Retention? More like rejection!

AMike

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 25, 2010
Metro Atlanta
In another thread, I posted that I have officially cut the cord and transitioning to DirecTV Stream. Of course, having gone down this road before, I knew that a retention agent would try to contact me to entice me to stay. They called 4 times today and I finally answered the last call.

The agent gave me the usual lines about we don't want to lose you as a customer, etc. I asked her, what can you do for me since I am a Premier subscriber with all of the add on sports packages. She said, let me figure this out. She told me that the discount they could offer me was $5.00 in a gift card! WTH! I laughed and said you have to be kidding me.

She then started offering me free Sunday Ticket Max. Then she wanted to downgrade all of my packages which I was not interested in doing! The savings she was offering was only for Sunday Ticket, but nothing else.

If this is an attempt at retention, then I am not staying!

Reactions: dlma1
In another thread, I posted that I have officially cut the cord and transitioning to DirecTV Stream. Of course, having gone down this road before, I knew that a retention agent would try to contact me to entice me to stay. They called 4 times today and I finally answered the last call.

The agent gave me the usual lines about we don't want to lose you as a customer, etc. I asked her, what can you do for me since I am a Premier subscriber with all of the add on sports packages. She said, let me figure this out. She told me that the discount they could offer me was $5.00 in a gift card! WTH! I laughed and said you have to be kidding me.

She then started offering me free Sunday Ticket Max. Then she wanted to downgrade all of my packages which I was not interested in doing! The savings she was offering was only for Sunday Ticket, but nothing else.

If this is an attempt at retention, then I am not staying!
I was told to call in the end of August if you want discounts on the Sunday ticket!!!! Lol don't quote me on it!!!

I think they just want as many people as possible to switch to DirecTv stream. I wasn’t happy with their streaming service, YouTube tv for me was better. Just the whole guide and changing channels was smooth and much quicker than DirecTv.

Sunday Ticket wasn’t enough for me to stay. Just the amount of savings I see streaming vs traditional satellite is huge.

I think they just want as many people as possible to switch to DirecTv stream. I wasn’t happy with their streaming service, YouTube tv for me was better. Just the whole guide and changing channels was smooth and much quicker than DirecTv.

Sunday Ticket wasn’t enough for me to stay. Just the amount of savings I see streaming vs traditional satellite is huge.

I don't see how streaming could be cheaper when you factor in having to get a unlimited internet connection for streaming to work. Not everyone needs home internet especially when many use their cell phones (and cellular connected tablets) for their internet needs these days.

Reactions: AZ.
I don't see how streaming could be cheaper when you factor in having to get a unlimited internet connection for streaming to work. Not everyone needs home internet especially when many use their cell phones (and cellular connected tablets) for their internet needs these days.

It doesn’t make sense to include the cost of internet to streaming. Majority of people already have home internet. I personally don’t know one person who does not have broadband at home.

I think they want to bleed the customers dry and sell the assets for pennies on the dollar. That's the way most of these deals go.

It doesn’t make sense to include the cost of internet to streaming. Majority of people already have home internet. I personally don’t know one person who does not have broadband at home.
The really young childless couples with no computer that use their phone's for internet and the elderly that don't use the internet or uses their phones.

I had a neighbor couple in their 40's that didn't have internet "Everything we need to do online we do on our phones" they said...

• Haha
Reactions: HardDriver
However, how many already have UNLIMITED Internet ?
Thats where you have to add cost for internet .... for me, it's an addl $30 right off the top thats added so I can stream ...

If I am going to watch the TV I want the best picture available, so yes, unlimited is required.

Thats where you have to add cost for internet .... for me, it's an addl $30 right off the top thats added so I can stream ...

If I am going to watch the TV I want the best picture available, so yes, unlimited is required.
Again, that is you, not everyone.

I have Charter, no data cap, no extra charge.

Comcast, if you get their xFi modem at a $14 a month charge which includes unlimited data
AT&T Fiber, I believe that is unlimited,
Verizon, no data cap
T-Mobile 5G internet at home, no data cap ( and only $50)
Star Link, no data cap, which is great for rural folks that want more options for TV programming.
Wide Open West (WOW) no data cap

The only major provider I can find that has a real data cap is Cox, then you pay $30 to get unlimited.

Again, that is you, not everyone.

I have Charter, no data cap, no extra charge.

Comcast, if you get their xFi modem at a $14 a month charge which includes unlimited data
AT&T Fiber, I believe that is unlimited,
Verizon, no data cap
T-Mobile 5G internet at home, no data cap ( and only $50)
Star Link, no data cap, which is great for rural folks that want more options for TV programming.
Wide Open West (WOW) no data cap

The only major provider I can find that has a real data cap is Cox, then you pay $30 to get unlimited.
So, you need a special modem for Comcast which cost you More money to get unlimited .... thats an addl cost.
ATT is also already added in.
Verizon I'm not sure of .... Not an option here anyways.
T Mobile Is available, I don't want it.
Star Link I can't afford $500 for equipment to see IF it happens to work and its not available anyways.
WOW, also Not Available.

If you have ALL those options, your a Lucky person, 99% of people have an 1 or maybe 2 options.

So, you need a special modem for Comcast which cost you More money to get unlimited .... thats an addl cost.
A modem rental from a provider typically runs about $10 a month, a extra 4.95 is well worth it for unlimited, which is a lot less then your $30 example.
ATT is also already added in.
What do you mean added in?
I just looked at their pricing, 300 is $55, 500 is $65 and 1G is $80, darn good pricing for unlimited.
Verizon I'm not sure of .... Not an option here anyways.
Me either, but they do have 6.5 million that get their broadband with unlimited data.
T Mobile Is available, I don't want it.
Why?
Seems like a great deal at $50 for roughly over 200-up speeds and no data cap.
Star Link I can't afford $500 for equipment to see IF it happens to work and its not available anyways.
I have read many a great review about it, but it is for those who have little to no options.
WOW, also Not Available.
Again, NA for me also, just pointing out there are many options without data caps nationwide, what you have available is not the same for everyone.
If you have ALL those options, your a Lucky person, 99% of people have an 1 or maybe 2 options.
My options are Charter, T-Mobile, Star Link ( which I own for a back up service, just not hooked up yet because of dealing with other things) and they just put the lines in the ground for AT&T Fiber in my subdivision, so I assume I will be getting things in the mail or at my door for the service in the next few months.

Reactions: longhorn23
A modem rental from a provider typically runs about $10 a month, a extra 4.95 is well worth it for unlimited, which is a lot less then your $30 example.

What do you mean added in?
I just looked at their pricing, 300 is $55, 500 is $65 and 1G is $80, darn good pricing for unlimited.

Me either, but they do have 6.5 million that get their broadband with unlimited data.

Why?
Seems like a great deal at $50 for roughly over 200-up speeds and no data cap.

I have read many a great review about it, but it is for those who have little to no options.

Again, NA for me also, just pointing out there are many options without data caps nationwide, what you have available is not the same for everyone.

My options are Charter, T-Mobile, Star Link ( which I own for a back up service, just not hooked up yet because of dealing with other things) and they just put the lines in the ground for AT&T Fiber in my subdivision, so I assume I will be getting things in the mail or at my door for the service in the next few months.
T Mobile is NO where near 200 around here.
Other areas may do better, but its not available everywhere .
My neighbor had it here for about a year ... 5o mpps was the best they could get.

In general, Modem should NOT have a charge on them ... to me thats stealing ...

I had service with the local service, they gave me a modem, it was free (2010), 3 years later, using the same modem, I was being charged $5 p/m (everyone was, not just me) a few years later, they started charging $10 p/m for that SAME Free modem ....
No they would not comp it.

It must be nice to have all those options.

Fwiw, the local guys finally got thier Fiber up and running ... NO MODEM FEES.
Unlimited Data
For the next year, I pay $2 Less than I was for Cable Internet for Fiber.
I'm happy till the year is up.

Unlimited will not give you better PQ.

Nor do I believe it is necessary for most people that stream live tv. My current (soon to be previous) gig cable service comes with a 1.5TB cap before overages, and I dont think we have ever gone over in our three person home with streaming only.

Now there are obviously ways to go over a cap, and some caps are lower, but even when ours was 1tb, that was enough for our general use.

Edit: this is streaming the majority of our stuff in 4k, and the VAST majority of what I personally watch in 4K HDR. So we are watching the best streams available for the content we view.

Unlimited will not give you better PQ.

Nor do I believe it is necessary for most people that stream live tv. My current (soon to be previous) gig cable service comes with a 1.5TB cap before overages, and I dont think we have ever gone over in our three person home with streaming only.

Now there are obviously ways to go over a cap, and some caps are lower, but even when ours was 1tb, that was enough for our general use.

Edit: this is streaming the majority of our stuff in 4k, and the VAST majority of what I personally watch in 4K HDR. So we are watching the best streams available for the content we view.
Yes ... Unlimited has nothing to do with your Picture Quality ... I understand what your saying ...
However, before I was able to get Fiber now (same company, only internet available here) my overages started at 250, I CAN hit that quite often if I am into any series that I am binge watching ...