Review: SatelliteAV GS120 GeoSat Pro Dish Motor

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
I just bought one of these motors a couple weeks ago, and after using it a bit I thought I needed to post a bit of a mini-review.

I received the motor in record time, well packed in a box with plenty of cushioning. Kudos to the folks at Satellite AV for a great packing effort. I have gotten things in the past from other vendors that one could tell no effort was considered in packing the product for shipment, this was not the case with Satellite AV.

Install was straightforward as with any other motor, but when you do that you will quickly notice that this NOT just a SG2100 with the Satellite AV name on it. The bracket is more robust and plated for corrosion resistance, and the u-bolts themselves are bigger than you get with a standard SG2100, I would say that they are 3/8 inch u-bolts instead of the 5/16 bolts that come with a SG2100, plated as well. The bracket also has the LATITUDE stamped on BOTH sides instead of confusing folks with latitude/elevation stamped on opposite sides of the brackets of other motors. Again, attention to detail that sets this product apart. It also included easy to follow, well written instructions for those folks that have never installed a dish motor before. Nice touch.

I mounted my homebrew mount onto the shaft of the motor, and ran it to my true south satellite. It was a bit off, and here is where this product shines: it is resettable with a paper clip! Other motors on the market have done away with the re-zero function on their motors, so if you get one a little off zero, it will not track properly. A quick reset on this unit, however, and all was good, it tracked the arc like a champ.
After a bit of use, one thing has particularly struck me about this motor: its QUIET! or maybe I should say quiet!

I have to really be close to hear it at all,and that's saying something, as my other motors I have sound like a box of rocks in a clothes dryer.

All in all, I like it very much. I've only been doing FTA for about a year now, but I know a good product when I see it. Yes, before you ask, it IS a couple bucks more than other motors of this type. But the construction and attention to detail is WORTH it. I am as cheap as they come let me tell you, but this product is worthy of your consideration!

Thanks to SatelliteAV for offering this great product at a great price! :up

Attached below are a couple of pics of the motor after install.

Attachments

• IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 806
  • IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts