Reviews: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
CopyKat, Thanks for the info. The remote is clumsy for sure. I noticed the "OK" on the center button is already wearing off lol....With some decent firmware they'd sell a lot of these receivers for the money. Blind

Fixing the remote is easy. Use a soldering gun and re-position the IR emitting diode on the remote. It is being blocked by the plastic casing. You might also want to do same to the receiving end on the receiver. I did the above and my remote is working like magic.

This is my first receiver ever, so I can't really say what is missing...other than 4:2:2 - know I want that - but for now, it's pretty nice. Haven't tried out the PVR yet. It scans pretty nice, I'm running it through all my satellites on my list at the moment, that's a nice function.

Found some great looking HD content up there last night, I was impressed for sure with FTA.

Factory reset goes back to all eastern satellites on the list, which isn't really a big deal but annoying. Something that threw me for a loop last night was when I hit "V. Format", it runs through a bunch of non-north american resolutions only. Had to get back to the menu to select the ones that work with my TV.

Also, the remote is a piece of sh*t - buuut I'm still impressed with this unit. Take that with a grain of salt, since I've never used anything else. But I will say it seems to be noob friendly. Plus it seems like a good deal for an HD receiver.

Fixing the remote is easy. Use a soldering gun and re-position the IR emitting diode on the remote. It is being blocked by the plastic casing. You might also want to do same to the receiving end on the receiver. I did the above and my remote is working like magic.

Thanks for sharing this great fix!:up
I've included before and after pictures of my rendition.
The mod involves moving the IR LED to the other side of the pcb.
Just be sure to keep the same LED polarity.

Attachments

• SatHawk_remote 001s.jpg
    SatHawk_remote 001s.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 815
  • SatHawk_remote 002s.jpg
    SatHawk_remote 002s.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 904
I saw a message on another board saying that this receiver had been discontinued. Can anyone confirm? You can read what I wrote about it too:

SatHawk PVR800

0 offers found from global suppliers, manufacturers, exporters, and distributors related to wholesale solomend hd receiver
Jim, I can still find a few of these receivers for sale on the worldwide market but it looks like most of the sellers of this receiver have disappeared. The lack of vendors makes us think that there is a serious supply problem or the unit is being discontinued.

The support for this receiver has been dismal and its overall performance is not that great. IMO, It is way overpriced when purchased from a U.S. vendor.
I have not seen a single file for this receiver that has 100 downloads on any of the forums I have visited, so it looks like only a few people have bought these receivers. Poor support and poor performance usually leads to poor sales. Poor sales usually leads to the product being discontinued.
The sellers and vendors that still have these units will be reluctant to tell you they are being discontinued so do not look for an official announcement until most of the remaining stock is sold.
It could only be a supply problem, but my gut feeling says these receivers are finished and are being discontinued. GregH

Really wish the STB could dump the settings to USB drive directly instead of only via the RS-232 port. Having to hook up the PC to it the other day really stunk, when all I really needed it for was to move the file back and forth for editing.

I've managed to get the Satellite List to where I like to be in Factory Defaults and with the current Firmware. I added (and re-sorted) the Atlantic and America birds I want, and some I might use later (C-Band) ... By saving to the correct form of the database (I think it was Global vs. User when prompted) .. it either makes the changes live to current settings or become resident if the unit is reset to defaults. (Having a pre-populated satellite database of your specific choosing that actually works back into factory defaults when the unit is reset, is really cool.)

Now if I could just move these in and out of the box easily over the USB stick, all would be good. The remote has apparently proven to be easily fixed with a LED re-solder, and I'm going to see if I can score a Harmony remote and just move over to it altogether.

If the box has been discontinued, well dang it. That stinks. I'm able to live without 4:2:2, but the firmware could definitely use some further (supported!) development changes. The longer you play with this box, the easier it becomes to maneuver around through the minor qwirks it has.

Thanks for sharing this great fix!:up
I've included before and after pictures of my rendition.
The mod involves moving the IR LED to the other side of the pcb.
Just be sure to keep the same LED polarity.

N0Q,
Thanks for the pictures. How is the remote performance now? Much better isn't it?
Sanjap

Really wish the STB could dump the settings to USB drive directly instead of only via the RS-232 port. Having to hook up the PC to it the other day really stunk, when all I really needed it for was to move the file back and forth for editing.

I've managed to get the Satellite List to where I like to be in Factory Defaults and with the current Firmware. I added (and re-sorted) the Atlantic and America birds I want, and some I might use later (C-Band) ... By saving to the correct form of the database (I think it was Global vs. User when prompted) .. it either makes the changes live to current settings or become resident if the unit is reset to defaults. (Having a pre-populated satellite database of your specific choosing that actually works back into factory defaults when the unit is reset, is really cool.)

Now if I could just move these in and out of the box easily over the USB stick, all would be good. The remote has apparently proven to be easily fixed with a LED re-solder, and I'm going to see if I can score a Harmony remote and just move over to it altogether.

If the box has been discontinued, well dang it. That stinks. I'm able to live without 4:2:2, but the firmware could definitely use some further (supported!) development changes. The longer you play with this box, the easier it becomes to maneuver around through the minor qwirks it has.

If this is true. Then too sad. I will ask Sadoun to try to get the firmware code for this receiver so we can improve on it. No doubt it has some decent hardware.. but the software is lacking. If they could make the code open source.. this receiver would go places.

I got a reply from Sadoun on his website and he knows nothing about discontinuing of the sat hawk.I gave him the link from a few posts back and he thinks there is no truth in it.

Well then it's probably what I wrote about on the other board.

N0Q,
Thanks for the pictures. How is the remote performance now? Much better isn't it?
Sanjap
Sure is. Went from multiple presses per command to as good as the Sony TV remote next to it.
When you open the case up and look at the molding, it's obvious they put the LED on the wrong side.

I like the box. Thw switch motor issue sucks though. Hopefully the software improves wait and see.

I asked for the latest firmware. I got this it supposed to be able to dump by USB although I havent tried yet. Your mileage may vary.

NM_HDS2_CMT_1004151243.abs

Attachments

• NM_HDS2_CMT_1004151243.zip
    2.8 MB · Views: 196
Hey Sanjap,

Do you think it would be possible to use the channel editor to use your 22khz idea for a second LNB? it does allow me to input the Hi/Low frequency in the channel editor!!

What do you think?

Seems like, You can modify a "User" defined and "Univseral" LNB with 22khz tone in the software. Its late but I want to give this a try tommorow or Monday. I wonder if disceqc switch settings would stick also in a motorized setup.

Anyway Im sure somebody has already tried this and Im wasting everyones time on another post but what the hay I'll give it a shot tommorow and see what comes of it.

Attachments

• Channel_Editor_Screen_Shot.jpg
    Channel_Editor_Screen_Shot.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 153
Seems like, You can modify a "User" defined and "Univseral" LNB with 22khz tone in the software. Its late but I want to give this a try tommorow or Monday. I wonder if disceqc switch settings would stick also in a motorized setup.

Anyway Im sure somebody has already tried this and Im wasting everyones time on another post but what the hay I'll give it a shot tommorow and see what comes of it.

Ago,
I tried that already and unfortunately.. it doesn't transfer to the receiver. Again, i strongly think if they can do universal lnb then they can easily do motor/switch because each universal lnb has a 22k built into it. How hard is it then just to tweak the menus to include the option? This has baffled me and both sadoun or the manufacturer cannot answer.

Sure is. Went from multiple presses per command to as good as the Sony TV remote next to it.
When you open the case up and look at the molding, it's obvious they put the LED on the wrong side.

I noticed that too. They did put the diode on the wrong side. Maybe Sadoun should correct that before shipping out the boxes. That will reduce the number of CS calls.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)