Review Of Sky Angel Iptv

hi, i'm a lifetime subsciber for over 10 years the service was great. now i have skyangel iptv and i love it. audio and video is great. color looks good too. on the iptv receiver there is only the on/off switch. if you loose the remote you can't use the receiver. it would be nice to have controls on the box too just in case you loose the remote. whats cool about iptv i have nasa tv :)
god bless
john

Glad its working for you John

The no controls on the front is not the best. I know a lot of FTA boxes are the same way. Power button and maybe channel up/down on it.

Shine

I'm curious how often the buffering kicks in on a one hour show? How long does it take to recover? We have 1.5 service, but in reality only get about 1.25. We live in such a remote area that this is probably as good as the internet will get for a long time.

Thanks

It's odd because my wife can watch programming in the middle of the afternoon, when you think usage would be at peak demand, but she has no problems with the buffering. Myself on the otherhand, can watch a program in the evenings and it can buffer 5-7 times within 10 minutes and then stop for the remainder of the program. There is a buffering bar on the upper right corner that "fills up" as it's buffering and usually the program will pick back up at about 50% of the bar full. Last night I put it to the full test, 1.IPTV on Weather channel 2. desktop computer internet on and 3. laptop on with wireless internet running, (of course logged in to Satelllite Guys). I experienced no buffering during my test of 15 minutes. I have concluded that I would much rather have Christian programming and deal with the buffering than to not have Christian programming at all.

Shine, your buffering issues are probably related to general internet usage through your ISP. Most often, evenings are the heaviest use for non-commercial subscribers.

You might try checking your internet connection speed/health at both times (using one of the free utilities/sites) and see whether you are getting consistently highspeed download capabilities during the afternoon and evening. I'm betting your speed will be lower in the evening when you are getting buffered.

Shine, your buffering issues are probably related to general internet usage through your ISP. Most often, evenings are the heaviest use for non-commercial subscribers.

You might try checking your internet connection speed/health at both times (using one of the free utilities/sites) and see whether you are getting consistently highspeed download capabilities during the afternoon and evening. I'm betting your speed will be lower in the evening when you are getting buffered.

I've ran speed tests pre-IPTV install and usually ran anywhere from 800 to 1400 (.8 to 1.4) but never up to my full 1.5 which is understandable. There are two types of speed tests on the STB one is from the Home screen that will give you the result after 60 seconds and the other is activated by hitting the test button on the remote 3 times while in the home screen. This one actually shows a bar graph which goes up/down thoughout the 60 second test then gives a final result. By running the test from the STB I've averaged from anywhere from 1.2 to 1.4 from the test result. Again, it can be annoying but worth the trouble.

I have concluded that I would much rather have Christian programming and deal with the buffering than to not have Christian programming at all.

I agree! I'll have to exercise some patience now and then, but it's worth it! I, too, experience the most buffering around 10:00 p.m.

I understand how you feel about "complaining". yet , technically isn't this forum about SATELLITE, not IPTV?
No this is a forum for discussing Sky Angel, it dont matter how its delivered its still about Sky Angel.

Please don't take topics off topic because a few of you are not happy that Sky Angel will soon no longer be a satellite service.

Sky Angel IPTV Early Adopters - I need to ask a question of you. This relates to audio programming.

I have read that you cannot "go back" and "pvr" a radio program from the past 48 hours like you can the television channels because they use a different streaming technology to deliver audio than they do video.

My question is: Is there a way to program the IPTV box to tune into an audio channel at specific and/or recurring times? My objective would be to use a DVD recorder to record specific recurring audio programs (i.e. Focus on the Family, etc.). Yes, I know you can download the programs or subscribe to podcasts for many of those programs these days...but not all of them.

Thank you for any insights you may have to offer.

At this time the 48 hour feature is not available for the radio channels. There is no timer feature or audio tuner either. I hope they can do something so the 48 hour feature will work for the radio channels in the future.

