Review: AT&T U-VERSE

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Uverse Install Fw Texas

Just had Uverse Installed and Am impressed with the service so Far. It has only been a few hours but The Standard Definition Picture is very Good. The HD is Good not the best Ive seen but its still a good picture overall.Some Channels are better than others( I also saw this with Dish). I was scared from most of the posts about the service but the picture so far on my 3 TV's is pretty Good 2 SD/ 1 HD. The only thing the DVR and Guide's do move a little slow. I think thats a Software issue. I will try and post later as the service continues. Overall pretty happy and Pictures do look better or even with Dish Network....

If its in your area I would get it. There is nothing to lose.

Other than problems with instillation and DVR initially, I have had no problems with the service. it works great. I also like the ability to program the dvr from the internet.

Well it looks like extra HD stream by the end of the year may not happen. This is according to Eric Carey Vice President - Advanced Network Technologies for AT&T UVERSE.

They will be offering a 2HD 2SD package at the "back end of this year or early next year". "3HD streams later in 2008" "The current load of the HD stream in the current first generation encoders are about 8.5 MB in the processing of QA and releasing next generation encoders which with lower it to 6 to 6.5MB with better quality.

http://www.uverseusers.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,2/topic,1487.0/

WOW.. I'm glad I found this (and other) sites for the real scoop on AT&T's deal, or non-deal as the case may be.

I'm in far N. Dallas and they have had reps banging doors around in the hood for 3 or 4 days now. Initially I listened to the pitch, then had a ton of questions for the highly UNtrained rep pitching the deal and is 'scheduled' to return later this evening.

I was skeptical at the get-go, but now, even though it would save me around $80 per month between Dish Network and Local phone/DSL (1.5), the headache is simply not worth it.

Sort of went thru the same growing pains when Dish introduced the massive HD platform and satellitte changes, problems on dishe antennae's, moving locations around, endless initial problems with the VIP622, things have settled down significantly since then..

Another GREAT informative place for folks to come read for themselves. While I'm sure I could adapt with the growing pains with Uverse, the rest of the 'women' in house don't understand this technical crap...so they resist any change. Was a good 6 months before happy with Dish after relearning from Cable.

UVERSE - Not for me...at least not yet. Lack of FTTH killed it, among other things. - no dual HD, outages....but MOST - As long as is has anything to do with Microsoft - NO THANKS!.

Scott, I'm in southern CT and just received notice that u-verse is available in my town. I'm presently using Dish with 3 SD tv's. After reading through the many useful posts here, has anyone noticed improvements in the insufficient buffer at the start and end of recordings? Also, can anyone answer if recorded programs must be watched on the DVR and aren't available on the other sets? i.e. I can only watch dvr recordings in 1 room but not the other...

With my DISH credits coming to an end and "full price" looming in the next month or so I am seriously considering this option. I wonder if I could convince the u-verse folks to credit me for the DISH cancellation fee like Cablevision is willing to do... I presently use Cablevision/Optimum for my internet ($49) but the sacrifice in speed doesn't seem worth leaving Optimum.

Does anyone know a way to figure out if Verizon's fios is going to be in my area anytime soon?

Does anyone know a way to figure out if Verizon's fios is going to be in my area anytime soon?

Unless Verizon is your local telephone company I wouldn't count on seeing FIOS in the near and distant future. Verizon has way too many areas in their existing service area before spending money to invade other ILEC's areas.

I've had the U-Verse service since May 1st. I'd have to agree with Scott's review that the SD picture quality is exceptional. When I first got the service, the HD picture quality was not very good.

I believe they made an upgrade to the HD compression software in late August because the picture quality is dramatically improved. I am much happier with the service now with the improved HD picture.

Last edited:
We just got Uverse here in Cleveland. My neighbor signed up right away but that was an easy decision for him since he is coming from cable and only has sd tvs. I currently have Dish and HD and am very happy. I'm attracted by the comparable HD channel lineup, but I'm confused by their website -- it doesn't break down which channels are in which package. The only link I can find that shows channel line-ups just opens a pdf of ALL channels....not which are in which package. Anyone have info?

As a Dish Network service tech, I don't see this as being any worry to satalite service. So far the system has ,(as you said), lots of limitation. And, you are wrong about not being able to record 4 shows at once with Dish hardware. 2 DVR units can record on both tuners at the same time, while you can watch a pre-recorded program on each TV while this is happening. Uverse, is as you said, beta. Many bugs to work out. Bandwidth, being the first, and copper phone lines the next. HD over copper phone lines, ha ha! Glorified Homezone! And just so you know, The vip622, and vip722 are soon to be internet connected!

As a Dish Network service tech, I don't see this as being any worry to satalite service. So far the system has ,(as you said), lots of limitation. And, you are wrong about not being able to record 4 shows at once with Dish hardware. 2 DVR units can record on both tuners at the same time, while you can watch a pre-recorded program on each TV while this is happening. Uverse, is as you said, beta. Many bugs to work out. Bandwidth, being the first, and copper phone lines the next. HD over copper phone lines, ha ha! Glorified Homezone! And just so you know, The vip622, and vip722 are soon to be internet connected!

internet connected? why,for on demand or what?:eureka

U-Verse DVR

With the U-Verse DVR are you able to record a program and watch another program at the same time on the same TV.

internet connected? why,for on demand or what?:eureka
Record an SD channel and view another SD channel ...lets say I am watching a football game on my TV with the DVR (SD) and my wife has scheduled to record a show (SD) during the game I am watching . Will it record as I am viewing the game.

There are lots of at&t trucks in my neighborhood. Two guys are up on the pole in my backyard. I asked what's up and they said at&t was going to roll out U-Verse in my neighborhood soon and they were checking the lines to be sure everything was ok. So I guess I will have the U-Verse option in my neighborhood in San Jose, CA soon.

Scott,
Is AT&T still supporting you? The day I called to order it is the day they stopped taking new orders due to the DPCU, the Attorney Generals office and the Courts. I just hope they all can work it out soon before AT&T pulls all there U-verse equipment and leaves Connecticut. I have a VRAD at the end of my street (about 1/8 of a mile. (Waterbury)
If you still have the service do you like it? If you don't did you like it? I was thinking of the U-200 to start.
Thanks for your input!!!
(Im sorry Ive posted this else ware but it should have been posted here)
Lenny

Hello everyone!

Anyone notice a significant improvement in HD quality within the last week? I have had Uverse for about 7 or 8 months or so. Its OK, but last Sunday the service went out for a few hours. When it came back on, there was an increase in HD picture quality, a new channel lineup, and yahoo interactive game channel, a yellowpages.com channel, and a local/public access channel. Is anyone else experiencing this change too? I live in San Jose, Ca. so maybe not.

Hello everyone!

Anyone notice a significant improvement in HD quality within the last week? I have had Uverse for about 7 or 8 months or so. Its OK, but last Sunday the service went out for a few hours. When it came back on, there was an increase in HD picture quality, a new channel lineup, and yahoo interactive game channel, a yellowpages.com channel, and a local/public access channel. Is anyone else experiencing this change too? I live in San Jose, Ca. so maybe not.

:welcome
First off welcome to SatGuys. I don't have Uverse as it's not available in my area, so I can't answer your question. With that said, not trying to deter you from this site, becuase you wont find a better place for advice about anything you may need, but another site where you can get more info about Uverse is at UverseUsers.com. Good luck and there and lets us know if you need anything else.:)

Last edited:
No improvements yet, however they are expected to be upgrading their HD codec within the next few weeks which will not only save bandwidth, but should look better then the current codec.

...[snip]...I'm attracted by the comparable HD channel lineup, but I'm confused by their website -- it doesn't break down which channels are in which package. The only link I can find that shows channel line-ups just opens a pdf of ALL channels....not which are in which package. Anyone have info?

Go to the main uverse page. Click the Television link. Then click the link on the following page called "Channel Guide: View Channels." It's at the near upper right of the page, next to the photo. It took me a while to find it, and I was LOOKING for it. Here is a link that may or may not work:

https://uverse1.att.com/un/loadSele...ontent?CONTENTID=201&APPID=AMSS&FORMAT=IFRAME

The channels window for some bizarre reason is compressed so it's hard to see the whole thing "at a glance" but you can select the package you want (u100, 200, 300, etc.) or view them all at once. Basically, the diff b/w u100 and 200 looks like music; you get ALL the music channels (70s/80s/90s, jazz, rap, latino, blues, etc.) on 200 vs. only a few basic music channels on the 100 package. 300 and 400 get you into the movie channels and all their permutations, more sports, etc.

Thanks to all and esp. Scott for posting your thoughts on u-verse here. Great site and info.

We're finally getting U-verse in the Austin area. I won't leave Dish HD for U-verse. I wonder if AT&T will let me replace my DSL with U-verse Internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)