Retailer Chat Recap, November 27, 2007

Wow - no new HD news. How surprising. Just the very thing that people are most interested in and asking the most about. Has Echostar lost its collective mind?

:yikes

They push the Pre Paid Dish program (Dish Ya!). Jim don't get it that Pre Paid dont work (unless your a motel in Canada and want to get HBO for your guests) :)

They go on to talk about Dish Commercial and some improvements made to the promotions for the comercial sector.

They then talk about Dish DSL sales. (Yawn)

Now on to Leslie Harper with Tech News! (Best part of the show!)

Leslie explains to us how to hook up a Dish HR receiver to a HDTV (via HDMI or component)

Then she goes in and talks about HDCP, she tells us how later next month we will be able to check if a TV is HDCP compliant by going into the system information screen page two with a HDMI cable, it will display if the TV is HDCP compliant, if yes they are all set, if not then the customer should hook up component cables and can watch the content in an "analog HD resolution"

Leslie explains the 3 HD Tuners in their DVR, its two satellite tuners and one over the air.

And thats it from Leslie...

Jim asks Leslie about HDCP and wants to know if all TVs being sold today have HDCP. The answer is no. However if it has a HDMI connection then chances are good it is HDCP compliant.

The SLingbox Solo is now able to be sold by retailers.

Now on to questions. If there is anything interesting I will report it.

Attachments

• chat24.jpg
    chat24.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 188
  • chat25.jpg
    chat25.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 168
  • chat26.jpg
    chat26.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 158
  • chat27.jpg
    chat27.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 174
  • chat28.jpg
    chat28.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 193
  • chat29.jpg
    chat29.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 229
Wow, well we know that DRM is going to be on the way in. Kinda sad.

It shows hdmi-> DVI as an option. I can do that with my downstairs HDTV, My Sharp Aquos upstairs has HDMI and is connected that way currently.

Does anyone know if the Insignia brand TVs support HDCP over DVI?

Does anyone know if the Insignia brand TVs support HDCP over DVI?

Which model? Probably yes. Look on the back of the set. It usually is printed next to the input. I have a 2003 Toshiba direct view with DVI that has HDCP.

Now I guess when the HDMI output on the 622 fails they MUST replace the unit and can't tell us to switch to component.

You would think they would atleast have a little info. on the "reclaiming bandwith" comment from the last chat. Oh well.

Thats for the recap Scott!

The only good news out of this Retailer Chat is that it looks like that they are still alive over at E* But, then again there is no new news so this good have been a taped months ago :)

I can't believe that after all of this they have the nuts to say "HD that's out of this World" (from the marketing screen shot). I'm starting to think that the folks at Dish are on crack! And bad crack at that.....

Remember they ARE out of this world... (Well I mile higher in the air then we are) at Dish. :)

No interesting questions, although one retailer said he did not like the popups that show on your screen when you press the TV button on the remote. :D I wish they would let us shut that off.

Which model? Probably yes. Look on the back of the set. It usually is printed next to the input. I have a 2003 Toshiba direct view with DVI that has HDCP.

Now I guess when the HDMI output on the 622 fails they MUST replace the unit and can't tell us to switch to component.

Model
NS-LCD27FS

Dish is obviously moving things on its sats. I know they sent out something to the retailers about a month ago, so why not keep them updated on the situation?? They make a comment last month about adding more hd in the future and reclaiming bandwith. Today, nothing. I could kick my dog.:D

This retailer chat looks like it was recorded a couple of months ago. Does anybody know if they still have people at Echostar headquarters because it sure looks like nobody is there. :(

No interesting questions, although one retailer said he did not like the popups that show on your screen when you press the TV button on the remote. :D I wish they would let us shut that off.
They said they're going to add an enable/disable option for that already. Add this feature (the pop-up) to the list of "make it so that idiots can operate our equipment" enhancements.

Dish HD is turning into the likes of the TV series Lost. We will probably all find out what really happens when we are on the other side. The DirecTV-side!!!

Scott, thanks for the information.

This link shows an HDMI input: Insignia :: All about affordable and well designed technology - Insignia 27" Widescreen LCD HDTV No mention of HDCP in the user's manual. Curious.

that link covers 2 models. I can personaly guarantee that mine does not have HDMI in.

Has component, DVI, VGA, and 2 composite inputs as well as a svideo input, but 0 HDMI in.

My Sharp does have 1 HDMI in (have a switch box from monoprice so I can have my Receiver and xbox 360 both hooked up to it).

The manual is for the other model. Mine has the power buttons under the screen not on top of them.

This retailer chat looks like it was recorded a couple of months ago. Does anybody know if they still have people at Echostar headquarters because it sure looks like nobody is there. :(

Lights are on, but nobody is home.:confused:

Edit: DJ Rob..you beat me to it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)