Retailer Chat Recap - January 13, 2011

I am glad I didn't jump the gone and add a drive. Now that it will be free I will add one. What is the size restriction? Can I add a 2tb drive? Does it have to be powered or does the receiver give it juice?
As previously noted, it must be powered by its own power supply. You can use a 2 TB with 722k. I've got a 2 TB hooked up. Based on the math right now, easily about 200 HD movies can fit, I'm looking at around 300 to 320, with 80 movies stored and more than 75% of the disk free.

One small warning. The EHD doesn't "extend" your DVR capacity. The EHD is a storage box. You can watch programming stored on it, but you can not directly record to it. You record on the local DVR drive and then you can choose to move it to the EHD.

So if you want the DVR to record Jack Lemmon movies, and you recorded Some Like it Hot and then placed it on the EHD, if Some Like it Hot comes on again, the DVR will record it, again. That was a disappointment. I thought the EHD would expand my capacity, not simply be a storage hub. I wish there was a bit more communication between the 722k and the EHD about what programming is already stored.

ETA: I still love being able to store that much HD programming however. That is sweet. Did pay the $40 fee... but that is cheaper than buying the recorded movies on Blu-Ray or renting via Ludu... or whatever the name is.

Last edited:
i called into dish and talked to a supervisor in billing and called back and talked to a supervisor in tech support and he said the same thing and they both were american :up and he said they would be offering starz or encore free for a year starting february 1st and not catches to getting them:) im going with starz for spartacus gods of the arena before spartacus came into the picture starting up january 21st :) encore sucks:D
If they do just Encore I am going to be disapointed since there is no Encore movie package. Encore comes as part of the Starz package.

I would however be happy with Stary for a year for free. :)

If they do just Encore I am going to be disapointed since there is no Encore movie package. Encore comes as part of the Starz package.

I would however be happy with Stary for a year for free. :)

I'm in agreement with you Scott. BTW, has there been any confirmation that by dropping the $40.00 EHD fee, Dish isn't going to have a monthly EHD fee? Also, does D* EHD work the same as E*, just a storage unit?

Thanks,
Ghpr13:)

Ok I finally got an answer on the Free Premium deal...

The free offer will be Starz...free for one year; no call in to get it, it's automatic. If you already have Starz...you will get the Encore package (yes there is a separate package). If you already have Starz and Encore...you will get the HD Platinum package free for 12 months. If you already have all three (Starz, Encore & HD Platinum) OR if you have Starz, Encore and SD programming...you will get 6 free PPV coupons on the consumer web site. All of these offers will be automatically added to accounts and at the end of 12 months they will automatically drop off. No calling in to add or to cancel.

And Ghpr13 there will be no monthly charge for EHD. :)

I wonder if the change from HD Platinum to Dish Platinum is to cover for some of the channels lack of HD. They ought to just drop the HD feeds for Centric and Logo and offer them as is, use the HD spots for something else. Now, if there was some channel like that, or something Dish just wanted to throw in w/o an HD feed, they could throw it in platinum, without people saying they're lying about the HD part of the equation.

The free offer will be Starz...free for one year; no call in to get it, it's automatic. If you already have Starz...you will get the Encore package (yes there is a separate package). If you already have Starz and Encore...you will get the HD Platinum package free for 12 months. If you already have all three (Starz, Encore & HD Platinum) OR if you have Starz, Encore and SD programming...you will get 6 free PPV coupons on the consumer web site. All of these offers will be automatically added to accounts and at the end of 12 months they will automatically drop off. No calling in to add or to cancel.

I assume this will not affect those receiving the 3 months free Starz & HD Platinum promo. Would hate to get the encore package free for a year on Feb 1st instead of Starz. I hope the Starz promos overlap.

And Ghpr13 there will be no monthly charge for EHD. :)
Hey Scott , Isn't Starz owned by the Same company that own Directv. Liberty Media.

How does this work?

Where the Hell is my Free Starz Directv?
On May 4, 2009, DirecTV Group Inc. said it would become a part of Liberty's entertainment unit, part of which would then be spun off as a separate company called DirecTV. The rest of the unit would be traded as Liberty Starz. Liberty would increase its share of DirecTV from 48 to 54 percent, with Malone and his family owning 24 percent.

This is just great. :rolleyes: I switched from a 622 to a 922 and paid the $40 EHD fee to get the 40 recordings I had off the 622 only to find out that the 922 doesn't work with an EHD. And now they waive the fee. I'm out $40 and 40 recordings I can't watch. Just lovely. :mad:

The ViP922, I am told, now fully works with EHDs. For a time, I believe it would read but not write to an EHD.

I think we're talking about different promotions. The free premium package Scott and I are talking about is supposed to be for a YEAR....

That would be good. Perhaps they are superceding the 3 month promo with a year long one. Starz would be good, HBO would be great. Encore? Meh! Cinemax? Don't bother.

The ViP922, I am told, now fully works with EHDs. For a time, I believe it would read but not write to an EHD.

Correct, the 922 now works with EHDDs with no issues. You can read from, write to or watch directly from the external drive. You still cannot record directly to the external drive (just like all of the other E* DVRs).

So if you all subscribe to all the premiums then then you get 36.00 dollars of movies for a 60 a year increase
keep the deals coming.
I guess I need to drop to a lower package so i can get some of their gifts

So when they say Starz, do they mean the Starz package or just the main Starz channel?

Why wouldn't you want them? You don't like movies? If you don't like movies than the free Starz deal doesn't do anything for you either I guess? Some people just can't be satisfied.
I could see his point.

A years worth of Progamming vs 6 movies?? Thats $120-$156 vs maybe $50??

Yea thats a slap in the face to high end subscribers.

I could see his point.

A years worth of Progamming vs 6 movies?? Thats $120-$156 vs maybe $50??

Yea thats a slap in the face to high end subscribers.

I agree I sometimes wonder if dish even cares about the high end subscribers. If you have Americas everything PAC then dish is giving you nothing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)