Reverted back

Wow kind of interesting hearing it reverted back, I am told it's not supposed to do that only thing I can think of is your receivers were scheduled to get the updates software with the old interface.

Could be. But the question is, now that the ability to download a four month old, buggy, incomplete version of the new UI is out in the wild, why would they want *paying* customers to use it? Especially since employees are testing a much later candidate for release version? I know I wouldn't. At the very least, they would make sure those customers had that latest version, but most likely they'd prefer to have them all back on the old UI.

Wow kind of interesting hearing it reverted back, I am told it's not supposed to do that only thing I can think of is your receivers were scheduled to get the updates software with the old interface.
Was this subforum's life the shortest you've ever needed? ;)

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

I was recording stuff on my hopper so mine stayed with the new guide while the other hopper reverted back to the old

both my H2's are back to 529 as well, interesting because one was on 528 before - it always takes 2 more weeks to get the latest version on that Hopper. WJ is still working OK on beta Carbon UI, it didn't revert back - yet.

That was an old version we got they said.

The thing I don't understand is why they would allow us to test an old version of the new UI. What good would our comments and suggestions be regarding problems that may already have been solved by newer versions of the new UI?

I was going to give it a try last night, but someone cautioned me that there is no way to access the content on my EHD with this old build. And, since I transferred all my recordings to the EHD, I figured I'd better steer clear of it. I had really been looking forward to the new UI, but now I'm not so sure. LOL

And, for whatever it is worth, my HWS is still working on S528. It shut down to seek updates THREE TIMES within an hour last night and had done it a 4th time before I got up today.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Hopper back to old version as well, Wireless Joey still rocking the Carbon. It was fun while it lasted, but last night I could really begin to see this build is not ready for Prime Time (anytime). HA.

Reactions: peggy97850
The thing I don't understand is why they would allow us to test an old version of the new UI. What good would our comments and suggestions be regarding problems that may already have been solved by newer versions of the new UI?

I was going to give it a try last night, but someone cautioned me that there is no way to access the content on my EHD with this old build. And, since I transferred all my recordings to the EHD, I figured I'd better steer clear of it. I had really been looking forward to the new UI, but now I'm not so sure. LOL

And, for whatever it is worth, my HWS is still working on S528. It shut down to seek updates THREE TIMES within an hour last night and had done it a 4th time before I got up today.

I don't think it was an intended beta per say. I think someone figured it out or posted it just for the heck of it and it spread. Scott was trying to shield us and moderate it for awhile.

Reactions: Hall
Yeap, clearly Dish wasn't happy about this happening. Thing is, did all of the normal employees who were told how to do this months ago for testing and getting familiar, lose the UI as well ?

It's too bad that more of the posters here can't try the current version & give comments/suggestions before the final release, most are way more knowledgeable than many of the Dish employees that get to test it; at least we use it everyday & understand how it's supposed to work. :)

YEAAAAA! Mine reverted to S529 (was 528 prior to the CUI) at 8:11am this morning. And my HwS is faster. Don't know if the CUI was slower, but things are really moving around now more so than in 528 and CUI. Just hope the blackouts and "mini" lock ups are gone? The CUI was fun to play with, but it was far from ready for prime time. I was afraid that my other HwS would go CUI which would be a disaster in my household. Now I am severely interested in what the CUI will finally be . . . "I have tasted the nectar of the beast and am now addicted."

I was going to suggest to Scott that he make two new threads for this in the CUI forum labeled "Pros" & "Cons" to cover what we would find that really doesn't fit or would get lost in the other threads. But I digress. Then when it does come out, that might be a good idea?

Most any firmware driven devices can be reverted. Especially if the speculation of how the CUI update was accomplished on the hard drive. Reversion is usually "politically" denied, although physically possible. Look at what people are doing with routers, oh and my Blu-ray I have ping ponged FW's to test and accommodate certain modes of operation.

. . . But the question is, now that the ability to download a four month old, buggy, incomplete version of the new UI is out in the wild, why would they want *paying* customers to use it? Especially since employees are testing a much later candidate for release version? I know I wouldn't. At the very least, they would make sure those customers had that latest version, but most likely they'd prefer to have them all back on the old UI.
Exactly what I was thinking yesterday when more info was made available. Especially when it was being said that DISH would not support anyone that updated. DISH had to know that with all us Nerd/Geeks out here, someone would find it and it would go viral. Why would they leave it there and still make it accessible?

Wonder if/when they will remove it from the Wireless Joeys? Tried reset, unplug, etc. & it's not reverting to previous software - does not show guide but can access menu & dvr recordings.

It's too bad that more of the posters here can't try the current version & give comments/suggestions before the final release, most are way more knowledgeable than many of the Dish employees that get to test it; at least we use it everyday & understand how it's supposed to work. :)
There is no doubt members here using the new UI as part of Dish's test group.

OK, did all this brew ha ha happen just because some sole employee went off the res did something he should not have?

Yeap, clearly Dish wasn't happy about this happening. Thing is, did all of the normal employees who were told how to do this months ago for testing and getting familiar, lose the UI as well ?
No I talked with DISH yesterday about it and they were OK with it, but wanted me to add a warning to it letting you guys know you were doing it at your own risk.

It would be interesting to see someone update to Carbon again and see tonight if it reverts.

Reactions: SandFarmer
I tried last night and it started to go through it's gyrations - didn't touch anything once it started. So I went to :sleepy and was greeted with the same old ui this morning. Giving it one more shot.

Second time, no charm - Still the same ui - maybe disconnect the joeys?

No I talked with DISH yesterday about it and they were OK with it, but wanted me to add a warning to it letting you guys know you were doing it at your own risk.

It would be interesting to see someone update to Carbon again and see tonight if it reverts.
I've done it twice I get the download now or later hit now it goes through the nightly download thing and then screen saver update guide thing....

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)