Retailer Chat Recap - July 10, 2008

TurboHD isn't the add ons. TurboHD is HD Only. There are now going to be multiple HD Only options - B/S/G.

Yes, I know. That's why I was comparing one against the other.

And these should include the extra 7 channels, although the math does not appear to add up.

Yes, my point exactly. Why do they bother to put those numbers on there if they may or may not have anything to do with reality?

And I'm not talking about DISH's creative math. I'm saying, they now claim 45 channels in the HD Only. They will be adding 4. That's 49 by their current creative math. Remove the 5 PPV and you get 44. Remove the 7 extra HD channels and you get 42. Remove them both and you get 37.

I got a headache just reading through this thread :)

Need to get some kind of comparison chart of the different packages, which channels are included in what package etc.

Yes, a chart.

Very confusing. I have no idea if I should consider switching to Turbo or what?

okay, i have aep + hd, when these new channels launch will i automatically get the new channels or will i have to switch packages?

This my friend is probably the number one question we all have. What will we keep or lose and what pak??

We will have to wait for a week or two and maybe we will have more answers than questions.

Wait -- am I understanding correctly that the bronze/silver/gold are the add-on packs, replacing essentials and ultimate? I've got AT200 plus the $10 essentials now... so the cheapest I'll walk away from this after August 1 is AT200 plus $25?

Surely I misunderstand.

Yes. Where are you getting the $25?

To boil this down...

People who currently have HD Essentials or HD Ultimate shouldn't see any changes in price.

People have HD Only will have more options, some are cheaper, some more expensive.

The unclear part is whether the package is going up $10 or $20.

Now would be a good time for Dish to have a chat about the chat they just had.:rolleyes:

So Effing typical. They make an announcement, and now we know less.

Turbo include HDNet Movies/MGM/ect?

HBO 2 West or east? Or maybe both?

HBO Latino? Or just SAP for HBO HD?

Starz West? Probably, maybe not.

Encore HD for AT250, or just Starz Package? (I'm betting the latter.)

That's not even including the fact that none of their numbers quite add up.

Here's one maybe someone could answer. Can you get the Welcome pack WITH Turbo? Cause Comedy Central is a major sticking point.

Yes, I know. That's why I was comparing one against the other.

Yes, my point exactly. Why do they bother to put those numbers on there if they may or may not have anything to do with reality?

And I'm not talking about DISH's creative math. I'm saying, they now claim 45 channels in the HD Only. They will be adding 4. That's 49 by their current creative math. Remove the 5 PPV and you get 44. Remove the 7 extra HD channels and you get 42. Remove them both and you get 37.
Yeah sorry, once I re-read I realized you were not saying that TurboHD was the add ons. As far as the math, they have 40 today in HD Only if you dont count the 5 PPV. They're adding 4, so that would be 44 for Turbo Gold. They say Turbo Gold will have 40, so they're either removing 4 current channels, not adding the 4 new ones they announced today, a combination of that, or their 40 is incorrect....geez...

Yes. Where are you getting the $25?

To boil this down...

People who currently have HD Essentials or HD Ultimate shouldn't see any changes in price.

People have HD Only will have more options, some are cheaper, some more expensive.

The unclear part is whether the package is going up $10 or $20.

Excellent, thanks. I thought I saw that the Bronze/Silver/Gold were the new add-on packs, and those start at $25. I guess this is why it's a retailer chat and not really for customer consumption!

What's a bae?

It says 25/33/40 for the add ons (bronze/silver/gold). That doesn't include the extra $10 for the extra 7 HD only channels. (Way to not fix your biggest pricing problem, DISH.)

It ALSO says 25/33/40 for the Turbo packs. So, I'm reading that it doesn't even include the extra 7 channels.

The math is questionable all around, considering they now say 28/33/39. They SHOULD be adding 1 channel to Bronze, 2 to Silver, and 4 to Gold.

Yes it is a typo I apologize, My only point is that I think (but am not sure) that the Turbo prices shown include some base package but I too am unsure.

I also don't see where this room fora surprise next week.

Wait -- am I understanding correctly that the bronze/silver/gold are the add-on packs, replacing essentials and ultimate? I've got AT200 plus the $10 essentials now... so the cheapest I'll walk away from this after August 1 is AT200 plus $25?

Surely I misunderstand.
No, it will still be $10 (not $25) for what was/is currently called the HD Essentials. They're just giving HD Essentials 3 names - Bronze/Silver/Gold. If you want what is currently called HD Ultimate you'll want HD Platinum for another $10 (total of $20), just like the cost is today. The net for adding HD to the AT SD packages is no HD price changes from Essentials/Ultimate, just name changes...

also, they must be adding VS/Golf as one

They've gotta start counting them as one, because they're going to split soon. So when they split, they can either add the second channel and count it as "new". Or they can not carry one of them and say "What are you complaining about, the channel's still there, not our fault they changed the programming."

I have to admit more details are needed, but this appears terrific for me. I cut back from AT250 and 3 boxes to HDOnly and 2 622(?) boxes (using an HD OTA tuner for my locals on the 3rd TV - not used much). I added the $.01 Cinemax and kept my two movie packages. $120 to $60/month, about 2 months ago. The only HD channel I was missing that I wanted that was available on Dish - my RSN. My two movie packages - HBO and Starz. So, it appears I get 18 new HD for $10/month or really, my RSN for $10 more. $70 for 60-65 HD channels. Not sure I can beat that anywhere.

Yeah, actually, I have no personal complaints. If I hadn't just downgraded, I'd be getting all these channels for $0 extra.

However, I just recently talked my father into getting the HD Only package. He had never even had cable before...just analog OTA. He's not going to be happy with a $10 price increase, let alone $20.

The only HD channel I was missing that I wanted that was available on Dish - my RSN. $70 for 60-65 HD channels. Not sure I can beat that anywhere.

+1

I'll wait until the dust settles but this looks great to me.

If you Sign up For Turbo Gold DVR Advantage it's 49.99.
Today That cost is:
HD Only Package $29.99
Locals $5.00
HD Enable $7.00
DVR Service fee $4.60
Total Now $46.59
So the RSN will cost $3.40 which wasn't available before
Total Gold $49.99
It seems a lot of people wanted this (not me) and now it's available

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)