Returning Customer wanting to use Original Equipment w/ New Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bryant

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 7, 2004
Hi all. A couple years ago I canceled DirecTV as we had to move into an apartment facing north. We now have a house, and my Time Warner commitment is over.

I've already called DirecTV and have a deal I am reasonably happy with. I have an installer scheduled to come out next weekend. I'm very happy with the monthly price, just a little stumped on using my old equipment. What I have setup with them to do now is use one of my existing DirecTivo DVR's, have the installer bring a new dish, multswitch, etc, and a new regular DirecTV receiver that will be leased.

I installed my old 3 LNB dish and it is only picking up even transponders, so I need them to bring me out a new dish. The dish is all I want from them. I don't need any new receivers. I would rather put a second DirecTivo I have in the bedroom than a regular new leased receiver.

This is where my question comes in. Can they not provide the installation of the dish and hook up the old receivers only? The two reps I have tried said I needed to take at least one new receiver. I offered to sign a 12 month term, same as if they give me leased equipment anyway. If anything it is better for them as they don't need to provide me with another receiver and I will be paying them the same amount of money either way we do it!

I'm just curious is anybody else has suggestions and what others think! Thanks!

Last edited:
Personally, I would go with the new rec.'s they would be offering, the technology is much newer....
Some day soon all programming will change over to the new mpeg4 format and you will have to change or you will no longer get any signal.
Don't worry, it probably won't be for a year or two, but it will happen.

Normally D* doesn't allow you to re authorize rec's, unless you have a new on on your account. For example, your going to show as an existing sub, not a new sub, then once you get a new rec on your account D* will allow you to use as many old rec's you may need. Don't know why, thats just the way they do it. Sooner or later you'll need new rec's.

Jimbo

Thanks for the info Jimbo.

I just want to be clear. You did say all programming, so I assume that would be everything D* broadcasts. But, is the mpeg4 transition going to be for HD and SD or just HD?

The reason I ask is although I do have the 3LNB dish, I don't have HD. That dish was just included with the kit I purchased at Best Buy several years back. It came with one SD Tivo and one SD regular receiver.

Thanks for the info Jimbo.

I just want to be clear. You did say all programming, so I assume that would be everything D* broadcasts. But, is the mpeg4 transition going to be for HD and SD or just HD?

The reason I ask is although I do have the 3LNB dish, I don't have HD. That dish was just included with the kit I purchased at Best Buy several years back. It came with one SD Tivo and one SD regular receiver.

For the foreseeable future sd will be mpeg2, but all hd will be mpeg4 at some point, maybe in a year or two (my guess).

Because MPEG4 allows more compression eventually even SD will become MPEG4. If you can get the installer to give you dual cables you can connect both TiVos and just keep the new receiver active on the account for the 12 months of the contract then return it and keep your account and active TiVos.

Thanks guys! I am going to just leave my order as it stands and lease a new receiver from them for the year.

Even Transponders Only

I am curious about the even transponders only: I am having the exact same problem. I have installed a larger round dish for better signal strength. My signal for most even transponders is pretty good now (75+) .. except for the spot transmissions that are zero.

However, I get no signal at all on any of the odd number transponders. I have tried two different "dual LNB" units. The first has the following markings
ROC
Model: 785A
RF:12.20/12.70GHx Gain: 55db
IF:950/1450MHz
LO:11.25GHz

As a result my setup claims "no satellite found" although I can see lots of channels with Live TV and the Guide information is correct.

Do I need a different Dual LNB? A different large dish? Any suggestions?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts