Review: Panasonic Goes For Value With Bright TC-55CX400

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Overall Impressions

In developing the TC-55CX400 Panasonic focused on offering good picture quality to a price-focused customer, and did a pretty good job. Colors compare favorably with some step-up competitive models costing hundreds more, although the set doesn’t provide all of the tools you’d expect to adjust the picture to particular lighting conditions in every viewing application.

Panasonic pre-adjusted the calibration pre-sets to accommodate typical living rooms (in standard mode) or dark viewing rooms (in cinema mode), trusting that people looking for an expensive TV aren’t going to care too much about getting the calibration adjustments just right.

Over all, the lack of important calibration settings, problems with video processing and motion compensation, and some mottled uniformity make it tough for this set to compete with most step-up “mid-fi” 4K UHD models. Also, the $899 selling price at some participating retailers is a little high compared with some other competitive models in this class — like the 120Hz 4K UHD Hisense 55H7B costing $200 less and providing 4 HDMI inputs. That model also consumes an estimated $21 per year in electricity according to its Energy Guide sticker, and that’s almost half as much as the TC-55CX400.

http://hdguru.com/review-panasonic-goes-for-value-with-bright-tc-55cx400-entry-4k-uhd-led-tv/

really wish someone would make a 'value' set that eliminates the useless smart functions and audio amp and tinny speakers, and doesn't compromise on the video quality and adjustments. This one is a non-starter.

Won't have the torch mode wow to compete on the Best Buy floor and won't have the controls necessary for a good calibration. Who is the customer?

Smart tv's are obnoxious. The new Sonys with Android were buggy, and then the menu is a mess. I just want to turn it on and watch, I also want to move thru the menu without it locking up like a Win 95 PC.

Plus the fact that I already have 11 ways to watch netflix in my house (I counted). I'm not going to use their app with fewer options.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)