Retailer Chat Recap - July 10, 2008

New or current DISH Network subscribers who commit to DHA-24 will also receive HBO and Starz free for the first three months of their subscription.

I'm looking to add hbo by Aug 1st...can someone explain to me what the above statement means and what I need 2 do to subscribe? thanks in advance

While it sounds awkward, it probably means exactly what it says: if you sign up for HBO and STARZ with a 24 month committment, the first 3 months are free. If it doesn't mean that, then we need a new interpreter.

To subscribe, simply call the Dish Customer Service Representative and explain what you want, mentioning the 3 months free.

Last edited:
Yes. If it were that simple. Obviously it is not.
It is very simple. You run the source programming through an MPEG4 encoder instead of the MPEG2 encoder.

What isn't simple is changing out receivers [careful choice of words] for your existing customers who rely on MPEG2 for their HD programming.

Does anybody know what channels are going to be offered in the new $9.99 basic package Dish Network is going to offer?

Sounds like HD is starting to get rather expensive. Right when I was thinking about getting it now I am having second thoughts. The programming is already high enough as it is WITHOUT HD.

If they eventually get virtually every channel in HD that is available in SD (the HD version of each SD channel) then I would think that you would just pay one fee to see all channels that you have in SD in HD as well or better yet not need the SD version anymore and just downconvert all HD to SD to those that do not have HD televisions.

So I currently have dish DVR advantage AT 200, HD ultimate. This comes out to $77, (49.99 Dish DVR Adv. +$20 HD ultimate +7 leased receiver fee- for a 622) It sounds like with these new Turbo packs that they won't be as cheap as the HD only now, but they will still be cheaper than having the SD as well. I'm not quite sure what the comparable HD only package would be. HD Turbo Silver plus platinum? I think that for giving up the HD, I could probably go HD Turbo Gold plus platinum, and also add 1 premium service like HBO for about what I pay now. Do I have that right?

I talked to a csr sunday and asked about hbo and starz free for 3 months and what I had to do...he said on aug 1st that all I have to do is mention the promotion and will receive the 2 movie channels free for 3 months

For anyone interested the $9.99 welcome pack. The promotion is only available for new Free-for-All customers. The channels include: AMC, Bloomberg, Boomerang, CMT Comedy Central Discovery Kids, Food Network, Hallmark Channel, HGTV, The History Channel, HSN, MSNBC, MTV2, QVC, Oxygen, Shop NBC, TBS, The Weather Channel, TLC, and WE. You can add your locals for $5

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)