Requesting patient person with some expertise...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hillsmi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
Michigan
Trying to help someone install a FTA...

Receiver is StarSat RX130D+
Dish is a generic, no label 76cm
LNB is a generic 97.5 - 10.6

My meter...

FirstStrike; I can program the desired bird, Freq, SR, LO, 22Khz on or off, and either 18 or 13V, then when the bird is in sight, signal gets stronger and hopefully 'LOCKS'

He is wanting the Foreign / Arabic stations on the 97.0W orbital

At first, I didn't know what he was looking for, so I tuned the dish to Freq of 12090 with SR of 22000 and 10750; obtained good signal and quality (I used this for a Glorystar install).

But when we did the channel search, then I discovered that what he was wanting, apparently doesn't come through on the above TP?

So, in the menu of his receiver, there are many options for TP / Freq. And from what I saw, I told him that he has to pick the TP with the majority of the channels he is interested in, and then I would program my meter, and we can tune the dish.

The receiver is a few years old, and he doesn't have the manual.

He looked on a website and it looks as though 11836 is the TP with most of what he wants, I think. And the corresponding Freq for that in the menu is 20765.

My question to someone out there is this...

For him to get most / all of what he wants, and with his receiver only able to lock on a particular TP / Freq at once (I think?), what is the best choice to give him what he wants?

And am I thinking correctly, that when we choose the TP / Freq in the menu, that we can only tune to that one, and we get the channels we get? And if we want a different TP, that the dish has be be reaimed?

I thought that if I got a good locked signal from the 12090 / 22000 / 10750, that I would be able to get anything, but I guess I was mistaken.

What should I program my meter to, in regards to Freq, SR, LO, and either H or V, and 22Khz on or off?

Any expertise / advise with this install is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Robert

the only reason you select a TP in the menu is to check the quality on that TP....it is not a setting....you should be able to get ALL of the active TPs and channels on the satellite with your dish aimed in the same position/aimed properly....you need to list the make and model number of your LNB and list all of the settings you are using before any help can be given to you....

LNB info per request of reply...

the only reason you select a TP in the menu is to check the quality on that TP....it is not a setting....you should be able to get ALL of the active TPs and channels on the satellite with your dish aimed in the same position/aimed properly....you need to list the make and model number of your LNB and list all of the settings you are using before any help can be given to you....

LNB is listed as EuroStar Japan, ESKD-P8+, Freq 10.7 - 12.75Ghz, LO 9.75 / 10.60Ghz

Thank you for any further information you can assist with from the OP in addition to the requested LNB info.

set your lnb type to standard and set the lnb freq to 10600 and turn the 22khz setting to on

Thank you for that. When I revisit on Monday, I will use those settings (in the receiver menu) to start, and adjust my meter to meet those.

To clarify; I will set the meter for a Freq of 10600, 22Khz on.

What about the SR and LO? I can set those in my meter. Also the LNB, I can adjust to either 13 or 18v.

And for additional information, when I had set the meter for Freq 12090, SR 20000, LO of 10750, LNB H at 18v and 22Khz on, I got a signal strength in the high-80s, and best quality was in the low-to-mid 60s.

But then, when he went to search for his channels from a few years ago when the system was installed, nothing he wanted was found / locked during the channel search. Why would this be, if the first reply stated that once you get a good signal, you should receive ALL from that satellite?

Thank you again.

Explaination - your LNBF is a "universal". the LO is 9750 to receive TP's below 11700. Not applicable for N.A. sats.
With the 22khz ON, the LO changes to 10600. This enables receiving the NA TP freqs above 11700.
In your first post, you used 10750 for LO. So the Q registered was not TP 12090, but most likely 11940. (probably locked onto 11936 H 20000)
Programmed Ku TP minus actual LO = the actual freq the receiver tunes.
Since you had a Q reading, and confirmed you're on 97W, Try the settings as Mikey11 suggests, (That's a correct way for NA with a Universal LNBF in NA.) You should have SUCCESS.
13 v is for V polarity, 18v for horizontal - Get TP info from The List

"Why would this be, if the first reply stated that once you get a good signal, you should receive ALL from that satellite?"
[/I]
If you have an incorrect LO setting, BUT manage to find a tp that's active at that setting, things get confusing. If you were to BLINDSCAN at that point, you might have picked up a lot of channels ( but , of course, they would have been at BOGUS tp settings because of the error in setting the LO ) . An auto scan of the satellite would not have gotten the channels because the autoscan would have used the tp frequencies for the correct LO setting.
:)

[/I]
If you have an incorrect LO setting, BUT manage to find a tp that's active at that setting, things get confusing. If you were to BLINDSCAN at that point, you might have picked up a lot of channels ( but , of course, they would have been at BOGUS tp settings because of the error in setting the LO ) . An auto scan of the satellite would not have gotten the channels because the autoscan would have used the tp frequencies for the correct LO setting.
:)

So, should I try and 'blank out' or set my LO to zeros? (so as not to put in an incorrect LO setting), and just set the meter's Freq, H / V, and the 22Khz on?

Thank you.

No. You need to set your LO in the receiver just like Mikey11 says. You shouldn't need to play with your meter as long as you have confirmed that you are indeed seeing your desired satellite.

LNB is listed as EuroStar Japan, ESKD-P8+, Freq 10.7 - 12.75Ghz, LO 9.75 / 10.60Ghz

Thank you for any further information you can assist with from the OP in addition to the requested LNB info.

set your lnb type to standard and set the lnb freq to 10600 and turn the 22khz setting to on

Hillsmi and Mikey,

Mikey, your instructions here are not complete. Notice Hillsmi's LNBF description - LO 9.75 / 10.60Ghz. He has a Universal LNBF so he should NOT set it to standard unless you have a point for just using it for the upper Ku band signals "only". There is nothing wrong with what you stated, but I think that you should clarify your statement better because it is misleading to others and if Hillsmi isn't aware of why you stated this, he may be confused as well.

Hillsmi,

I do not know if you understand the difference between a "standard" and a "universal" LNBF. If you do, then you can simply ignore what I am saying here.

A "standard" linear LNBF has one L.O. or Local Oscillator that runs at a frequency of 10.750 GHz. This LNBF can be used for the majority of the linear FTA satellite signals available to North American consumers.

A "universal" linear LNBF has two (L.O.'s) or Local Oscillators. One that runs at a frequency of 9.750 GHz and one at 10.600 GHz. These L.O.'s will allow you to capture the signals from the LOWER Ku band satellites using the 9.750 GHz L.O. and the standard or upper Ku band using the 10.600 GHz L.O. The universal LNBF's 10.600 GHz L.O. acts just as a "standard" LNBF with a L.O. of 10750 GHz does.

There are some low Ku band satellites available to North America, but they are not really common. So, you will end up using the 10.600 GHz L.O. most often in North America to pull in the upper Ku band signals and applying it just the same as someone who has a "standard" linear LNBF with a L.O. frequency of 10.750 GHz.

In your receiver's menus for the setup of the LNBF parameters, you need to tell the receiver that you have a Universal (9.750/10.600) LNBF or a standard (10.750) LNBF in order for it to work properly. However, you can fool your receiver by telling it that a "universal" LNBF is actually a "standard" LNBF with a L.O. of 10.600 GHz (INSTEAD OF 10.750). The Universal LNBF will then operate the same as a standard LNBF, but you will lose the capability of receiving the lower Ku band signals because you will essentially "turn off" the 9.750 GHz L.O. by following this approach. The 9.750 GHz L.O. is what is used for the low Ku band. This is just fine to do for most consumers in North America because there aren't that many Lo-Ku band signals to be had in the frst place.

If you later desire to go and check out a satellite with low Ku band signals, you will have to reprogram your receiver to tell it that the LNBF is "universal" so that you can use that lower 9.750 GHz L.O. to work with those signals. According to Mikey's instructions, you would essentially be disabling the second (low Ku-band oscillator) within the LNBF and telling your receiver that your LNBF is a standard LNBF with a L.O. frequency of 10.600 GHz instead of the typical 10.750 GHz. This works just fine and there is nothing wrong with doing so, as long as you understand the theory behind it all.

This whole affair may not be applicable to you in full, but let's take a look at an example where it might. Let's say that you have a "universal" LNBF, but your FTA receiver does not have a selection in the menus for a "universal" LNBF. Here, you would select "standard" LNBF and adjust the default L.O. frequency selection from 10.750 to 10.600 GHz and now the tuner operates the same. That is what we need to do to "fool" the receiver into working with a universal LNBF.

Think of it as akin to a speedometer pickoff in your car or truck's transmission. It is calibrated for a specific size tire being on the vehicle. If you put larger or smaller tires on the vehicle, you change the calibration of your speedometer and you need to recalibrate it for the altered tire size so that your speedometer reads correctly. That's all there is to it, really.

RADAR

It seems that you probably have found the correct satellite, but if you want to confirm with your meter, try these settings.
LO:10600
22KHz:ON
Frequency: 12152
Polarity: Horizontal
Symbol Rate: 20000

Once you confirm the satellite on your meter, move on to the receiver (This receiver is quite old and it appears to have been sold in the UK in early 2000 - 2005 , so it will not have a current list of channels and might not even have the correct satellites for North America). You are probably going to have to fly by the seat of your pants on this job! Personally, if the receiver doesn't have North American satellites or Blind Scan, I would suggest that the CX upgrade to a more modern receiver that will make updating and scanning much easier.

You should perform a factory reset on the receiver then set-up the parameters for a satellite @ 97W maybe called T5, IA5, Galaxy25 or now Galaxy19.
Select LNB type Universal (LO 9750 / 10600)
22KHz - AUTO
LNB Power ON (with Polarity Switching)
DiSEqC - OFF

Does the Receiver have Blind Scan mode (often called Power Scan)? If so, use this mode to scan the satellite for all available FTA (Free To Air) channels. The receiver probably does not have a current transponder list and the Blind Scan mode will search the satellite for all current and active transponders then automatically add the new transponders and new channels to the receiver!

If not, check the transponder list and see if the correct parameters are entered for each transponder. If the transponder is incorrect, either enter a new one or edit the old. Enter the frequency, polarity and symbol rate for each desired transponder and perform a scan for FTA (free or not scrambled) channels using a "Transponder (TP) Scan" for each transponder entered or a "Satellite Scan" for FTA channels after all desired transponders are entered.

Good luck! Sounds like an old receiver that I wouldn't want to support! Might suggest upgrading otherwise you run the risk of receiving many telephone support calls and return calls!

It seems that you probably have found the correct satellite, but if you want to confirm with your meter, try these settings.
LO:10600
22KHz:ON
Frequency: 12152
Polarity: Horizontal
Symbol Rate: 20000

Once you confirm the satellite on your meter, move on to the receiver (This receiver is quite old and it appears to have been sold in the UK in early 2000 - 2005 , so it will not have a current list of channels and might not even have the correct satellites for North America). You are probably going to have to fly by the seat of your pants on this job! Personally, if the receiver doesn't have North American satellites or Blind Scan, I would suggest that the CX upgrade to a more modern receiver that will make updating and scanning much easier.

You should perform a factory reset on the receiver then set-up the parameters for a satellite @ 97W maybe called T5, IA5, Galaxy25 or now Galaxy19.
Select LNB type Universal (LO 9750 / 10600)
22KHz - AUTO
LNB Power ON (with Polarity Switching)
DiSEqC - OFF

Does the Receiver have Blind Scan mode (often called Power Scan)? If so, use this mode to scan the satellite for all available FTA (Free To Air) channels. The receiver probably does not have a current transponder list and the Blind Scan mode will search the satellite for all current and active transponders then automatically add the new transponders and new channels to the receiver!

If not, check the transponder list and see if the correct parameters are entered for each transponder. If the transponder is incorrect, either enter a new one or edit the old. Enter the frequency, polarity and symbol rate for each desired transponder and perform a scan for FTA (free or not scrambled) channels using a "Transponder (TP) Scan" for each transponder entered or a "Satellite Scan" for FTA channels after all desired transponders are entered.

Good luck! Sounds like an old receiver that I wouldn't want to support! Might suggest upgrading otherwise you run the risk of receiving many telephone support calls and return calls!

Yes, the receiver did looked aged.

Yes, it does have the option to 'Scan All Channels' and 'Scan All Free'

When selecting the satellite from the list on the left, it gives a list of TP / Freq on the right side, before selecting OK to scan.

At current, the listed 97.0W is in the list, but as Telstar5; no visible G19 or G25

Thank you for your intel / expertise.

I will be revisiting on Monday, and try the above, and the other reply suggestions to obtain what the customer is wanting; as earlier stated, he is from Bahran, and looking for the FTA channels from the Middle East, I assume. He stated that when it was previously connected 4yrs ago before a move, he was getting a lot of channels, but now, after my initial SS of 90s and SQ of 60s +, nothing was coming in.

Hillsmi and Mikey,

Mikey, your instructions here are not complete. Notice Hillsmi's LNBF description - LO 9.75 / 10.60Ghz. He has a Universal LNBF so he should NOT set it to standard unless you have a point for just using it for the upper Ku band signals "only".

i realize he has a universal LNB....but he is wanting 97w so there is no point in using the low band on his LNB....he seems like a newbie so i tried to keep it simple....explaining the reasoning might confuse him even more....

Yes, the receiver did looked aged.

Yes, it does have the option to 'Scan All Channels' and 'Scan All Free'

When selecting the satellite from the list on the left, it gives a list of TP / Freq on the right side, before selecting OK to scan.

At current, the listed 97.0W is in the list, but as Telstar5; no visible G19 or G25

Thank you for your intel / expertise.

Telstar 5 is the spacecraft that was at 97W a few years ago. It has been replaced by Galaxy 19. This happens quite frequently with satellites, which is why the satellite names on an old list can be confusing. The important thing is orbital location (97W).

Look for a setting called "Blind Scan" or "Smart Search". If the receiver has blind scan, it will find the transponder frequencies for you, similar to a radio scanner. If not, you'll have to manually enter the transponders and symbol rates. It is likely that many pre-programmed transponders on a receiver that old are no longer in operation, or have changed. See The List for help there. Due to its age, it is quite probable that your receiver does not have blind scan.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)