Review of Direct HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.
IIRC using the search function do a keyword search for either 30skip or 30slip to select which mode you want. What I don't remember is if you need a CE level for this or if it's in the national release.

I have the HR21. How do you change the 30-sec button to do that?

I am interested in this also.
For the HR20s, you need NR software 0x1EA (which is currently in a staggered rollout - people in CA have reported getting it, but so far not many other places) or one of the newer CE releases. For the HR21, I think it's only in the CE software at this point.

Once you have the correct software, you do a keyword search of 30SKIP to change to the skip function. To go back, you do a keyword search of 30SLIP. Whichever search you do last is the way your advance button will function.

I have both systems-Hr20 and 622. I have been a dish customer for years. Bounced back and fourth between providers.

My take: The 622 and general interface blows everything away. I do not love the Hr20 because its slow and as others have said clunky.

HD programming is another story-

Why did I bring in Direc tv? Their HD programming is simply stellar! Im a hockey fan-specifically the Ny Rangers. Im a transaplanted New Yorker who love Ny sports living in south Florida.

I bought the CI package from Dish. Very little HD content. Then I noticed Direc added CI with Tons of Hockey and MSGHD!

If you want the BEST HD on the market right now-Direc is the answer. PERIOD! They have been very aggressive adding new channels.

Dish is standing still- Im still with them-Because of the 622-its a recoding monster. How long I stay-im still not sure.

A nice thought would be to have the 622 on the direc tv network! That would be something!
Wishful thinking.

It seems most ppl switched do to the programing content.

I love my 722; however the thought having my locals in HD, the YES Network in HD (E* doesn't offer it in SD or HD), and Sabres home games in HD (E* doesn't offer any MSG in HD and that is who broadcast the Bflo games too); will make me serious consider switching to D* after my NHL CI subscription is up in April.

It seems most ppl switched do to the programing content.

I love my 722; however the thought having my locals in HD, the YES Network in HD (E* doesn't offer it in SD or HD), and Sabres home games in HD (E* doesn't offer any MSG in HD and that is who broadcast the Bflo games too); will make me serious consider switching to D* after my NHL CI subscription is up in April.

I'll be in line with you Islandguy. I've moved for now, and get some channels OTA, once spotbeams happen i'll be SOL. I'm sure Buffalo will take a long time to happen, if ever.

I have both systems-Hr20 and 622. I have been a dish customer for years. Bounced back and fourth between providers.

My take: The 622 and general interface blows everything away. I do not love the Hr20 because its slow and as others have said clunky.

HD programming is another story-

Why did I bring in Direc tv? Their HD programming is simply stellar! Im a hockey fan-specifically the Ny Rangers. Im a transaplanted New Yorker who love Ny sports living in south Florida.

I bought the CI package from Dish. Very little HD content. Then I noticed Direc added CI with Tons of Hockey and MSGHD!

If you want the BEST HD on the market right now-Direc is the answer. PERIOD! They have been very aggressive adding new channels.

Dish is standing still- Im still with them-Because of the 622-its a recoding monster. How long I stay-im still not sure.

A nice thought would be to have the 622 on the direc tv network! That would be something!
Wishful thinking.

Speaking of MSGHD, both NESNHD and MSGHD have unsurpassed PQ. I'm not a Ranger fan but I find myself watching their games just to enjoy the HD quality.

Good tip....I'll look into it. When I recorded the Wings last nite I punched up the game in the guide and the only options I saw was to record past the end time by certain intervals. I didn't know about manual recording. The 622 is a bit more streamlined IMO.

Good tip....I'll look into it. When I recorded the Wings last nite I punched up the game in the guide and the only options I saw was to record past the end time by certain intervals. I didn't know about manual recording. The 622 is a bit more streamlined IMO.

To get to it hit the "List" button on the remote to go to your list of recordings, then hit the yellow to do button. On the left side there is a list of options and one of them is "Manual."

There are really only two items that I miss from my 622. One is the ability to block channels so that they are completely gone from movie searches (ie: ppv and duplicate hd channels - like hbo and showtime) and to be able to manipulate the channels that populate the favorite lists by category. The second wouldn't be an issue if they weren't missing a few logical links - for instance if you select Nick-HD (299) as a favorite it SHOULD show up on the Kids and Family subcategory. But these things are minor.

I just got an HR20 last week. One of the things I miss from the HR10 is the ability to search for shows to record only on channels in my favorite channels list. The HR20 lists every upcomming show on every channel, including channels I don't get, PPV and VOD. How annoying!

I just got an HR20 last week. One of the things I miss from the HR10 is the ability to search for shows to record only on channels in my favorite channels list. The HR20 lists every upcomming show on every channel, including channels I don't get, PPV and VOD. How annoying!

I have a saved search on my HR20 to help with this. The text of the keyword search is "HD NNOT PPV" with a category of movies. I like it because it returns all HD movies but no pay-per-views. If only DirecTV would make it so that it grouped titles, I would love it even more.

I believe I read a change to be able to edit "Channels I Receive" is coming.

I have a saved search on my HR20 to help with this. The text of the keyword search is "HD NNOT PPV" with a category of movies. I like it because it returns all HD movies but no pay-per-views. If only DirecTV would make it so that it grouped titles, I would love it even more.

Thank you. If that works it will solve my main issue with the search. is NNOT actually a command? If so is there a list of commands somewhere to make searching more specific? :)

I have the HR21. How do you change the 30-sec button to do that?
Go to the menu and do a keyword search for "30SKIP" and then "all" and "done", I THINK. I did it, but not sure of the menus. "30SLIP" to go back to the way it was.

Thank you. If that works it will solve my main issue with the search. is NNOT actually a command? If so is there a list of commands somewhere to make searching more specific? :)

AAND means to look for both words
AANY means to look for either word
NNOT means to ignore returns with this word in it

You can also use PPV and HD as keywords to look for PPV or HD items (or exclude them). I seem to remember VOD working as well, but I might be wrong there.

My keyword search was either HD NNOT PPV or HD AAND NNOT PPV. It helps a lot

If only something like this would work: HD NNOT PPV NNOT STRETCHED NNOT CRAP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)