Retailer Chat Recap - January 13, 2011

The card they sent me said "FREE for 3 months" and seemed to be tied to having AutoPay already. It also said I'd have to call after the 3 months to CONTINUE the subscription. I called the number and was told the promo had been pushed back, but they'd give me Cinemax free for a month. I said no thanks. They are to send out new letters when the promo takes effect.

If the one-time activation fee of $40 to enable external hard drive support on Dish HD DVRS is going to be waived effective February 1, 2011, is there a monthly fee for external hard drives? If so, how much will it cost a month? What manufacture brand of an external hard drive is recommended for HD DVRS? I may look into getting an external hard drive in the future.

Thanks for the information.
Have a great evening.

The card they sent me said "FREE for 3 months" and seemed to be tied to having AutoPay already. It also said I'd have to call after the 3 months to CONTINUE the subscription. I called the number and was told the promo had been pushed back, but they'd give me Cinemax free for a month. I said no thanks. They are to send out new letters when the promo takes effect.

I think we're talking about different promotions. The free premium package Scott and I are talking about is supposed to be for a YEAR.

In Dish's defense, not that I like defending Dish, I believe that they did say that the free premium channel would be for "most" packages. I guess there must not be a lot of people subscribing to AT250 then? That kind of surprises me, since among other things National Geographic is in AT250 and I thought that that channel was in pretty high demand.

No need to wait for Feb 1. I'm formatting a WD15EARS even as I type this. No pop-up to call Dish, just "Do you want to format your external disk", or some language to that effect.

Edited to add: Good grief! How long does a 1.5TB drive take to get formatted?

Further edited to add: About 15 minutes. It now appears that I formatted my drive, but it won't let me use it until I call to activate. :(

Last edited:
<sigh> Dish drops a fee, and we still dump on them.

<double sigh> And perhaps deservedly so. We'll have to wait and see.

Lol, I didn't mean to sound like I was dumping on them for actually dumping a fee.....

what are they doing for customers like me with the everything package? the AT 250 customers aren't the only ones getting screwed.

I wonder if enough people have paid the $40 upgrade fee to pay for the EHD development? I wonder if that is why the decided to give it free now as a marketing point.

I am glad I didn't jump the gone and add a drive. Now that it will be free I will add one. What is the size restriction? Can I add a 2tb drive? Does it have to be powered or does the receiver give it juice?

Encore, not Starz? Don't we ALREADY get most of the Encore channels with AT250?

i called into dish and talked to a supervisor in billing and called back and talked to a supervisor in tech support and he said the same thing and they both were american :up and he said they would be offering starz or encore free for a year starting february 1st and not catches to getting them:) im going with starz for spartacus gods of the arena before spartacus came into the picture starting up january 21st :) encore sucks:D

i called into dish and talked to a supervisor in billing and called back and talked to a supervisor in tech support and he said the same thing and they both were american :up and he said they would be offering starz or encore free for a year starting february 1st and not catches to getting them:) im going with starz for spartacus gods of the arena before spartacus came into the picture starting up january 21st :) encore sucks:D

So, do we have to call to get the free year deal or is it automatic?

This is just great. :rolleyes: I switched from a 622 to a 922 and paid the $40 EHD fee to get the 40 recordings I had off the 622 only to find out that the 922 doesn't work with an EHD. And now they waive the fee. I'm out $40 and 40 recordings I can't watch. Just lovely. :mad:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)