RETIRING FROM F.T.A. IN THE TWIN CITY AREA....FREE DISH, ETC.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sikma

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 7, 2005
Dish Farm Up North
DSC00101.JPGDSC00103.JPGDSC00107.JPGDSC00099.JPGLocated 50 miles NE of Minneapolis and retiring from the FTA hobby and have the following to give away for free (just took it down a few minutes ago)

ChannelMaster 1.2M offset dish with ku lnbf. 24" actuator. Polar mount originally connected to a 10' mesh dish, but I did "the old jimmy-rig" with a piece of plywood then attached it to the 1.2M worked dandy. Also have a General Instruments 450i which is what I used for analog ku as well as running the acutator and it even has the 'anywhere' remote with it. Another General Instruments receiver with a seperate power supply that would run the actuator. See attached pics.

Please PM me if you want ALL of these items for FREE (as long as you pick them up at their current location)............they need a good home instead of a landfill.

I'd almost go there for a 1.2m dish , haha! Nice haul for someone....sorry to hear sikma is giving up his hobby.

That's a sweet dish, thanks to Sikma for passing it along. :cool:

Did it track much of the arc? I had been dreaming up doing up something similar (putting an offset dish on a linear polar mount), but thought the dish needed to be tilted down the offset angle + declination angle? :confused:

Polar mounts have the declination adjustment as part of the mount (though I am trying to see the declination adjustment on this mount). Maybe that is why the op drilled new pilot holes in the top support?

Set the Declination Angle based on your installation location then adjust the elevation angle to compensate for the offset dish angle (Offset Angle + Declination Angle + Polar Elevation setting = the Actual Satellite Elevation Angle). The dish will track the arc in the same path whether prime focus or offset design.

Last edited:
Polar mounts have the declination adjustment as part of the mount (though I am trying to see the declination adjustment on this mount). Maybe that is why the op drilled new pilot holes in the top support?

Set the Declination Angle based on your installation location then adjust the elevation angle to compensate for the offset dish angle (Offset Angle + Declination Angle + Polar Elevation setting = the Actual Satellite Elevation Angle). The dish will track the arc in the same path whether prime focus or offset design.
Good info! I've been wanting to motorize a 1.2m offset using this method. :D:up

Looks a lot like my 'ku dish on c-band polar mount' project from 3yrs or so back, that thing is STILL tracking perfectly. And that sanford and sons actuator made from parts of different actuators still drives it too lol. I would have bet money it would've broken down way before this long. I still use it more than my motorized H-H dish setup, my General Instrument 550 IRD just keeps humming.

That's a sweet dish, thanks to Sikma for passing it along. :cool:

Did it track much of the arc? I had been dreaming up doing up something similar (putting an offset dish on a linear polar mount), but thought the dish needed to be tilted down the offset angle + declination angle? :confused:
Actually, the mount was made with 3 pilot holes to set the declination agle. The only tricky part was setting the elevation low enough, as you can see the elevation bolt was almost too short and I just had enough threads out the bottom to put on the nut. The dish tracked perfectly from 72-105 degrees. Because of tree issues I couldn't go east or west of those limits, however I got great signal strength on all the sats. within those limits. Sorry Disco that Ice beat you to this stuff, but maybe he'll have a guilty conscience when he gets the 1.2 home...............and you guys can work out a deal.

Damn, that dish would have been an apt replacement for my Fortec 1.2m! And only a 50 mile drive. I'm glad it's going to someone who has helped this hobby beyond measure! Congrats, Ice!

Actually, the mount was made with 3 pilot holes to set the declination agle. The only tricky part was setting the elevation low enough, as you can see the elevation bolt was almost too short and I just had enough threads out the bottom to put on the nut. The dish tracked perfectly from 72-105 degrees. Because of tree issues I couldn't go east or west of those limits, however I got great signal strength on all the sats. within those limits......

I thought there should be a bigger angle between the dish and the mounting ring, and that the main elevation bar of the polar mount had to remain at an angle basically equal to your latitude to track the arc.....but if it worked, it worked! :)

Probably worked because it's only tracking 30 degrees of the arc. Polar pivot has to be parallel to the earths poles(+ a smidge for the Modified angle) otherwise, it's not "polar".

I'll basically be upgrading my 36" dish to the 1.2m dish....or maybe slap a C-Band LNB on it

dont know yet...still have to go pick it up :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts