver was lower than actual. Why was this done? Who knows. It doesn't make sense. IMO, it's kind of a idiotic upgrade)

I have entertained the idea of acquiring a better quality (identification) meter to perform these installs.

I currently left the system with level in the 80s and quality in the 40s (I know, it's not good). But with the time I have spent, I couldn't get it any better. The system owner is aware of this, and I have informed that if I get any further assistance in how I can increase the signal to lock all channels, that I would revisit the site, or in the recent future, if I acquire a better quality meter, I will surely apply it to maximize the reception.

tell me which version may read lower signal and quality values.

The original Mercury II firmware would not allow fine tuning adjustments as the meter would often be pegged on stronger TPs. I believe that the meter display numbers for the Signal Quality were lowered for Glorystar version in or about version released 03/21/2007- GS_V0443

Last edited: