Review: AT&T U-VERSE

Privacy Concern?

I was wondering, in the TOS for the service is there anything abour privacy? Since the STB in the home needs to communicate back to the VRAD what channel you want to view/record, if AT&T wanted toif they're not doing so already, could collect viewing information.

I was wondering, in the TOS for the service is there anything abour privacy? Since the STB in the home needs to communicate back to the VRAD what channel you want to view/record, if AT&T wanted toif they're not doing so already, could collect viewing information.

Tivo has been doing that for years, but they claim that it's only used to gather statistical information and they don't collect information about which user was watching which channels.

Want an idea how detailed Tivo's collection is? They can even get information about where you pause or replay particular shows. Remember the Janet Jackson Super Bowl wardrobe malfunction? A few days after that, there was information out from Tivo that reported the percentage of users who paused and replayed that scene.

Tivo lashed back against the privacy critics with their claim that no personally identifiable information is gathered. Similar to how Microsoft claims the same thing every time you link up to get your updates.

Tivo has been doing that for years, but they claim that it's only used to gather statistical information and they don't collect information about which user was watching which channels.

Yep, they let you know this and you can opt out of the process. But has AT&T said anything about it for their service? With D* and E* if you want to make sure you can just not plug the STB into the phone or network but you can't do that with UVerse since the STB must have two way communications back to the VRAD. Just trying to brign it up for discussion since some folks don't want providers to know their viewing habits.

Whats interesting is when you sign up they give you a laptop to read and sign the user agreement, of course they all sit and stare at you as they wait for you to sign it.

You only get a few lines into it before you go ahead and sign it, but I dont remember being given a copy of what I signed, nor is there a copy of the user agreement on the uverse website.

So I dont have that answer to your question RAD.

Whats interesting is when you sign up they give you a laptop to read and sign the user agreement, of course they all sit and stare at you as they wait for you to sign it.

You only get a few lines into it before you go ahead and sign it, but I dont remember being given a copy of what I signed, nor is there a copy of the user agreement on the uverse website.

So I dont have that answer to your question RAD.

Interesting point. I'm getting installed on Tuesday and I'll keep that in mind. Maybe I'll see if I can't find a URL to the document they are showing me, or let him dump it to my printer. Either way, if I can find anything that can be made into a soft copy, I'll see if I can't post it.

Ahh excellent find!

I dont see anything in there about them using or not using viewer habbits of their customers.

What about:

Definition:Usage Information. Means information about how you use the AT&T Yahoo! sites (e.g., IP address, the Web page from which you entered our site, pages you view, how much time you spend on each page, the links you click and other actions taken) when using your AT&T Yahoo! Services. Usage Information means information about viewing, game, recording, and other navigation choices that you and those in your household make when using Homezone or AT&T U-verse TV Services.

How we use it:Usage Information. AT&T uses Usage Information to personalize your Services, to recommend content, and to select advertisements or other promotions for you based upon your interests. Your AT&T U-verse TV equipment uses Usage Information to provide, tune and record content.

Sounds like they collect it but keep it inhouse.

Scott, if you've had a full bill by now, could you give us a full breakdown of your package etc and all the hidden fees and taxes. This would be really useful to understand the total cost picture when comparing with cable/sat

Thanks

No they do not. To me this is a major issue. We have all this great technology but we dont have such basic features of PPV and Live PPV events.

Plus you can't watch HD on more than one TV. It shouldn't be limited at all.

Scott, if you've had a full bill by now, could you give us a full breakdown of your package etc and all the hidden fees and taxes. This would be really useful to understand the total cost picture when comparing with cable/sat

Thanks
I do not have a bill yet as I am on the two months free promotion. :)

I aa going to try to get a review online this week of Uverse's Remote DVR programming feature.

a Few Questions about ATT U-Verse

I have a few questions

Im alittle confused! it says you can have 4 "Units/Streams" per house. Currently they give 3 free with service, 1 being a dvr!

My question! The DVR can record 4 shows at a time! Does this mean im using those 4 streams and NO one else in the house can watch TV while im recording?

Say all each of us has our own tv with box. if we are all watching TV, does that mean I cant RECORD a 2nd show on my box?

I just dont want to get this service to only realize that because im recording shows, others cant watch tv!

Also, if all 4 tvs are on and being watched! how fast will my internet be, do they AFFECT eachother? or is the internet on a seperate signal/line!

OK, here we go. I've just joined and, rather than page through 14 pages of what I'm sure is interesting stuff (I'll get to it), I've got a question about the hardware. I've had Uverse for 3 days now and I'm not exactly thrilled with the picture. I'm still pre-HDTV and I find that the picture breaks up quite a bit. The installer said I might experience some "blocking" on the local channels, though I find it across the whole spectrum of channels. Occasionally, while it's breaking up, I'll hear a rather noticable chirp or screech. It seems to be coming from the receiver and I'd think it was a problem with the hard drive but it also does it on the non-DVR receiver. Any thoughts, answers, question?

Is your receiver hooked up via coax or ethernet cable? If its hooked up via coax, try hooking it up via ethernet cable.

I had this problem and by switching to ethernet the problem went away except for an occational hickup every now and then

While UVERSE is cool, its still not ready for primetime.

Just rmember that this was just released! and now that the PUBLIC is using it, all the bells nad whistles will come out and att will find ways to fix them and repair them! and maybe they will realize that the bandwith currently alotted is not enough and they need a BAndwith increase NOW rather then end '07

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts