Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I dont see that happening and I tried it a few times...didnt lock up yesterday when I set it up and blind scanned across the arc for 2 1/2 hours :)

Hopefully that's gone then. I haven't tested it much yet. The release notes only say that they fixed the motor issue, changed the boot logo, and removed the CCAM module. Funny that the file size is the same, but the CCAM menu is gone and also the encryption icons on the info banner are gone. I kind of liked those though... They wouldn't always work, but when they did, they'd light up green instead of yellow if a channel was in zero-key mode. It was kind of cool on 97W...

The AC-3 will work with an external decoder.

I'd prefer it to work through the rca plugs or the HDMI directly to a TV :)

Does HDMI, Component, Composite work Simultaneously at 720P???

Hi All,

I read somewhere in this thread that the Composite output does not work when the resolution is set to 1080i. Can someone confirm what happens when the resolution is set to 720P? What I would like is to have HDMI, Component and Composite working simultaneously or at lease HDMI and Composite working simultaneously.

Thanks for your help…

Looks to me like the only major thing to fix is AC-3 audio decoding,
Not to be a downer, bet I don't remember any claim of an internal Dolby Decoder. Is there a Dolby logo on the unit? (I'm not at home to look)

I read somewhere in this thread that the Composite output does not work when the resolution is set to 1080i. Can someone confirm what happens when the resolution is set to 720P? What I would like is to have HDMI, Component and Composite working simultaneously or at lease HDMI and Composite working simultaneously.

The rca cables (red/yellow/white) only work on 480i. The rest do not allow you to get into the menus

have not tried component

The rca cables (red/yellow/white) only work on 480i. The rest do not allow you to get into the menus

have not tried component

Thanks for the reply...

Bummer...both the AZBox and SVHD8000 provide video simultaneously on HDMI, Component and Composite. I use either HDMI or Component for the main TV and distribute Composite video via an RF modulator to all the other TV's throughout the house. I guess the ALi M3602 decoder used in the SatHawk (www.ali.com.tw/eng/products/list.htm) won't support this. Does anyone know if the Vantage 1100S can do this?

Thanks

The component output DOES work on 1080i.

To answer the Dolby question, there IS a Dolby logo on the front panel, and the manual claims it decodes Dolby even though it doesn't. On one hand, maybe the logo is required even for bitstreaming. It doesn't make sense to me, but most of the antics of intellectual property holders lately don't make sense to me. On the OTHER hand, I wouldn't think it would take a huge amount of CPU power to decode Dolby in software, if they decide to license it.

I dont see that happening and I tried it a few times...didnt lock up yesterday when I set it up and blind scanned across the arc for 2 1/2 hours :)

I only have four satellites, no motor, but I'm having a lot of signal dropouts tonight due to snow and wind and it hasn't locked up once. Hopefully it's fixed for good. (Having something not listed as a fix makes me worry that it might've been fixed accidentally...)

WB8GRS

The ALi M3602 decoder supports S/PDIF and 5.1 channel digital audio interface, hence AC-3 out via analog seems to be a HW limitation - not supported.

Not showing the STB menu at 480i resolutions may be purely a FW issue, and needs to be communicated to DVBWorld, as its important. But again, the ALi decoder is for "High Definition Applications", so it may need fixes or feedback from ALi to resolve this if possible. It may be a marketing imposed limitation similar to AC3 via analog.

Stuttering at high bit rates seems to be performance limitation impossible to overcome in current HW configuration, and 4:2:2 playback feels like a similar challenge - not supported by the ALi decoder. It doesn't support SATA, and lists only Jpeg playback via USB or PATA as hardware accelerated, though playback of other file types like Flash may possibly be supported later via FW.

MPEG2 MP@HL decoding profile is 1080i 4:2:0 with max bitrate 80 Mbits/sec (theoretical)
H.264 HP@L4.1 is 1,920×1,080@64 f/sec

Most of the remaining reported issues are lapses easily fixable in next FW releases, except of course improving tuner & demod sensitivity, though it wasn't much of a concern in most reports.

Attachments

• ALi Decoder Chipser Block Diagram.gif
    ALi Decoder Chipser Block Diagram.gif
    18.9 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Bummer...both the AZBox and SVHD8000 provide video simultaneously on HDMI, Component and Composite. I use either HDMI or Component for the main TV and distribute Composite video via an RF modulator to all the other TV's throughout the house.

yes the azbox can output a picture on all outputs but dont try and record when viewing on HDMI...wont work ;)

The SatHawk's chipset is listed as being Macrovision and HDCP compliant, so who knows what would happen if it did output composite simultaneously with HD.

By the way, it's also listed as being Dolby compliant, so maybe they just need to enable it.

??

Not showing the STB menu at 480i resolutions may be purely a FW issue,

I think you're confused. When you use the composite outputs the 480i is the ONLY option to see the menus. If you go to any other setting it says no OSD menus or something of the nature

If you use HDMI it works fine on all ports. So if you have HDMI setup the menus work fine on all NTSC settings (480, 720, 1080) and will output simultaneously. When I had mine hooked up to the main system I had it through HDMI and the composite cables to a HDD/DVD recorder

Hey now that the motor function is fixed, maybe I'll move it to the main room. Although the switch thing still bugs me as I cannot see the DBS stuff (only a few channels) ;)

Jim S.

The Dolby compliant sign doesn't mean the ALi chipset supports Dolby digital audio conversion to 2 channel analog audio - or it does? The decoder supports 5.1 digital audio out, on its Diagram Audio DAC is show as an external device. But the Audio DAC (Digital-to-Analog Converter) chipset may be soldered on the main board - you can check it. If its there - then its a fixable FW issue. ;)

It's great then if it outputs Menu on all video ports simultaneously in HD mode. My ATSC Samsung STB tuner is pretty good, but doesn't output Menu via Composite in HD mode that feels bizarre, as it requires manual switching btw HD and SD modes on the back of the STB.

Attachments

• Bizarre.jpg
    Bizarre.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
It's great then if it outputs Menu on all video ports simultaneously in HD mode. My ATSC Samsung STB tuner is pretty good, but doesn't output Menu via Composite that feels bizarre.

in a HD mode (720 or 1080) it wont output the menus in all outputs. HDMI will...havent tried component
It WILL record though in all outputs :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts