Review: AT&T U-VERSE

AT&T will provide an 8 port Netgear 10/100/1000 switch free of charge if you ask, along with 2 USB wireless adapters.

AT&T will provide an 8 port Netgear 10/100/1000 switch free of charge if you ask, along with 2 USB wireless adapters.

Really? Well maybe I should call and request one then. He seen that I had a patch panel with 7 connections. One would have thought that it would have been assumed that I would want all rooms to have data but, maybe not. The installer didn't even want to use my punch panel to connect the RG to my NID. He said a punch panel was no good for signal. He actually wanted to rip the wires off the punch panel and jumper another piece to the twisted pair for the RG. I had to go back and repunch the wires myself after he left. He must have been new. He even used the 3rd pair (green) and not the first pair (blue) for the connection. Oh well. I'll make a call tonight and see what at&t will do.

No go on the free equipment. I called and taked to a supervisor. He said it is the customers responsiblity to provider a switch. I guess I'll just buy one. No biggy.

i got 2- 8 port switches for free during my install last week...
Plus, after the install, the installer did some tests and ordered a new drop for me; not only were they here the next day to give me a new drop, the day after that, the crew was here to bury it!

I'm STILL waiting for Comcrap to come bury their new lines from 2 years ago!!

Well, why won't they give me a switch? I even talked to a supervisor in cusotmer service. He said it was up the installer.

No wonder I didn't get a switch. The installer has never even seen a punch block before and I had have my buddy (works for another phone company) repunch the wires because they had fallen off my punch block.

Where do they get these installers from? I am going to call and demand another installer come out and provide a switch. They need to ground my NID anyway, which the guy forgot to do the first time he was out.

I would call into customer service and say that the install was faulty; he didnt ground the outside properly, and he wouldnt give you a switch to connect all your TV's...

I'm sure they will want to come out asap and check the grounding situation,and I assume if you ask the tech nicely, he would give you the switch..

UVerse HD

Scott

About to switch from DirecTV to UVerse - a decision based on economics alone. My parents have UVerse, and I noticed that their HD channels appear in letterbox format. Are they missing something in settings, or are UVerse HD channels cropped this way?

I would call into customer service and say that the install was faulty; he didnt ground the outside properly, and he wouldnt give you a switch to connect all your TV's...

I'm sure they will want to come out asap and check the grounding situation,and I assume if you ask the tech nicely, he would give you the switch..

I called customer service tonight to tell them my NID needed to be grounded and to kindly request a 8 port switch. The guy had no idea what a NID or switch was. He just tried to sell me on upgrading my internet speed for about 15 minutes. He then pointed out that I was eleg for $140 in rewards for signing up and said he had just processed my reward and that I should be getting a check in the mail very soon.

After declining the internet upgrade offer, I was transfered to tech support. I was told that there would be charge of $35 for a tech to come out. I politely said no and told him that the NID should have been grounded at the time of install. He said someone typically comes out to bury wires a few days after install. He said someone would call me about the switch. I explained that no wires had to be buried. He just brushed it off.

Am I getting the run around? What is the deal? It doesn't sound like they have any idea what I need/want. What do you suggest I do wase?

On a side note...

This looks nice. Uverse internet just got a new plan today.

Max 18 - Up to 18.0 Mbps downstream and up to 1.5 Mbps upstream Starting at $65/month

35d3ghs.jpg

yes, speeds drop off a bit if you have a few tv streams going at once..
@nutflush, you shouldn't bopther asking the CS people about switches; they sit in an office building somewhere, and read from scripts and such..they have no idea what you are talking about..

You need to talk to TECH SUPPORT, tell them you need someone out to ground the system and that you are having other issues; when the tech shows up, ask HIM for the switch, since they are the ones that carry the equipment and parts around...it has NOTHING to do with the people you talk to on the phone.

I just put an online order to upgrade my internet from 10/1.5 to 18/1.5. Should be effective Friday.

Fun!

(now if I could just get them to reduce the voice price from the $40 to the new $30 price, I'd be happy).
Edit: Apparently the system noticed, and reduced the voice to $30, but I lost the bundle discount. Still not bad.
$65/mo 18m/1.5m internet
$30/mo Voice
-$10/mo six month discount.

Last edited:
I had Uverse installed yesterday. The DSL is great. TV is good. I have DirecTV HD as well and prefer DirecTV to Uverse so will end up canceling Uverse TV and keeping DSL for now but, may consider going back to Uverse in the future. Primarily, I just don't want to learn the new channel structure now and DirecTV hasn't let me down in the past to make a change. I signed up for the Elite internet package and am getting amazing speed. I am only about 200 yards from the VRAD though.

My home has CAT5e to every room connected to a patch panel in the basement. The RG (Residential Gateway) has 4 Ethernet outputs. I have 7 rooms. Is there one router that would be recommended over the other to connect my Uverse DSL to every room in the home?

Here is a router I found that I think might work but wanted to ask if anyone had any input before making the purchase.

Here is what my speed looks like with the Elite Uvers DSL plan. Awesome!!

Okay so can you get just Uverse internet. Because I have Dish and LOVE the HD - its better than any I've ever seen. ATT told me I have to get TV and internet can't get just one (Houston). My standard ATT DSL died about a month ago and the line tech told me he can't fix it because of the new Uverse signal on the line. I'm on the edge of being too far from the CO for good DSL signal anyway. I really don't want to go to Uverse TV but I have to have internet and I will NEVER ever give Comcrap another cent. So it's either 3G access or Uverse - I wish I could just do Uverse internet.

I was able to get U-Verse Internet and Phone without the TV. Call 800-288-2020 and ask them to build it for you. I couldn't get the pages to do it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)