Sky Angel stated from the beginning that they don't have rights to do the 48-hour feature for the family channels. As for the radio, it is streaming technology which does not allow for "going back." It is just a continuous stream. Plan B for radio programs is that most of the ones I like are on at various times on various channels throughout the day. I can also listen to most "on demand" on-line, either at the ministry's website or at oneplace.com. I try to make sure I catch my favorite radio ministries -- 'cuz I know I can watch the TV ministries whenever I want (within 48 hours, that is).

Glad to hear that the new service is (mostly) working for everyone! :)

I still have my doubts and concerns, but those are for another thread... ;)
(I finally gave in and invoked the "ignore" feature - what a shame)

Dr. Charles Stanley is the guest for the entire hour on this morning's "Every Day With Marcus and Lisa" show on FamilyNet. This year marks his 50th year in ministry. Worth watching -- and of course, you can "go back" and watch it anytime in the next 48 hours.

Thanks for the review

I'm considering Sky Angel IPTV. In fact, I'm not opposed to banning Sky Angel bashing much like the mods ban hack talk in other forums. The bashing is getting old, and it doesn't solve anything. If people want to be angry at someone, blame Dish Network or the Echostar 3 satellite. I too was a lifetime member, but I understand the cost factor of the new technology. I also see a huge potential for this service to grow.

While I get most of the channels via C-Band and KU band FTA, I don't get the Hallmark Channels, Discovery, Fox, the Weather Channel or THE NFL NETWORK!III I know that the NFL Network folks have been trying to get cable companies and dish companies to offer NFL Network as part of the basic package, but these companies view this as a premium channel. So, if you are like me and love the NFL but don't watch a lot of the other 80 + garbage channels, this is a great way to get the NFL Network.

What if some entrepreneur (maybe it's already being considered) finds a way to offer local channel packages via IPTV. Your local network affiliates could stream the channel to an ITPV service, I pay my $10.00 monthly charge, and now I have everything I need for well under 40 bucks.

All I know is that Sky Angel is no longer limited by the transponder issues, and they have separated the "secular" channels from the "Christian" channels giving viewers more choice. As long as they don't offer Showtime and Cinamax packages and remain true to being a faith and values service, I'm all for it.

I might even try to sell the service.

Peace!

Just what difference does it make if they might "offer" Showtime and Cinamax packages? Since they would obviously be premium.

As I've said many times it would be better from a true evangelistic standpoint for IPTV to be a free addition to other programming. If the Gospel is limited to those willing to pay $150 - $200 up front plus $15 a month just how profitable can it REALLY be expected to be?

I've brought this up before but years ago TBN's President used to say he wanted to be on the bird next to the Playboy channel so that perhaps by "chance" some might turn in to the Gospel on occasion.

Just what difference does it make if they might "offer" Showtime and Cinamax packages? Since they would obviously be premium.

As I've said many times it would be better from a true evangelistic standpoint for IPTV to be a free addition to other programming. If the Gospel is limited to those willing to pay $150 - $200 up front plus $15 a month just how profitable can it REALLY be expected to be?

I've brought this up before but years ago TBN's President used to say he wanted to be on the bird next to the Playboy channel so that perhaps by "chance" some might turn in to the Gospel on occasion.

I see your point. But then why stop at adding Showtime and Cinemax? Let's tell Sky Angel to add the Playboy Channel to its offering as a premium pay channel? After all, there's absolutely no chance that a Christian male would would ever be tempted to watch Showtime or Cinamex after 11:00 PM, so why would he be tempted to pay for the Playboy channel?

I don't want to hijack this thread, but having said what I said above, Sky Angel's primary audience are Christians. So where does Sky Angel draw the line on what to offer? I'm sure there are many Christians who would have a problem with the NFL network because the programming content and the commercials may not have a Christ centered focus. I just think the cons outweigh the pros on adding a premium movie channel.

Personally, I still want to see a true ala carte IPTV that lets me pay for what I want.