RG 11 Connector Install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

mtnxtreme

Original poster
Jul 7, 2012
Catskill Mts. N.Y.
I have an RG 11 run underground from my home to barn, so the dish is not mounted on the house, we ran an underground RG 11 cable that has factory installed ends on the barn end. At the house end I need to install 2 connectors, my cable is marked TFC T-10, I bought a few connectors off the internet marked DRS 11-L, I'mm 99% positive they are compression fittings, the DTV guy that did the install had no tools for RG11, believe it or not, so he left me a RG6 temporarily laying over the ground so we at least have TV, but now I don't know how to install these connectors and/or what type of tool to install them and can't find anyone local, and even very little info on the net as to how to install them, can anyone help. Thanks

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

The tool for RG11 cable should be the same type as for RG6, just sized perhaps. I haven't ever used RG11, but I would think the same tool would work for both. Anyway, this is something the Directv tech should have done for you. I would call the local install company and ask them to come back and complete the job. Here is a link for one:http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...&cagpspn=pla&gclid=CN7JhJrVh7ECFQxshwodNEi_jg

Checking some other tools, not all do RG6 and RG11. Still, the installer should have had the right tools with him.

Last edited:
Theres really no reason a Directv installer would have the tools or materials to work with RG11. They dont use it in standard installs so why would they be expected to have ends for customer supplied cable or the tools to put them on?

RG11 is twice as thick as RG6 and requires a crimper or compression tool designed for it. RG6/59 tools will not work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII using Tapatalk

some of us have the tools but they are not standard and are never used for your standard tech. If you can flag down a cable guy he should have the tools to get your connectors hooked up or worse you could buy them off fleebay

Technically residential techs are not suppose to use R11. So with that said why exactly would they be equipped to work with RG11? They don't want us to use it as it could make the signal too "hot" and damage the receiver(s). My crimpers and strippers do RG11 but I also don't use the crappy stuff Directv gives us to use.

JerseyMatt said:
Whoever fed you that crock of bull$#!+ has no f'n clue about how RF/IF works.

It's the new Directv service guidelines. Explain it to them, we just have to follow it. They believe that if a receiver is taking -25 dbs or more it could damage components in the receiver and give false readings. I can say it does give false readings, for a few weeks whenever we ran an IV retest in our market we was required to put an 8-SWM splitter directly behind the receiver do drop the dbs enough to get correct readings.

mtnxtreme said:
I have a 110' run, thus the reason to use RG11 and not get a signal drop, or so I was told.

You'll still get a drop but NOTHING you can even register or notice

Is it possible you can give me some tips on install, I can't find anything online and I've installed the RG 6 connectors where the center conductor protrudes from the end, these have a pre-installed center conductor, can't really figure out how much to strip, if I buy a RG11 specific stripper / cripmers does it usually have a stop so you don't strip and crimp too much?

mtnxtreme said:
Is it possible you can give me some tips on install, I can't find anything online and I've installed the RG 6 connectors where the center conductor protrudes from the end, these have a pre-installed center conductor, can't really figure out how much to strip, if I buy a RG11 specific stripper / cripmers does it usually have a stop so you don't strip and crimp too much?

Yeah, if you buy the right tools it'll either have built in stoppers on the ends or it'll tell you how much to take off

Are these compression ends or crimp-on?

Most decent one-step strippers have anRG 11 guide, but a crimper/compressor with an RG11 die is going to be a bit expensive..

The RG11 ends have a built-in center conductor because the actual center conductor in RG11 is thicker than it is in RG6, and it wont fit into a connector socket. You just have to strip the end per the guide on the stripper tool. On mine you butt the cable against the stopper to get a good strip.

20120708151715.jpg

Last edited:
They are marked DRS-11-L and if you look them up online they say compression, so what does that mean compared to crimp, excuse my greenness, but I assumed they were the same. I just bought RG11 connectors figuring they are all the same.

Compression fittings are the standard now. Basically they have a collar that you use a special tool to slide into the locked position. This collar is wedge shaped, so it grips the cable. Crimp-on fittings have a soft metal outer collar that requires a hex-shaped tool to crimp around the cable. These are old news/inferior but they are cheaper (the crimper is not though).

Compression fittings and tool (the blue piece is the locking collar that is pressed in by the tool):

PPC_RG6comp_conn.jpg
20120708172429.jpg

254489.jpg

Crimp fittings and tool:

CATV-RF-Coaxial-Cable-Crimp-Connector.jpg
20120708172532.jpg

2-cavity-coax-crimp-tool.jpg

Last edited:
JerseyMatt said:
Compression fittings are the standard now. Basically they have a collar that you use a special tool to slide into the locked position. This collar is wedge shaped, so it grips the cable. Crimp-on fittings have a soft metal outer collar that requires a hex-shaped tool to crimp around the cable. These are old news/inferior but they are cheaper (the crimper is not though).

Compression fittings and tool (the blue piece is the locking collar that is pressed in by the tool):

Crimp fittings and tool:

Nice explanation with pics! Pretty much sums it up ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)